Phoenix homeowner fires gun at robbery suspects breaking into home

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Phoenix homeowner fires gun at robbery suspects breaking into home
Aug 17, 2021

An alert and armed home defender wins vs 4 attackers in Phoenix

Lessons:
  • have enough cameras covering the street and front of the house for multiple chances to get a good image ..
  • setup alarms on the parameter
  • be prepared for armed intruders
  • re-enforce the doors

12 News
A Phoenix homeowner was seen on video shooting at suspects who were trying to break into a home, and police are asking for tips to find them.

The Phoenix Police Department shared a video of the attempted robbery on Tuesday. Four men can be seen kicking open a front door when the gunshot goes off at which point the suspects flee.

1630007977153.png

1630007800883.png

1630008100025.png

ref:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras are great, but like the police who show up just in time to draw the outline of your body in white chaulk, they’re mostly good for figuring out who dunnit AFTER the fact.

This is why I advocate perimeter alarms. I use simple and reliable Guardline units at various places around the house and driveway.

Just :30 seconds or a minute of heads up warning at 2am can make a huge difference in your response and the outcome.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras are great, but like the police who show up just in time to draw the outline of your body in white chaulk, they’re mostly good for figuring out who dunnit AFTER the fact.

This is why I advocate perimeter alarms. I use simple and reliable Guardline units at various places around the house and driveway.

Just :30 seconds or a minute of heads up warning at 2am can make a huge difference in your response and the outcome.
time to go down the youtube rabbit hole for Guardline. Had never heard of these before... seems like a great product

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
time to go down the youtube rabbit hole for Guardline. Had never heard of these before... seems like a great product
Dakota is another brand some speak well of.

There are much more sophisticated types of units and I’m not a security system pro. But if you spend a little time reading the directions and tweaking the placement, the Guardline units work quite well for a normal home lot.

I have 4 transmitters and the wireless receiver next to the bed. Each has a different tone. I like to know someone is in my yard or driveway before they know I know ;)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I get the feeling he didn't intend to hit them just scare. He knew they were coming through the door but there was a delay between them entering and him firing sufficient to allow them to stop, realise what's happening, turn around, split to both sides and get out just as he fired down the centre between them. Interesting point here, would it have still been legal if he'd shot them if they were already escaping and the threat was over? I don't knwo the law and know it varies from state to state so maybe he was forced to warn 1st hence the delay. However, it would have been ironic if by delaying he risked getting prosecuted because they were retreating.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I get the feeling he didn't intend to hit them just scare. He knew they were coming through the door but there was a delay between them entering and him firing sufficient to allow them to stop, realise what's happening, turn around, split to both sides and get out just as he fired down the centre between them. Interesting point here, would it have still been legal if he'd shot them if they were already escaping and the threat was over? I don't knwo the law and know it varies from state to state so maybe he was forced to warn 1st hence the delay. However, it would have been ironic if by delaying he risked getting prosecuted because they were retreating.
The shot came while they were still very much in a threat position imho, and taking into consideration the use of force and clear intent along with disparity of force, in most jurisdictions he would have been justified if he’d have taken one out.

Looks to me to be about 1.5 seconds from door crashing in to the shot.

After they turned and ran off the porch, no.

Reaction score
We do not know where he was positioned in his home. I would expect he was taking cover behind something relatively solid. I doubt that his shot was a "warning" shot. In the heat of the moment, being dark, with two that have entered, one can get quickly confused and just fire a round at movement. We do not know that it did not hit anyone. It could have easily been a through-and-through shot. Just because someone is hit, does not mean they are out of the fight.

As far as it being "legal" if they had already turned and were trying to escape, it would depend on the prosecutor. It may go to the Grand Jury. I know in my jurisdiction, if the threat is over, then you do not have the right to use deadly force. But if they are still in the house, I would not assume the threat is over just because they have turned around. Now if you shot them on the lawn, that could very well be a problem for you.