Overwhelmed! Help? Please?!

Reaction score
Admitted total surveillance camera n00b here and I'm a little lost on what direction would work best to start off with.

My immediate plan is to use Blue Iris on an old backup computer, purchase cameras, and upgrade the system as tike goes. That will let me focus my time and budget on the cameras.
My main focus is to get coverage on the front door and back door, both of which have mostly poor lighting. Threads here state that the Dahua Starlight cameras are the way to go, and that the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE is the best bang for your buck. My first question is, is there another model that I should be looking at for superior video quality or night vision capability that's a little more expensive? The initial cameras will be best used for static, close proximity facial detection and what not. The next round I buy will be for distance/full yard coverage. I do not currently have an estimated distance of the porch, or entire property. Definitely something I'm working on.

I hate to ask questions like this, but Dahua offers a lot more options than I anticipated. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@IAmHumpotron Welcome. Just buy 1 HDW5231R and try it in each area (temporarily). Then you'll have a better idea of what to buy after you've done an initial assessment.

Looking for 1st system for home advice

Don't skimp on the cables. If you buy cheap cable and they degrade, it will be a pain to have to rewire new ones after a couple of years. Personally, I went with cat5e solid.

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger and picked up two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy. After I get these two in and setup, I'll be able to figure out my next requirements. Hoping to have as much coverage as possible around the house.

Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed to make a decision! I'm always hesitant when dropping that kind of money.