Over -allocation error

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need some help setting up clip storage.
I don't know why but I am getting overallocation errors.
I set the "New" folder to 4 GB, and to move to folder "Stored" when limit has been reached -or so I thought this is what would happen.
Instead,it gets bigger and I get the overallocation error.
My "Alerts" folder is set to 1GB and to move to "Stored" folder when limit is reached -but this doesn't happen either.
What am I doing wrong here? I've had BI for a few years now but haven't had this problem before
I'm running BI version 4.8.6.3 x64 on Win 7

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You’re moving New to Stored and then Stored to Aux 1... Stop moving stuff around :)

Set your New to the one single drive you want to record to. So if that is E: then don’t use Stored or Aux. Just set New to the E: drive and set its size to 90% of the capacity of E:. Then check Delete.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Why move anything? Just put all the video on your E drive and don't move anything. Your C drive should hold the OS, BI and the BI database. Everything else, video, belongs on the E drive. Move the New folder to the E drive and get it off the C drive. This is especially important if your C drive is a solid state drive since they have a finite life, based on write operations, and the video streams are constantly writing to the drives. As it stands you are allocating more space than the C drive has from what I can see.

Additionally, set combine/cut, in each cameras record tab, to 1 gig to make reviewing video a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited:

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why move anything? Just put all the video on your E drive and don't move anything. Your C drive should hold the OS, BI and the BI database. Everything else, video, belongs on the E drive. Move the New folder to the E drive and get it off the C drive. This is especially important if your C drive is a solid state drive since they have a finite life, based on write operations, and the video streams are constantly writing to the drives. As it stands you are allocating more space than the C drive has from what I can see.

Additionally, set combine/cut, in each cameras record tab, to 1 gig to make reviewing video a heck of a lot easier.
OK, thanks -but what about the Alerts folder? Also on E, and how large approx?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, thanks -but what about the Alerts folder? Also on E, and how large approx?
Did you not read my post above? Allocate 90% of E: for New.

Alerts can be left at default settings. Its just a "bookmark" for the clip database. As clips are removed so are alerts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You’re moving New to Stored and then Stored to Aux 1... Stop moving stuff around :)

Set your New to the one single drive you want to record to. So if that is E: then don’t use Stored or Aux. Just set New to the E: drive and set its size to 90% of the capacity of E:. Then check Delete.
I did this, I have a 3.5TB disk and I set New to 3000GB. Now it deletes all recorded files after just 1 day even though I have not checked off "limit clip age", and only 13 GB used in NEW. Why?

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) when you delete the old files, did you rebbot or rebuild the DB ?
2) what else is on the e drive. ?
3) is e drive local or a nas?
4) screen shot of the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab.

Do a reboot of the BI PC.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) when you delete the old files, did you rebbot or rebuild the DB ?
2) what else is on the e drive. ?
3) is e drive local or a nas?
4) screen shot of the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab.

Do a reboot of the BI PC.
1) The files were deleted automatically -that's the problem. compact/repair database each day is checked off -always had this checked off.
2) Only alerts folder
3)local

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Click on the graph with the lightening bolt, then click on the clip storage, drive allocation, tab and take a screen shot of that.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be time to do an uninstall/reinstall of BI as I'm not seeing any reason clips would be deleted daily from the screenshots you are showing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at the blue and the green, Green is unallocated space. Ther Blue is the used space, You only have 66 B allocated. The black is the available space for BI to use, there is none.

1) delete the BI data base, everything in the C:\BlueIris\DB folder
2) reboot BI PC

3) provide a screen shot of the clip storage again.

There currently is no reason to reinstall BI.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
look at the blue and the green, Green is unallocated space. Ther Blue is the used space, You only have 66 B allocated. The black is the available space for BI to use, there is none.

1) delete the BI data base, everything in the C:\BlueIris\DB folder
2) reboot BI PC

3) provide a screen shot of the clip storage again.

There currently is no reason to reinstall BI.
I think that didi it :)

Attachments

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you help me with this one?
This message keeps coming up on one of my cams when trying to record: Clip: write error 80000000. undefined

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not seen this error before.
1) screen shot of the clip storage ?
2) is the camera on the local network, not wifi
3) screen shot of the camera that is giving the problem , the record tab ?
4) screen shot of the camera that is giving the problem , the video tab and the configure button(network ip camera configure) ?
5) what version of bi are you running...

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Clip storage changes radically from one day to the next for some reason.You cna check the new clip storage I uploaded now against the previous on. I have not changed anything since we last discussed these problems. Now again BI deletes files after a little while. I have no recordings older than 4 days now.
I have 8 cams and all are on local network -not wifi.
I' getting the clip error write from 2 of my cams now, but they have the same Record settings.
I also tried deoleting everything in the BI folder again but the next day it started screwing up again. Maybe time for a complete reinstall.
I'm running version 4.8.6.3 64 bit

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Uninstall/reinstall as I mentioned earlier. Doesnt make sense that your unallocated space is changing on its own. Wonder if it’s a drive issue.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will not get much support on version 4. It looks like a database corruption problem. Again delete the DB and reboot.
I would look at the SMART data for both your disk drives. Look for a high error rate or recovery rate. You may need to replace the C Drive.
What other software is on this PC.
Does the PC crash and reboot ?
Is the BI PC on a UPS ?