Outdoor POE Switch

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can suggest an IP rated POE solution.

I'm wanting a cheap switchjust to get a camera up and running but I want to mount it outdoor either under a car port or in a garage to avoid having to drill multiple holes through the house wall should I ever need to add more cameras. The thinking is here I can have a single cable through the wall from the router to the switch and then distribute the POE from the switch to the cameras.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for this therefore either in a waterproof switch, or if there's nothing good / reasonabl priced, for a cheap enclosure that won't cause the switch inside to overheat but will protect it from the damp atmosphere outside.

Another quick question as well,wil poe+ swicthesw work with poe cameras and vice versa?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
But you will also need a cable to power the switch.
I have power I can tap into under the carport and power in the garage. Either way, even if bringing it outside, if eventually I had 4 cameras it's 4 + power. This way it's hopefully 1 but 2 with power if I can't use an outside source.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The POE switch for our camera network is located in the garage for the very same reason. I could easily pull one Cat 5 cable from the garage into the house where the main network cabinet is located. The POE switch is inside a regular Leviton media enclosure with an added wired outlet. Added a UPS as well to support the POE switch. The POE switch puts out some decent heat. My biggest concern when scoping this out was low and high temps. Humidity not so much. The enclosure is mounted on an outside wall too. I preferred an inside wall spot but didn't have one that was convenient. Not enough longevity to confirm this was a good decision but so far so good.

What's your garage situation? Enclosed with regular doors?
How about environment - temps, humidity - do metal items in your garage get rusty quickly?
I think if you have the POE in some type of enclosure, temps, humidity and dust are somewhat regulated. The heat of the POE should keep the area dry. All assumptions though and each location requires careful consideration.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The POE switch for our camera network is located in the garage for the very same reason. I could easily pull one Cat 5 cable from the garage into the house where the main network cabinet is located. The POE switch is inside a regular Leviton media enclosure with an added wired outlet. Added a UPS as well to support the POE switch. The POE switch puts out some decent heat. My biggest concern when scoping this out was low and high temps. Humidity not so much. The enclosure is mounted on an outside wall too. I preferred an inside wall spot but didn't have one that was convenient. Not enough longevity to confirm this was a good decision but so far so good.

What's your garage situation? Enclosed with regular doors?
How about environment - temps, humidity - do metal items in your garage get rusty quickly?
I think if you have the POE in some type of enclosure, temps, humidity and dust are somewhat regulated. The heat of the POE should keep the area dry. All assumptions though and each location requires careful consideration.

In the UK the top temp ever is probably 90F although in a building it probably gets hotter. The coldest probably -14C although the latter hasn't been see for at least a decade or two. I'd say the lowest these days is probably -2 or -3 and even then usually in winter now it rarely goes below 2 or 3C

For the garage, outside wall, enclosed and dry but metal items do rust. I'm kind of assuming the heat in the enclosure will keep the humidity at bay.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CCTVCam - Those temps seem reasonable for a garage install.
The operating temp specs on my POE switch are 0-50C, 32-122F.
As long as you're not hosing down the area you would be okay with a regular metal or plastic enclosure, nothing fancy.
Below is a snap of the media cabinet I used. There is a metal door not installed yet and I plan to panel in the area with plywood to finish it off.
The wiring is not buttoned up yet since it's only been a 1/2 year and sadly it normally takes me years to finish any project!

garage POE cabinet.jpg

Last edited:

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti USW-Flex is an outdoor rated, PoE powered and pass through switch, for a reasonable price. It works very, very well. Only caveat is you must set it up with the UniFi controller.
If someone wanted to use it and needs help, I’m happy to assist.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
CCTVCam, I use a box like Looney2ns pointed out in West Texas with an Aumox 5 port switch. It had no problems this summer in 100+ temperature weeks on end. I've got a TPLink non Poe switch and it performs well. I think you will do well with it. I have used Mikrotik products in the past. They make an outside access point that did well in the heat also. Maybe they make a Poe switch?

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately Aumox are not available in my region.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can suggest an IP rated POE solution.

I'm wanting a cheap switchjust to get a camera up and running but I want to mount it outdoor either under a car port or in a garage to avoid having to drill multiple holes through the house wall should I ever need to add more cameras. The thinking is here I can have a single cable through the wall from the router to the switch and then distribute the POE from the switch to the cameras.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for this therefore either in a waterproof switch, or if there's nothing good / reasonabl priced, for a cheap enclosure that won't cause the switch inside to overheat but will protect it from the damp atmosphere outside.

Another quick question as well,wil poe+ swicthesw work with poe cameras and vice versa?
I use Ubiquiti Flex POE switches outside. 5 port hub - one POE in and 4 ports out with a 46W max load capacity. Powered by 60+ watts POE so only one cable needed into it.

~ $120 USD each I think. Work flawless for me - I do have them in an outdoor "project box" too though.

Cons - need the unifi ecosystem to use/manage them.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Bit too pricey for me Brad but thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at the budget end of the market.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I've settled on these. Lets hope everything is suitable.

I couldn't get any of the above enclosures in the UK, even on Amazon, but I found this. It's made for a Tycon Swicth, but I can see no reason why I shouldn't be able to put another brand of switch in it:

BTW how do you fasten your swicthes inside these enclosures as there appears to be no mounting brackets or screw holes in any of them?

PS it might have to go outside under the car port now, so direct rain protected but exposed to the fully outside moist air. Thoughts on the effect on longevitity?

Last edited:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi CCTVcam, It looks like that box is built for the tycon switches which sit on the left and right ledges at center of box. Mine had screw standoffs in it. Instead of that, i used velcro stuck to back of switch and box. Not so good in high heat but worked for a while.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi CCTVcam, It looks like that box is built for the tycon switches which sit on the left and right ledges at center of box. Mine had screw standoffs in it. Instead of that, i used velcro stuck to back of switch and box. Not so good in high heat but worked for a while.
Yeah I think that's going to be the solution or to put small bolts through the bottom with rubber seals. I couldn't find another case. The UK seems very limited in supply and choice.

Last edited: