Pedestrian Hit

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a school bus stop in view of my cams....at an uncontrolled intersection.....I hope I never need the footage....But when I did drive School bus for a year back in 1996, I had a lady blow my stop arm.....while I was loading....I got her plate and radioed it in....we went to court....
She was crying .....jesus....I was thinking..."you think you feel bad about getting caught? what if you killed someone you dumbass?

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Indeed, the police who knocked looking for video said they may need the video in case she does not make it :-(

That is a 4 way stop, you can see in the video the Jeep was stopped and then made the left turn at a high rate of speed and hit her.
I hope that the cop's statement was a generic one and not based on the type or severity of injuries that the pedestrian received.

As for the driver of the truck, yep they messed up big time, but why? Was the driver extremely negligent by driving intoxicated, were they not paying attention, or did they just make a stupid mistake like most of us do from time to time. I see that there's snow on the ground. Perhaps if they had not been driving long then the windshield might have been fogged and they didn't see the walker. It's not an excuse, but perhaps a contributing factor. Whatever the reason it appears to me that the driver pucked up really badly.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Having your windscreen fogged up or covered in snow mist surely count as driving without due care and attention?

Here in the UK the weathers not as extreme but in the winter months the number of cars you see driving with just a 2” diameter clear screen hole in their windscreen is shocking, even worse are the people who don’t properly clear snow of their windscreens or the roof which when warmed up comes flying off with harder than normal stop.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So sad and so unnecessary...I hope she survives and is able to recover fully. :confused:
Working in the roadway for over 31 years on the traffic signals, I came close to the exact same scenario more than once and have hood-walked and banged on a couple of fenders and hoods in the process, returning the favor by scaring the crap out of the driver.
That was between '73 and '04 and it's a LOT worse now, I'm sure.
I was able to retire at 55 without getting killed for 2 reasons, IMO: First and foremost, by the grace of God and secondly, I never turned my back on drivers or trusted them, never assumed they saw me or that I knew what they were going to do. They had to be at a full stop and staring into my eyes before I'd even think about being in front or or near them...and even then I was watching like a hawk. My best advice to our new guys that started working with me ?....all of the above but ALWAYS give yourself an escape route or a way to override someone else's screw-up.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having your windscreen fogged up or covered in snow mist surely count as driving without due care and attention?

Here in the UK the weathers not as extreme but in the winter months the number of cars you see driving with just a 2” diameter clear screen hole in their windscreen is shocking, even worse are the people who don’t properly clear snow of their windscreens or the roof which when warmed up comes flying off with harder than normal stop.
And if you watch some of the dashcam videos on YT of the accidents in rain and snow the drivers are flying! They drive as fast and as close to other cars like it was a sunny, spring day!

And they scratch their heads when they skid, slid hydroplane, fishtail, etc. , can't stop in time and crash into each other!

For God's sake, slow down and put more room between your car and others, because as you said, visibility is likely poor and the pavement's wet and slippery.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an update, which I got from the local newspaper.

The girl is in the hospital, with non life threatening injuries - so that is good.

Unfortunately, the reason she was hit - drunk driver!
Based on how fast the car was going I did not expect that. Very lucky.

I'm not actually sure you can call it lucky in any situation where you get hit by a car.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
right. The mailman asked me yesterday what happened to my fingers. ( all bandaged up) "table saw incompetence" I said approximately...This has been happening for 2weeks now,,,,people have to show me how lucky I am...with thier hand injuries.
So the mailman goes " Chop Saw', and raises his left arm. Cut my hand about 90% off diagonally across my arm at the wrist"
His hand looks great...arm looks pretty scarred but amazing functionality.
He tells me " You're lucky"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a fairly new vehicle. Here is an interesting article and video on automatic emergency braking systems and nighttime performance.