PC drives

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF i7 arrived today. Seems to be a fast little machine. It came with a 500gb hard drive.

I want to get rid of that and have two drives. A 240gb SSD for the OS and then a much large drive for the video files.

I've got limited space in a SFF machine but was wondering if there's a way that you guys know of for getting 2 X 2.5 inchdrives in the 3.5 inch Cady. That would mean I can keep my optical drive.

Many thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF i7 arrived today. Seems to be a fast little machine. It came with a 500gb hard drive.

I want to get rid of that and have two drives. A 240gb SSD for the OS and then a much large drive for the video files.

I've got limited space in a SFF machine but was wondering if there's a way that you guys know of for getting 2 X 2.5 inchdrives in the 3.5 inch Cady. That would mean I can keep my optical drive.

Many thanks
2.5" drives won't last long recording continuous video.
See if the mother board has a NVME M.2 slot for a SSD stick. If it has the NVME slot, use it.
You can then fit one 5.25" 3.5" purple drive, buy biggest you can afford.
If later you need more, purchase a eSATA expansion port ($10), along with a eSATA external enclosure to add another purple drive.

Last edited:

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks...
I don't know much about PC's.
I thought a 2.5inch WD Purple would be good as I could get that a s another 2.5 inch SSD to run the OS in the same caddy.

I think my existing drive is a 3.5inch. would that caddy also take a 5.25inch

I've got alot to learn.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many thanks...
I don't know much about PC's.
I thought a 2.5inch WD Purple would be good as I could get that a s another 2.5 inch SSD to run the OS in the same caddy.

I think my existing drive is a 3.5inch. would that caddy also take a 5.25inch

I've got alot to learn.
Sorry, I meant to say 3.5" purple, instead of 5.25.
Purple drives are only made in the 3.5" format.
But yes, you can get an ssd and a 3.5" drive in that computer, look up the owners manual for it on dell's site.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Mine is a small form factor. It has a 3.5inch drive and a optical dvd drive.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Mine is a small form factor. It has a 3.5inch drive and a optical dvd drive.
So is mine, it's a Dell Optiplex as well. I have a NVME drive, and a 3.5" purple in it. Still have a couple of unused sata ports.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mines a 9020. I've been able to find out if I have an mvne slot and if it can be booted from.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking of a WD Blue SSD for my OS and Blue Iris drive. What do people think of this drive?

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking of a WD Blue SSD for my OS and Blue Iris drive. What do people think of this drive?
when it comes to SSD there are much better choices, i prefer not to buy WD as they are just so not trustworthy, just look at the whole NAS Red drive SMR platter drive scam, WD only come clean on the issue once facing many class action over the deceptive behavior....For SSD's I prefer to consider all other vendors first, such as Intel, Samsung or even Crucial...big long list of other vendors....I only now consider WD if there are no other reasonable alternatives...which is very rare nowadays....at least Seagate actually disclose the recording tech used for platter drives....unlike WD....

Last edited:

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't know that. Thank you.

For the serviellance drives is WD still a choice or does the same apply.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The WD purple drive is the way to go. My 4 TB purple has been running for more than 2 years, 24/7/365, with 10 cameras writing continuously. I strongly recommend the WD purple for surveillance.

I have use a Samsung 860 EVO 120GB for my system C drive for over 2 years. This is for the windows 10 system and BI software. I do not use it for video writes.

Col8

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just installed a WD Blue SSD as my Win10 OS drive.

Original boot time with an HDD spinner 1min 25sec.

New boot time with WD Blue SSD 13sec.

Amazing. I'm so pleased . The PC is really responsive now.

ufd108

n3wb
Reaction score
Just installed a WD Blue SSD as my Win10 OS drive.

Original boot time with an HDD spinner 1min 25sec.

New boot time with WD Blue SSD 13sec.

Amazing. I'm so pleased . The PC is really responsive now.
NVME would have been even faster. I can't imagine that any modern Dell computer doesn't have an NVME slot. NVME uses PCIe as the transfer medium; this is MUCH faster than the SATA your WD Blue uses.