Passive Ethernet Over Coax & DC Power Supply?

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
Another questions for the well versed...

I was asked to look into upgrading cameras in a College Fraternity House that currently has 16 analog cameras. The building is 14000 sqft, and is brick, with several additions that have made it's layout unique. About 10 years ago they remodeled the entire building and ran RG6 along with power supply wires. I was told they were ran in conduit, however if the conduit is there, it is not visible at the origination point as the lines run bare into a finished ceiling in a closet, and the property owner can not confirm. The house currently has Ubiquiti APs throughout the property, which gives me one option, and I am contemplating using the Linovision EOC adapters powered by a hefty IPcampower switch. But I had a thought that I have not used before and was wondering if it was possible/reliable.

With the house having RG6 and a 12v DC power supply, could I run a passive ethernet over coax adapter on either end of the RG6 and then power the cameras by putting a barrel connector on the 12vdc power already in the boxes? I know MOCA is a thing also, but I don't have any first hand experience with it and those adapters would still need power.

Thank you in advance!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

I was asked to look into upgrading cameras in a College Fraternity House that currently has 16 analog cameras. The building is 14000 sqft, and is brick, with several additions that have made it's layout unique. About 10 years ago they remodeled the entire building and ran RG6 along with power supply wires. I was told they were ran in conduit, however if the conduit is there, it is not visible at the origination point as the lines run bare into a finished ceiling in a closet, and the property owner can not confirm. The house currently has Ubiquiti APs throughout the property, which gives me one option, and I am contemplating using the Linovision EOC adapters powered by a hefty IPcampower switch. But I had a thought that I have not used before and was wondering if it was possible/reliable.

With the house having RG6 and a 12v DC power supply, could I run a passive ethernet over coax adapter on either end of the RG6 and then power the cameras by putting a barrel connector on the 12vdc power already in the boxes? I know MOCA is a thing also, but I don't have any first hand experience with it and those adapters would still need power.

Thank you in advance!
EOC switches are very expensive even on the used market. The Linovision EOC adapters used on a small scale work perfectly and enable true single cable POE via Coax.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thank you in advance!
Hi @ShadowFox

Why not just get better and newer analog system?

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
They want to add cameras to cover dead areas, and it looks like they will end up with 22-24 cameras. I don't have an analog system over 16 channels

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
EOC switches are very expensive even on the used market. The Linovision EOC adapters used on a small scale work perfectly and enable true single cable POE via Coax.
Do you think using these over 16 channels, or using 5 to sent ethernet to centrally located POE switches would be reliable? These Linovision adapters are around $70 for a set, so cheaper than labor to run a new line

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found those little adapters to be very reliable. Obviously first choice is ethernet, but I have a few camera locations that were a bear running old BNC wiring back in the analog day and tried these and they are fine.

Reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY here as he may give you a discount purchasing that many. I purchased my couple from him and are rock solid.

Or go with his Amazon store: Amazon.com: Loryta Coaxial Cable Single-Port Long Reach Ethernet Over Coax Extender EOC Converter IP Over Coax max 3000ft POE Power and Data Transmission Over Regular RG59 Repeater LR1002-1ET+LR1002-1EC

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think using these over 16 channels, or using 5 to sent ethernet to centrally located POE switches would be reliable? These Linovision adapters are around $70 for a set, so cheaper than labor to run a new line
Been using these EOC adapters since their first release with great success and no failures. Probably installed over 3600 of them in the last five years.

Some things to note are these devices do run warm and should be installed in a metal junction box to help dissipate heat. It’s not recommended but all the ones we installed were in a (JB) junction box had the plastic housing removed. Thermal pads were then affixed to the back and then mated to the JB.

This insured the hardware would offer the clients a very long service life.

Always apply some high quality dielectric compound to the RJ45 before insertion. Tape the coax and RJ45 terminals to the module to prevent water and dust on the receiver if not installed within a JB.

Buy a few sets of DIN rails to mount the sender modules to a wall / server rack.

Do not exceed the output power of these modules and understand the line loss for very long coax runs if present.

Reaction score
With the house having RG6 and a 12v DC power supply, could I run a passive ethernet over coax adapter on either end of the RG6 and then power the cameras by putting a barrel connector on the 12vdc power already in the boxes?
Absolutely. I used the Channel Vision B-204 to do exactly that this week. Long coax run, but I have six Hik turrets happily chattering away at max res (a mixture of 4MP/6MP/8MP). Between 20 and 30FPS. You'd never know that these cameras weren't cabled with CAT6. No glitches, no dropouts. Smaller than the POE converters out there, which is useful if space is tight at the camera end.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have found those little adapters to be very reliable. Obviously first choice is ethernet, but I have a few camera locations that were a bear running old BNC wiring back in the analog day and tried these and they are fine.

Reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY here as he may give you a discount purchasing that many. I purchased my couple from him and are rock solid.

Or go with his Amazon store: Amazon.com: Loryta Coaxial Cable Single-Port Long Reach Ethernet Over Coax Extender EOC Converter IP Over Coax max 3000ft POE Power and Data Transmission Over Regular RG59 Repeater LR1002-1ET+LR1002-1EC

Yep they work great.
Review - Dahua Ethernet over Coax Converter/Extender LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will definitely take your advice and use the EOC devices. Ill hit up Andy as soon as the client approves and get some ordered. I did order one from Amazon and hooked up a demo camera in my shop using this method just to test for reliability. So far so good. These EOC adapters seem like lifesavers!

moto2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Absolutely. I used the Channel Vision B-204 to do exactly that this week. Long coax run, but I have six Hik turrets happily chattering away at max res (a mixture of 4MP/6MP/8MP). Between 20 and 30FPS. You'd never know that these cameras weren't cabled with CAT6. No glitches, no dropouts. Smaller than the POE converters out there, which is useful if space is tight at the camera end.
Could you explain how you powered the IP Cams? From my understanding, IP cams dont have a place for a power/barrel connector, so would it be possible to use existing DC power from an old analog setup? The passive EoC adapters dont look like they have an input for barrel power either.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
Are your cameras IP or BNC? Do they have individual power supply at a camera or powered by a BNC wire? I cannot have a power supply at the external cameras because there is no power at the locations.