Painting exterior of cameras

GFB

n3wb
Reaction score
So has anyone out here ever masked off their cameras and painted them to better blend in with their house/wall? I know there are two lines of thought...let the cameras be seen as a deterrent, and let them blend in so they are NOT noticed.

I've found a couple videos where people have painted them, just curious if that is a remotely normal practice. The stark white metal really stands out on my darker house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So has anyone out here ever masked off their cameras and painted them to better blend in with their house/wall? I know there are two lines of thought...let the cameras be seen as a deterrent, and let them blend in so they are NOT noticed.

I've found a couple videos where people have painted them, just curious if that is a remotely normal practice. The stark white metal really stands out on my darker house.
Hi GFB,

Yes, absolutely.

We have a few threads covering this.

I do recommend it if you need to get it to blend in better.

I did that for the mini-dome wedge by my front door.

Removed the dome and metal case - cleaned the metal case - masked off the "lip" area which needs to remain black where the mini-dome sits - and spray painted primer, a couple of coats drying between coats.
Then went to home depot - picked up a sample sized paint exterior and had them match my wall.. worked out well. Will touch up as it gets scratched... blends in very well.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi GFB,

Yes, absolutely.

We have a few threads covering this.

I do recommend it if you need to get it to blend in better.

I did that for the mini-dome wedge by my front door.

Removed the dome and metal case - cleaned the metal case - masked off the "lip" area which needs to remain black where the mini-dome sits - and spray painted primer, a couple of coats drying between coats.
Then went to home depot - picked up a sample sized paint exterior and had them match my wall.. worked out well. Will touch up as it gets scratched... blends in very well.
Are you using regular latex exterior paint then? Just brushed on?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using regular latex exterior paint then? Just brushed on?
Yes @Jessie.slimer cheap sponge brush on...

Not as durable as other options imho, but only way I was able to get a color match for what I had. ( none of the spray paint options came close enough.. I was gonna go with a good spray paint.. lol, .. )

Color matching sometimes more important ( WAF issue )

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes @Jessie.slimer cheap sponge brush on...

Not as durable as other options imho, but only way I was able to get a color match for what I had. ( none of the spray paint options came close enough.. I was gonna go with a good spray paint.. lol, .. )

Color matching sometimes more important ( WAF issue )
Exactly. That's what I was hoping you'd say, as my house is a very unique blue that I can't match a spray paint to, but I've had the hardware store perfectly match latex for trim, etc. Good to know latex won't come right off.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out my post (link below) it has before and after photos, I painted my black camera white. Its been a year now and it looks and works perfect no issues.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have done several to match the background.
I use a little scotch brite to scuff it a bit, then use spray paint.
Camouflage works well when you put them in a tree.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@jayson436 did a nice job on his mini-dome wedge installation by the front door:

Also check what @Jim Pederson did