Outdoor PoE for parking lot surveillance

Jon Kovach

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Searched, but didn't find an answer. Posted here before, bought a camera for indoor use, and am very happy with it (besides the fact that I bought an international model, rather than US domestic, but not a big deal). Now that I understand how these work, I want to buy more!

I need an outdoor camera that I will mount to the side of my brick building. Will drill through wall to run an Ethernet cord, to hook it to the network and PoE. Not interested in wifi.

Need to use via Blue Iris. Need night vision, maybe with capability to follow motion? Need enough resolution that I can capture entire lot (small lot), and if someone does something, be able to get somewhat detailed imagery for the cops.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost around $100-$150, but not sure if that is possible?

Thanks,
Jon

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

Look at one of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras and a junction box ( so you can minimize the hole through the mortar in between the brick )

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How big of an area are you trying to cover? Coverage and detail are always opposing goals with a single sensor. Consider multiple cameras with longer focal lengths.

Jon Kovach

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jon Kovach

n3wb
Reaction score
How big of an area are you trying to cover? Coverage and detail are always opposing goals with a single sensor. Consider multiple cameras with longer focal lengths.
Maybe 200ft. wide and 100ft. away from camera. I realize I'll have to have it be stationary, and I'm okay with that. I've thought about getting 2 or 3, but want to start with 1...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - that vendor is being deceitful, that is NOT a Dahua starlight camera.

Remember to be very cautious about purchasing cameras from random Amazon, Ebay, and Ali vendors - MANY vendors are lying and deceptive in their ads.

Only buy from vendors which others here recommend.

Note: Andy should have his store info on his profile page.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe 200ft. wide and 100ft. away from camera. I realize I'll have to have it be stationary, and I'm okay with that. I've thought about getting 2 or 3, but want to start with 1...
Hi Jon,

You will certainly need multiple cameras.

Considering that, when you drill your first hole in the brick wall I would consider passing 2 cat5e/cat6 cables through to a junction box, and then running one cable to an adjacent junction box via a short conduit section so you can mount 2 cameras ( one on each junction box ) in that location with the work of drilling one hole.

One camera can be set for a wider FOV and one to cover the entrance to the lot.