Peephole Camera

dspdrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody know of any decent ONVIF peephole IP cameras, preferably 4K? I'm not looking for smart cloud cameras like Ring or other doorbell cameras. I need something that looks like a typical door peephole and will work with my NVR.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@dspdrew there are so many things to consider here and that's why you arn't getting a response - it's not ideal.
1. You want something that works with your NVR which means you have to have an ONVIF at minimum camera.
2. This is going to require a camera that is hardwired and powered - providing POE to a door peep hole is difficult at best and results in exposed cords or cords in pinch points in the door frame. While there are door hinges that account for power cords you then have to route them though the door.
3. Bottom Line - What ever you do, if you want it in the peep hole of you're door, it's going to look janky with cords, etc.

There are a TON of stand alone video peep holes that are battery powered and have a monitor inside for viewing that have an SD card etc, those are prob must simpler for what you are trying to accomplish they just won't feed the NVR. I would sooner deploy one of those if you "must have a peep hole monitor" and then deploy a standard IP camera that feeds your NVR beside the front door for better coverage and higher MP anyways.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Also - search on forums can be your friend.....

dspdrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I actually did search and saw that thread, but none of those were 4K.

I already have cabling ran to the door; it's not hard at all. I even have existing analog BNC cabling ran there as well for my current analog peephole camera. A typical peephole is a set of lenses that go through the door, so there is really no need to run any cabling outside the door, unless you don't have an existing peephole and don't want to drill a hole in your door, or you're looking for a door bell camera (which I already said I am not looking for).

I will probably just take apart my existing peephole camera and modify a 4K IP camera using the peephole camera's lenses. Hopefully I can get them to focus correctly. It's just going to be a much larger unit mounted on the inside of the door than I currently have, but that doesn't matter to me. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results here. Building my own stuff is nothing new for me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I actually did search and saw that thread, but none of those were 4K.

I already have cabling ran to the door; it's not hard at all. I even have existing analog BNC cabling ran there as well for my current analog peephole camera. A typical peephole is a set of lenses that go through the door, so there is really no need to run any cabling outside the door, unless you don't have an existing peephole and don't want to drill a hole in your door, or you're looking for a door bell camera (which I already said I am not looking for).

I will probably just take apart my existing peephole camera and modify a 4K IP camera using the peephole camera's lenses. Hopefully I can get them to focus correctly. It's just going to be a much larger unit mounted on the inside of the door than I currently have, but that doesn't matter to me. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results here. Building my own stuff is nothing new for me.
Looking forward to seeing what you have to share! ( I did notice Ring came out with a peephole model.. but I do not want Ring.. )