Persons of interest in local shooting

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My footage made it into an MPD police video looking for persons of interest in a shooting. The first camera (B&W) is a Dahua HFW5231-Z5. The second one (color) is a Dahua HDW5231-R-Z.

The video looks ok but the stills are terrible (even when apparently enhanced). I'm still working on dialing in the settings to make it more clear. One problem is that the HDW5231-R-Z that is filming color is above a very bright front porch light, which I would have thought was good but it seems to make getting the settings right even harder.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
They will find those guys, even with the stills the features are pretty unique and if those guys run together all the time somebody will for sure ID those guys especially if a reward is in play.

Reactions: RJF

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My footage made it into an MPD police video looking for persons of interest in a shooting. The first camera (B&W) is a Dahua HFW5231-Z5. The second one (color) is a Dahua HDW5231-R-Z.

The video looks ok but the stills are terrible (even when apparently enhanced). I'm still working on dialing in the settings to make it more clear. One problem is that the HDW5231-R-Z that is filming color is above a very bright front porch light, which I would have thought was good but it seems to make getting the settings right even harder.

HI RJF,

Good job! While we would like it to be even better, your video capture is so much better than numerous ones I have seen.

Perhaps a few with more experience can give us some tuning tips.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if they can dust your steps for an ass print. All their pants are falling down. maybe @nayr can send them some suspenders lol.

Color can be helpful, but the main issue with the color footage is the lower shutter speed (*there isn't an actual mechanical shutter) results in quite a bit of blur when the subjects move fast. Disappointing the cops didn't pull and stills from the B&W images / try to 'enhance' those.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reflecting on this and the quality of the color stills, I am believing now that I should be investing in additional starlights so that I can get a good B/W image as well as Color image in critical locations.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Faster exposure time is the key to sharper images. Usually requires more light to keep the noise down and image quality up.

WDR and 3D noise reduction can both introduce a little ghosting/trailing particularly on a fast-moving subject. I'd suggest keeping WDR completely off at night and reducing 3D noise reduction as far as you can stand to do.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Faster exposure time is the key to sharper images. Usually requires more light to keep the noise down and image quality up.

WDR and 3D noise reduction can both introduce a little ghosting/trailing particularly on a fast-moving subject. I'd suggest keeping WDR completely off at night and reducing 3D noise reduction as far as you can stand to do.
This is helpful, thanks! I've had all backlight settings off, and have messed around with 3DNR a little bit, but I could do more.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is the shutter speed?
It was on auto when these videos were taken. I have since changed the setting to "shutter priority" and have been messing around with the range, trying to keep it from 0 to less than 8.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what would be the solution, have a camera in BW on auto and then ones in color with a bright light?

Right now I have a 150w light on a pole that puts off tons of light and at night the cameras stay in color due to it being so bright. But would it be beneficial to have a few in forced black and white ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So what would be the solution, have a camera in BW on auto and then ones in color with a bright light?

Right now I have a 150w light on a pole that puts off tons of light and at night the cameras stay in color due to it being so bright. But would it be beneficial to have a few in forced black and white ?
Depends on your unique setup. It's good to conduct some tests, eg put on a baseball cap or hoodie and jog past your camera at night. Generally speaking IR outperforms color at night, but color certainly can be helpful. As for your lights - not all lights are created equal, I wish I'd saved some stills of local traffic cams before and after the switch from HPS street lights to LED it was a pretty amazing change.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your unique setup. It's good to conduct some tests, eg put on a baseball cap or hoodie and jog past your camera at night. Generally speaking IR outperforms color at night, but color certainly can be helpful. As for your lights - not all lights are created equal, I wish I'd saved some stills of local traffic cams before and after the switch from HPS street lights to LED it was a pretty amazing change.
For the better?

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The light have have is 150W LED that is equivalent of 400w with a Lumens of 19,589 LM. So it is very bright to say the least, I have played with the cameras and it seems that Auto has been the best choice during the night. I did however force two to black and white as of yesterday.

LED Pole Light 150W 5700K – LEDMyplace

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 SD59230U-HNI
2 IPC-HDW5231R-Z (one is under the mailbox)
1 IPC-HDW5431R-Z
1 Dahua bullet that is not a starlight and see the pic for the pole that I have
pole .jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The light have have is 150W LED that is equivalent of 400w with a Lumens of 19,589 LM. So it is very bright to say the least, I have played with the cameras and it seems that Auto has been the best choice during the night. I did however force two to black and white as of yesterday.

LED Pole Light 150W 5700K – LEDMyplace
I think it's a safe assumption you have a lot more light than RJF

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I would agree that I have more light than he does. But still seem to get some blur, during the day I get plates going both direction and perfect images. At night I get good images in auto, just would like to fine tune it more if I could and not darken the image to much..