PC drives

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just ordered a PC that I'm going to use to run CCTV SW. Maybe blue iris.

I was wondering people's advice on the best drive for constant writing the video files. I also wondered if it would have a benefit to have 2 drives. One for the CCTV software and the other dedicated for the recorded video files.

Many thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d always recommend an SSD for the OS with a normal large drive to write clips to as a minimum.

I’ve got an SSD for the OS and the BI software and 2 hard drives onto which the video clips get saved.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys that's what I suspected. Really appreciate it. I just got myself a second hand Dell Optiplex i7 4790. It's god a 500gb hard drive, but think I'll get an SSD for the OS and BI as you recommend. Then a purple or a knighthawk.

How big an SSD do I need. Not too much I guess.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there have been pro and con discussions on here but I'm happy with my decision. I have been running 2 4TB WD purple drives with cameras split between the drives to make usage relatively equal. Today one of the drives failed and I'm happy I split my cams between 2 drives because I only lost recorded video on half my cameras. Since I get a month storage with my system I was able to move the cams from the failed drive to the working drive and have everything working until I get my replacement drive installed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Asking how big a drive is like asking how long is a piece of rope. It all depends on if you're recording 24/7, camera resolutions, bit rate and iframe rate of each camera. I'd plan on a minimum of 4GB and 8GB wouldn't hurt at all.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just ordered a PC that I'm going to use to run CCTV SW. Maybe blue iris.

I was wondering people's advice on the best drive for constant writing the video files. I also wondered if it would have a benefit to have 2 drives. One for the CCTV software and the other dedicated for the recorded video files.

Many thanks.
WD purple drives are designed specifically for 24x7 surveillance applications, so perhaps a SSD for the OS and apps' and a WD purple drive where the CCTV footage is streamed and stored...

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks this is really helpful.

Would an external drive connect via use perform ok for writing the video files and use the internal SSD for the OS and BI?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d personally avoid having a drive connected via USB, USB3 has OK transfer rates but quickly grinds to a halt when multiple requests to read/write are made.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agree, USB can be quite problematic, I'd recommend connecting to SATA3 interface on MB for better reliable connection...

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the dell Optiplex has a hard drive and optical drive . I guess I could remove the optical drive and add a second drive? I'm still waiting for delivery of the PC so I haven't opened it to check

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an Optiplex 7020, I have 2 hard drives, 1 SSD, and an optical drive.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an Optiplex 7020, I have 2 hard drives, 1 SSD, and an optical drive.
Brilliant. The one I've ordered is small form factor. Is yours the same form form factor? If so that's great as it means I can cram some more in ;)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Brilliant. The one I've ordered is small form factor. Is yours the same form form factor? If so that's great as it means I can cram some more in ;)
No, sorry mine is a full size, didn't realize yours was SFF. That will be a challenge, I hear space is pretty tight in those SFF Dells.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to remember somewhere I saw a caddy that can replace the main drive and you can insert two 2.5 inch drives. If that's a thing that might be the way to go

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

I use WD purple drive. I use a 240 GB SSD for the OS, a 120GB would also work. I use a Samsung 860 EVO.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've not heard if that. Does it have any downsides