PC with Blue Iris or NVR? Which one to choose for 24/7 recording?

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like most threads I've recently read suggest that you go the NVR route instead of the PC route for 27/7 IP camera recording. At first, I was thinking of buying a 4TB WD Purple HD and just throwing that into my Windows 10 PC (Puget Systems Intel i7- 3770k 3.5GHz, 2 SSD's, 32G RAM, NVIDIA GTX-960), but now I am not so sure. I don't mind leaving the computer on all of the time, since it is mostly anyway with my PC work, but I don't want to see it slowed down to a crawl when I am using it heavy duty with my web publishing apps (Adobe CC... Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator).

FYI: So far, I have just 4 Dahua IP cameras on the way from Andy (forum member/seller) for this system I'll be building out. Probably go up to 8-10 cameras when all finished.

Appreciate your valued input, all!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont dual purpose a BlueIris computer; you must dedicate hardware to it..

If your going with all Dahua its quite a bit simpler to go w/a Dahua NVR if you want to keep it stupid simple, if you have great ambitions for all sorts of stuff or want to mix and match camera brands or not be locked into a vendor, then go for BlueIris.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dont dual purpose a BlueIris computer; you must dedicate hardware to it..

If your going with all Dahua its quite a bit simpler to go w/a Dahua NVR if you want to keep it stupid simple, if you have great ambitions for all sorts of stuff or want to mix and match camera brands or not be locked into a vendor, then go for BlueIris.
Current Dahua NVR 16-port PoE model recommendation? Else, non-PoE Dahua model with 16-port PoE switch, if wiser?

--Middle Level NVR - Shop Cheap --Middle Level NVR from China --Middle Level NVR Suppliers at Empire Technology Co., Ltd on Aliexpress.com

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5216-4KS2, go w/external PoE.. search around for PoE recommendations, I use a PowerDsine Midspan.. you can get em used off ebay for very cheap.

Microsemi PowerDsine 9012G PoE Injector PD-9012G/AC 12 Port POE Gigabit Midspan | eBay

I have that one in 24 port version, That one is HiPoE which can power big ass PTZ's if you have plans for them, otherwise you can get a FastEthernet 6012G 802.3at 12port midspan for like $30

Still have to provide a switch for it all but you can now use one big switch for your entire network instead of a bunch of linked together ones.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5216-4KS2, go w/external PoE.. search around for PoE recommendations, I use a PowerDsine Midspan.. you can get em used off ebay for very cheap.

Microsemi PowerDsine 9012G PoE Injector PD-9012G/AC 12 Port POE Gigabit Midspan | eBay

I have that one in 24 port version, That one is HiPoE which can power big ass PTZ's if you have plans for them, otherwise you can get a FastEthernet 6012G 802.3at 12port midspan for like $30

Still have to provide a switch for it all but you can now use one big switch for your entire network instead of a bunch of linked together ones.
How about this all-in-one??? Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-SW1601E | 16 Port 10/100Mbps PoE+ Unmanaged Switch with 1 Gigabit Uplink (1000Mbps) – Dipswitches – 120W – 802.3af/at: Computers & Accessories

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks fine, should do the job, I have no experience with it though so im not going out on a limb for it..

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would buy a HP desktop off eBay for around 300.00 and run blueiris software. Mix and match cams no restrictions .

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would buy a HP desktop off eBay for around 300.00 and run blueiris software. Mix and match cams no restrictions .
Well, I do have a spare Windows 7 Professional computer that I'm not using right now (my former web development box) .. if it would measure up to the load???..

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 8G RAM, NVIDIA GTX 260.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I do have a spare Windows 7 Professional computer that I'm not using right now (my former web development box) .. if it would measure up to the load???..

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 8G RAM, NVIDIA GTX 260.
Core 2 duo might be a struggle how many Cams are you running ? No need for the nvidia gtx waste of power

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More cores is what is needed, of course.
wrong, IntelQuickSync HD Video Acceleration is whats needed; a weak lil i5 loaded at under 60W with QuickSync will crush a 16 Core Xeon monster burning though hundreds of watts..

You can buy a refurbished business PC thats more than adequate for much less than you could ever build it new.

There has to be 10k threads on this forum discussing BlueIris specs; browse or search around in the appropriate subforum.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
another thing that is mentioned over and over again for blue iris is that you don't need a dedicated video card. Use the on board intel video for best efficiency. I have 6 cams running on a a10 processor through blue iris. However I'm using low fps and pir's built into some of the cams for motion.

I've found no issues reliability wise running a pc for blue iris. I've been wanting to change things up a bit and just ordered a dahua nvr to play with instead of buying a more powerful pc. I have a hik nvr setup for family and like the simplicity of it. A dedicated nvr just seems to be the simplest and most economical way to go. I also can't stand pre built machines as I've had cases with backwards motherboard mounting and such to prevent you from fixing things yourself.

The nvr cost is probably 50% less than buying a i7 pc and a little easier on the electric bill also. However you go I think its still a good idea to stick with a single brand of cams in case you change your mind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
another thing that is mentioned over and over again for blue iris is that you don't need a dedicated video card. Use the on board intel video for best efficiency. I have 6 cams running on a a10 processor through blue iris. However I'm using low fps and pir's built into some of the cams for motion.

I've found no issues reliability wise running a pc for blue iris. I've been wanting to change things up a bit and just ordered a dahua nvr to play with instead of buying a more powerful pc. I have a hik nvr setup for family and like the simplicity of it. A dedicated nvr just seems to be the simplest and most economical way to go. I also can't stand pre built machines as I've had cases with backwards motherboard mounting and such to prevent you from fixing things yourself.

The nvr cost is probably 50% less than buying a i7 pc and a little easier on the electric bill also. However you go I think its still a good idea to stick with a single brand of cams in case you change your mind.
You don't need an i7 for 99 percent of applications...You can't find parts for NVRs...You can find replacement parts for any PC... Dedicated NVRs are way less flexible and not at all simpler to setup..