Outdoor POE Camera Recommendations

redsox786

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the market to buy 4-5 POE cameras for the outside of my house, but need some help with recommendations. I've been doing some research, but am overwhelmed by the different camera's that are out there. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

• I'm leaning towards a turret-style camera, but are there any advantages/disadvantages over a bullet-style? These cameras will be installed on my roof edge (soffit), so I was thinking the turret would be a cleaner look. But I'm open to either style!
  • Low-light; we do not have any street lights, so after my outdoor lights that are on timer turn off, it's pitch black outside. So I'm looking for something that has great low-light performance.
  • NVR/RTSP; I'd like to have all of the camera's feed into a NVR (preferbly by the same manufacturer of the camera), but then also having the ability to use the RTSP streams to feed into Blue Iris (I'm not sure if I'd keep the BI setup, but would like to at least explore it and see it's capabilities).
  • 4K; I'd like to have at least 4K, but in my research it looks like it's not about the megapixels but more so the image sensor and aperture?
Any recommendations/guidance, would be greatly appreciated!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

How high are your soffits? Mounting cameras higher than 7-1/2' will result in great shots of the tops of heads and no good identifying shots.

Every camera needs at least some visible light to maintain color at night. In extremely dark locations infrared will work for black and white images. Here's the current stable of low light capable cameras. Have a look at the reviews and most will include night motion which is the key. Any camera can be made to produce a color still image in poor to little lighting conditions IF the shutter speed, exposure time, is low enough. The problem is that means an exposure time of 1/3 second or more which will produce blurred, useless, motion video. The exposure time needs to be at least 1/60 second and preferably 1/100 second or higher.

Courtesy of Wittaj -

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar specs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Dual Sensor 4K

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

PTZ Cameras

180 Degree FOV 4K

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read and plan, take it slow, listen to the experts here. I came here more than a year ago thinking I wanted Hikvision and a NVR, ended up with Dahua (EmpireTech) and Blue Iris. My one big mistake was buying too small of a POE switch which is not that big of a problem as cameras tend to multiply like rabbits (I should have heeded that advice). I thought no way I will ever mount more than four:rofl:.

Blue Iris is awesome software, following the advice here it was truly plug n play and has been 100% stable for about 18 months recording 24/7. When you have a hiccup or confusion, you can get an answer here, often in minutes. I did not hesitate for a minute at the end of year one to ante up for extended support.

The Dahua 5442 on a PFB204W mount is an extremely clean look on a soffit. This setup blends to almost invisible once you get about 30 feet away or more. Even up close it has a very professional look.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the market to buy 4-5 POE cameras for the outside of my house, but need some help with recommendations. I've been doing some research, but am overwhelmed by the different camera's that are out there. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

• I'm leaning towards a turret-style camera, but are there any advantages/disadvantages over a bullet-style? These cameras will be installed on my roof edge (soffit), so I was thinking the turret would be a cleaner look. But I'm open to either style!
  • Low-light; we do not have any street lights, so after my outdoor lights that are on timer turn off, it's pitch black outside. So I'm looking for something that has great low-light performance.
  • NVR/RTSP; I'd like to have all of the camera's feed into a NVR (preferbly by the same manufacturer of the camera), but then also having the ability to use the RTSP streams to feed into Blue Iris (I'm not sure if I'd keep the BI setup, but would like to at least explore it and see it's capabilities).
  • 4K; I'd like to have at least 4K, but in my research it looks like it's not about the megapixels but more so the image sensor and aperture?
Any recommendations/guidance, would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome @redsox786

My guess you will need more than 4 cameras .. I personally recommend starting with ONE good 4MP 1/1.8" sensor varifocal and a small PoE switch and start to play around with potential placements. ( look for the test rig setup in the threads )

"Read and plan, take it slow, listen to the experts here. I came here more than a year ago thinking I wanted Hikvision and a NVR, ended up with Dahua (EmpireTech) and Blue Iris. My one big mistake was buying too small of a POE switch which is not that big of a problem as cameras tend to multiply like rabbits (I should have heeded that advice). I thought no way I will ever mount more than four :rofl:. " - Robo2020

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recommend getting a mini pc with a dual nic and installing Ubuntu Server. Then install Frigate NVR in a docker container. Both Ubuntu and Frigate are free. Connect one nic to your PoE swtich and the other to your router. Frigate is AMAZING. If you want object detection, like having the software detect a person on your back deck, you'll also want to buy a Google Coral TPU on a usb dongle and plug it into your mini pc.

Also, I run ddwrt on my router. Ddwrt has WireGuard, which allows you to connect to your home network when you're away from home. This lets me monitor my cameras when I'm away from.

I've also purchased a Raspberry Pi4 which runs Home Assistant. Frigate integrates with Home Assistant really well. Through Home Assistant, I'm able to harness the cameras to do all sorts of things. For example, I have a smart flood light that's too sensitive and constantly turning on because the wind blows the branches on a nearby tree. I bypass the flood light's motion sensor and have Home Assistant turn on the flood light it if detect a person in front yard. So not the wind cannot turn on the light. Home Assistant can also be set to send your cell phone a notification if it detects a person on the deck, etc.

Frigate = Frigate NVR
Mini PC = DD WRT = DD-WRT
Home Assistant = Home Assistant

Enjoy building your custom system.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.