pfsense and BI - multi LAN or multi NIC?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ya, I have pfsense right after the modem. I didn't want to get into vlans yet and my ESXI box has 8 network cards so everything has its own physical subnet. My ORBI router is set to bridge mode, all it does is handle wifi

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use pfSense and have separated a security VLAN for the blue iris computer and all the cameras.

As far as organization goes, I have my cameras addressed as 192.168.30.XX with them all being on VLAN 30 and XX is 10s, 20s, 30s, etc based on where their location is (front door, garage, side of the house, back yard, etc). I ended up setting an alias in pfSense to show that anything that was addressed 192.16830.1 through 192.168.30.100 to be a camera. Then, I was able to write rules for the cameras...no internet access, NTP, etc. I have my blue iris machine connected to the same switch but it's outside of the camera address range.

I was able to write rules for the VLAN so it doesn't interfere with other VLANs. Basically, I can connect to it from my main VLAN (home internet) but if I was on the security VLAN, I wouldn't be able to see any other VLANs on my system. I don't have anything that's wireless, so I had no need to do VLANs with the access points.