PC for 13 Cams with BI

Reaction score
Hello.
I have 13 brand new Dahuas and Hickvision cameras. Despites they can handle 2K images I plan to record at 1080p based on events (motion) and not 24 hour. I will be using BI.
I now if I buy the top of the newest Pc will be able to handle it, but I want to go cheap and usable. I planing to buy a second hand PC but I don't know whether a i5 5470 will do or if I will need a i7 or any extra Graphic Card.
Can anybody let me know.
Regards

Reaction score
Hello
Thanks for your reply. Blue Iris Performance Statistics reveals quite useful information as with regards to my actual needs.
It seems that i7 runs more smothly then an equivalent i5. Most probably I will go for a i7 4770 with 8Gb and no graphic card. It looks it will be able to handle my 13 cameras.
Thanks

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
why limit recording to 2mp/1080p when the cams can do more?
If you're looking to save space, I'd suggest lowering camera frame rates (15 or even 10 fps) rather than losing detail in your images...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good point, I will try it. Thanks
For saving disk space, consider VBR instead of CBR.

I’ve got my cameras set to use VBR with the image quality set to max and the max bit rate set to what the webui recommends (my Dahuas give a max recommendation, not sure if Hiks do).

This lets the cameras choose the bit rate based on what’s going at the moment. If not much is going on, it can reduce the bit rate and save disk space. When it gets more busy, the camera will increase the bit rate.