Paint it Black?

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got some new Dahua cameras today (Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE).

Some will be soffit mounted, where I have very dark brown or black aluminum (as per this photo from another post).

Is it going to present any serious longevity or other issue if I paint the white body/housing black or dark brown?

I will add I am at about 45N latitude, so it gets quite hot here at times, but not like say Arizona hot!
Also when hottest the sun is high and the camera would be shaded due to being soffit mounted.

Thanks for any input.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm suspecting that all you'll be able to get is opinions. I've had a few cameras pained dark brown for a couple of years with no problems. One is in full sun all day, the others are shaded at least half the day. I've read a number of opinions posted that the added heat will damage the camera. I was a bit surprised to learn that Dahua makes some cameras in black.

Black Color Camera

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We paint cameras to match clients exteriors or architects specs.
There are 3 ways that work well.

1. Spend the money and have them powder coated.
It ain’t cheap, but they look amazing and last forever.

2. Paint with proper bonding paint. Clean and abrade the surfaces beforehand.
(Steps 1 and 2 require completely gutting the camera and removing all electronics, glands and dome.)

3. Mask dome, abrade surface and spray with Tremclad primer. Use Tremclad, BBQ paint or other high bond paint. Do 3-5 very light coats. End result is pretty impressive.

I have done all three. If you take your time, #3 if fine. I have a Hik mounted to a customers charcoal soffit on a semi recessed RAB box.
I removed the dome, masked the top and base (carefully abraded base and dome housing). I primed and sprayed 5 light coats. It’s very even, no drips or blobs and it looks like factory.

Just take your time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, Hikvision sells a black version of most of their cameras and mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got some new Dahua cameras today (Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE).

Some will be soffit mounted, where I have very dark brown or black aluminum (as per this photo from another post).

Is it going to present any serious longevity or other issue if I paint the white body/housing black or dark brown?

I will add I am at about 45N latitude, so it gets quite hot here at times, but not like say Arizona hot!
Also when hottest the sun is high and the camera would be shaded due to being soffit mounted.

Thanks for any input.
Hi @strathglass

If the cameras are shaded from direct sunlight during the hottest time of the day that will make a significant difference as the radiant heat they pick up will be significantly reduced.

Note, this has been tested a number of times - and there is a significant amount of science covering temp differences due to absorbing radiant heat and differing colors / materials.

Here's just a sample reference.. there's many more out there for those willing to look deeper
"The mythbusters guys did a test, and the following summary appeared on mythbustersresults.com: "The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler.""

I believe it will not be a significant issue if the cameras are shaded - the issue really comes when the camera is already in a hot ambient temperatures and also is absorbing excessive radiant heat - typically when exposed to direct sunlight.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good input, thanks guys.
Hey hikwpg: Re step 3: I am not clear if that is two different paints - one primer coat and then a BBQ paint...or is that all the same. If two, are both spray paints? Also a quick scuff with 120 grit paper or what do you do to abrade?

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good input, thanks guys.
Hey hikwpg: Re step 3: I am not clear if that is two different paints - one primer coat and then a BBQ paint...or is that all the same. If two, are both spray paints? Also a quick scuff with 120 grit paper or what do you do to abrade?
Method 3 is just masking off the camera, clean and abrade the surface, then do a light tremclad primer, then 3-5 very light coats of tremclad or similar high bond paint. Looks great and won’t chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you paint cameras a dark color, and mounted in the Sun, you will increase the internal temp of the parts. Elevated temps lower the life of electronics, actual fact. As @mat200 stated, a solar shied will significantly reduce the Solar radiant heat to the unit. I have worked in the Military Defense business for 35+ years performing environmental tests. When we want to perform an accelerated life test, we operate the unit under high temp extremes. This environment is proven to reduce the reliability life of electronics. I will let you figure it out if you want your cameras more reliable or not. If mounted under eves and out of Sun, or solar shield, paint away!

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will give it a go and post the results once I get it done.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Having worked with industrial electronics and telemetry for over 40 years, the short answer for me is: Leave 'em white if they will be exposed to direct sunlight when it's hot outside.

The tests mentioned above measuring the interior temperatures of cars don't begin to show how hot a small aluminum enclosure can get when exposed to direct sunlight, and the extreme differences you get depending on the paint color.

A black enclosure will get hot enough to burn your fingers when touched, while the same box, painted white, will remain fairly cool to the touch.

And remember that when calculating the expected lifespans for various electronic components, the general rule is that the life is halved for each 10 degrees C (18 degrees F) of increased temperature.

Now, to complicate matters, if the device is NOT exposed to direct solar (or other infrared) radiation, it will actually run a bit cooler if painted black versus white. That is because "the rule of reciprocity" applies to all electromagnetic radiation, so, basically, an antenna that is tuned to receive well at a particular wavelength will also be tuned to efficiently transmit (radiate) at that wavelength. So, as black paint absorbs infrared light well, it also radiates infra red light well, too.

Anyhow, if it was me, and the cameras will be subjected to direct sunlight during hot weather, I would opt for white enclosures. If they'll always be shaded, go nuts with the Krylon, baby! :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that heat affects component reliability, but that's not the only factor. In some cases, aesthetics are important enough to accept the risk of a camera failing earlier. In my case, aesthetics and stealth are both a factor. I've got cameras mounted in trees and have them painted dark brown and black to blend in. They're not invisible, yet they don't stick out like a sore thumb looking lousy and advertising themselves. I'm willing to accept having to replace one or two of them every year to have them blend in. No failures yet after two years.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I think a tree is a good place for this. In summer, the camera is shaded by the leaves. In winter, it is kept warm by the sun. A win-win, like having shade trees around your house! :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I think a tree is a good place for this. In summer, the camera is shaded by the leaves. In winter, it is kept warm by the sun. A win-win, like having shade trees around your house! :)
True for most of them. This one is my worst-case test, no shading ever.
camInTree.jpg

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That really is pretty exposed. A white case would definitely show up a lot worse there. If the goal is to keep the camera hidden, I can see why you would want it brown or black, or even dark green if it is in a pine tree.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick some scrim to it. The biggest enemy here to stealth is the outline. Straight line and right angles draw the eye. Personally, Id' stick a bit of this on the top and sides of the camera and down the cable:

Synthetic Rifle Wrap

As long as you keep it away from the front / lens (bearing in mind some of it might blow in a wind, it could work.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well just to update: I finally did go ahead and paint two cameras a dark colour and mount them under the soffit...the real test will be next summer!
(Pictures below, before I actually connected up the ethernet.)

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately a tree was blocking where I thought I would want to point the left camera...so it was most useful pointing more forward: as a result, I ended up blocking it's view with the other camera. Doh! Will have to reposition things to fix this.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always use a test rig before permanent mounting.
5 gal bucket, 2x4 and rocks.
Test each location for at least 24hrs.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NOW you tell me! :)
I will remember for next time, though.
Thanks.