Overlay weather information on chinese IP cameras

ovisopa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just installed 2 external cameras on my home and one 720p mini varifocal camera in my garage (on the CNC machine).

I'm curious if anyone tried to hack or mod the cameras to overlay the temperature on the video, I was thinking it will be great to have at least the temperature on the video.

I'm now setting up the NVR to record the two 1080p cameras and the small one that's only 720p, I don;t use Blue iris, I purchased a small NVR, they say it can record 8 full HD streams, I have some doubds but we will see.

If any one has made any progress in this direction please let me know, I have some ideas in mind, using an cheap Arduino board that is connected to the same network, but first I want to see if others have made it ...

Have a nice day.

Wired camera :
Device type: C6F0SgZ3N0P0L0
Software: V6.1.8.2.1-20141021

Wifi camera :
Device type: C6F0SiZ3N0P0L0
Software V6.1.1.2.1-20150316

ovisopa

n3wb
Reaction score
So nobody is interested to overlay the temperature over the video ? or all of you guys use the BlueIris software and that plugin I seen on the forum, which actually is really great but unfortunately I don't want to have a PC running all the time for camera recording.

I made some test and I'm able change the camera name every 5 or 10 minutes (it's customizable) using some small and cheap devices
1. Arduino Promini
2. Temperature and humidity sensor
3. Wifi adaptor

All devices together cost under 10 dollars. I haven't tested the wifi adaptor but it should create any issues. It's great it can be placed anywhere you need it just to power it up and have the wifi router in range.

My only problem is the limited size of CAMERA NAME field, as what I was thinking was to change the camera name and include the temperature also, so instead of IPCAM1 or Basement to have the name + temperature and humidity like this :

IPCAM T:20.3 H:80
Basement T:20.3 H:80

I read the PDF file with CGI commands and it seems the NAME filed can only contain 16 characters, also I can't add the degree symbol there.

I hoped someone else has hacked/modified the firmware so we can use more characters and overlay different information, but maybe it's a hardware issue with the chipset ?

Really appreciating any advices from anyone..

Attachments

ovisopa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman, so this is one of the differences between chinese $60 FullHD cameras and HIKvision $90+ FullHd cameras, I believe they use a different chipset, couldn't find it yet, but as I seen on the mentioned forum it's very easy to send informations to the camera, and everything can be placed wherever I want with x and y values. looking great, the only problem is I don't have a HIKVISION camera, I wanted to buy some more chinese cameras the same type like ones I already own, the image quality is quite good but now I will probably try a HIK camera, I have more ideas with the overlay information and it will pretty helpful to be able to overlay much more information, much better if I can chose where the information to be placed.

If anyone knows more information about the cameras with hi3510 chipset and others in this series please let me know.

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman, so this is one of the differences between chinese $60 FullHD cameras and HIKvision $90+ FullHd cameras, I believe they use a different chipset, couldn't find it yet, but as I seen on the mentioned forum it's very easy to send informations to the camera, and everything can be placed wherever I want with x and y values. looking great, the only problem is I don't have a HIKVISION camera, I wanted to buy some more chinese cameras the same type like ones I already own, the image quality is quite good but now I will probably try a HIK camera, I have more ideas with the overlay information and it will pretty helpful to be able to overlay much more information, much better if I can chose where the information to be placed.

If anyone knows more information about the cameras with hi3510 chipset and others in this series please let me know.

Thank you.
You are unlikely to find someone using that chipset who also tinkered with overlays...there is simply not that large of a user base...only a small subset of users care about overlays...
I would stay away from noname cameras despite the fact that they are cheaper..its not worth the hassle...