PC to NVR connections

Jmonahan43

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Dahua NVR 8 port POE, and I would like to use my desktop to set it up and also setup the cameras. Will I need to purchase a router to talk to the NVR and use SmartPSS software to admin the system via my desktop. This would be only temporary and later I will expand it to the modem/router as $ and wife permit. This is for my home system and will end up with probably 8 cameras and I will use my TV as a display after all it is setup. Can I use the ethernet port on my desktop and set it to the same net as the NVR for setup purposes or do I need to use the RS232 port? Does SmartPSS play well with the Dahua NVR/'s?
I want to ease into this a little at a time. I have a basic understanding of TCIP. I have read the cliff notes and recognize that there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum and I appreciate any advice.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a web interface. Just hook a network cable to it on the same network as your PC and stick it in a closet with no monitor at all if you want.... Configure everything via the web UI. You really do NOT need SmartPSS at all. That is more useful if you have other devices directly on your network like another NVR or no NVR and you want to use SmartPSS on a dedicated PC as an NVR.

It shoudl come up with a default IP of 192.168.1.108 - just put that in a browser (get IE 11 not Edge).