Picking a dedicated PC

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot that I need to ask this, but I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy for trying to set up a dedicated system for my folks so we can all keep an eye on my Dad around the house, because his illnesses have him collapsing. I'm hoping some of you will be willing to give me feedback on my shopping list so I know I'm on the right track. I'm pretty sure Blue Iris for the software, I'm looking at this computer to run it on:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859258012
I'm also thinking I'll need 12 or so of these cameras:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVD13KC
I'm also thinking I'm going to set up a separate wifi network just for the cameras, since I figure they're going to use a bunch of bandwidth then I'll use an ethernet to USB adapter so I can hook the computer to both networks at the same time.
Thanks for the help,
Matthew

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

albone3000

n3wb
Reaction score
the pc will work, it might even be slightly overkill.

as far as the cameras i think you are going to run into problems with 12 wifi cameras, even on a dedicated network. I recommend wired poe cams.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those cameras are a total rip off, $140 for 720p lol haha...

You just need 90 degree FOV and put em in a corner, entire room will be seen.. no need for anything wider angle than that really, it distorts the image and you get a fisheye effect and less detail.

you'll be luck to get 4 720p cameras on wifi before you run out of bandwidth, let alone 12.. less if you spend that money on 1080p or better.. that number of cameras requires wires, no way around it.. so just buy PoE cameras and rock it.

Reaction score
I was planning on only running the cameras at 5 fps because of the bandwidth issues, I thought about poe, but the house is about to be remodeled, like in a year or so, under other circumstances I'd just wait until the remodel to do this and do it right with poe, just won't work under these circumstances. Unless even at 5 fps I won't be able to run this? Thanks again for the help everyone.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 5 cameras on this Lenovo Stick 300 running a Atom processor with a 32gb built in storage 64gb micro sd and 2gb RAM. It works just fine with an attached usb hub and a usb gigabit ethernet adapter. All my cameras are now wired instead of wireless and I am getting whatever FPS I need. System is expandable using usb storage. Backs up to a NDAS. Picture looks dark on upload. Sorry.

IMAG1061.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ideacentre-Stick-Computer-90F20000US/dp/B014644NPI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 5 cameras on this Lenovo Stick 300 running a Atom processor with a 32gb built in storage 64gb micro sd and 2gb RAM. It works just fine with an attached usb hub and a usb gigabit ethernet adapter. All my cameras are now wired instead of wireless and I am getting whatever FPS I need. System is expandable using usb storage. Backs up to a NDAS. Picture looks dark on upload. Sorry.

View attachment 10312

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ideacentre-Stick-Computer-90F20000US/dp/B014644NPI
The number of cams is irrelevant. Its the resolution and frame rate..you must be running really low on both...that system would choke on high res cams

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two 720p cams and the rest are 640x480. The output from the stick is 1080p. So it is plugged into my tv hdmi port. Picture quality is excellent and I run all but one camera at 15 fps. One camera is run at 30fps. Not a single hiccup since I got all the settings right. It works great. Processor is more than sufficient to run everything. I rarely see any CPU usage over 25%.

I am in the process of building a server and it will be running BI as well as 4x4TB drives for file and media services. I may buy some hi res cams but I dont feel the need right now. I am quite happy with this setup. It is lean and very inexpensive. With keyboard, ethernet adapter, and sd card it is all less than $200 easy.

I love the Lenovo Stick 300. It is much easier than going with an arduino or rasberry pi since it runs Win 10.

Reaction score
Thanks hotbrass, but I don't think that really is going to apply to how I want a use my system, which needs more cameras.
Back to my earlier question, does anyone think I won't be able to put that many cameras on wifi as long as I'm running them at 5 fps? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two 720p cams and the rest are 640x480. The output from the stick is 1080p. So it is plugged into my tv hdmi port. Picture quality is excellent and I run all but one camera at 15 fps. One camera is run at 30fps. Not a single hiccup since I got all the settings right. It works great. Processor is more than sufficient to run everything. I rarely see any CPU usage over 25%.

I am in the process of building a server and it will be running BI as well as 4x4TB drives for file and media services. I may buy some hi res cams but I dont feel the need right now. I am quite happy with this setup. It is lean and very inexpensive. With keyboard, ethernet adapter, and sd card it is all less than $200 easy.

I love the Lenovo Stick 300. It is much easier than going with an arduino or rasberry pi since it runs Win 10.
You are running about three mp..that kind of setup wont work with modern cameras...

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman and Matthew Roy, you are correct. I was just throwing that out there so you know a secure system can be done for very little cost and with very little power. The video quality is quite good and sufficient for my home purposes. My only requirement is to see who comes on my property and it does the job and is unobtrusive.

Those stick computers are popping up all over and becoming more powerful with more offerings in the works. Mostly being used for media streaming but a pc in the pocket is very convenient.

Carry on!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unfortunately Intel just killed the atom processor.. so dont expect these windows stick computers to continue to proliferate or improve any in performance.

its not just about the resolution, codecs are very important.. 640x480 @ 10FPS MJPG is 155GB a day to store it, 3MP h264 @ 10FPS is 87GB a day to store it.. so your camera thats a small fraction of the resolution of a high resolution HD camera is going to require almost twice the storage space for the same amount of time.

For Security situations, 640x480 is woefully inadequate.. even for seeing who's at the door it'll do a shit job.. If we do not need 3MP to see who's at the door, its because we need 12MP.. more pixels is always better.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
unfortunately Intel just killed the atom processor.. so dont expect these windows stick computers to continue to proliferate or improve any in performance.

its not just about the resolution, codecs are very important.. 640x480 @ 10FPS MJPG is 155GB a day to store it, 3MP h264 @ 10FPS is 87GB a day to store it.. so your camera thats a small fraction of the resolution of a high resolution HD camera is going to require almost twice the storage space for the same amount of time.

For Security situations, 640x480 is woefully inadequate.. even for seeing who's at the door it'll do a shit job.. If we do not need 3MP to see who's at the door, its because we need 12MP.. more pixels is always better.
Not everybody has the same bleeding edge attitude about security systems nayr. The fact that some find 640x480 perfectly acceptable is really not for you to judge. If you need thousand 100mp cameras, ten megaterabytes of SSD storage and two warehouses full of servers, that's fine, that is your choice. My system meets my needs, and I dont give a rats rear about yours. Carry on!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not everybody has the same bleeding edge attitude about security systems nayr. The fact that some find 640x480 perfectly acceptable is really not for you to judge. If you need thousand 100mp cameras, ten megaterabytes of SSD storage and two warehouses full of servers, that's fine, that is your choice. My system meets my needs, and I dont give a rats rear about yours. Carry on!
Its makes no sense to record at vga while using double the storage capacity if the camera does not support h.264. Its also makes no sense to record at vga when 1080p is available. Your original comment was also very misleading in that you didnt specify what resolution you are running so folks think you can run 5 1080p cameras on a pc stick. Furthermore, it is always best to have storage local on the machine...this avoids any possible network or transmission issues. You cant do that with a stick. Its a toy and should not be used for security purposes.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its makes no sense to record at vga while using double the storage capacity if the camera does not support h.264. Its also makes no sense to record at vga when 1080p is available. Your original comment was also very misleading in that you didnt specify what resolution you are running so folks think you can run 5 1080p cameras on a pc stick. Furthermore, it is always best to have storage local on the machine...this avoids any possible network or transmission issues. You cant do that with a stick. Its a toy and should not be used for security purposes.
I was not being misleading, I didnt know that stating resolution was a prerequisite. All my storage is on the stick, the stick is the machine, the stick is a full computer ex keyboard and monitor. It will run 1080p, its only output is 1080p, and it works fine. Carry on!

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very good post. I registered just to thank you. I never would have thought that a little levono stick could run BI. This opens up a whole world of possibilities. 640x480 is plenty of resolution for many situations. We do not need 3MP to see who is at the door!

Thank you very much.
Thanks mbill. As you see there are others who do not agree, but it is secure as any Win10 computer and it works quite well with BI and near zero footprint and energy consumption. It suites my needs quite well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was not being misleading, I didnt know that stating resolution was a prerequisite. All my storage is on the stick, the stick is the machine, the stick is a full computer ex keyboard and monitor. It will run 1080p, its only output is 1080p, and it works fine. Carry on!
Carry on my ass. Stating the resolution is a prerequisite, so is reading the OP. The OP states he will be wishes to run 12 720p cameras. That stick is a terrible choice for a vms. The stick has a tiny hard drive and if you are writing to SD card as your primary strorage that is another terrible idea. Another serious defect that applies to most laptops as well is that this stick cannot resume on power http://www.amazon.com/review/R3O3R67QHD5XSG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B014644NPI&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc
Its a terrible choice and members should know to avoid it.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Carry on my ass. Stating the resolution is a prerequisite, so is reading the OP. The OP states he will be wishes to run 12 720p cameras. That stick is a terrible choice for a vms. The stick has a tiny hard drive and if you are writing to SD card as your primary strorage that is another terrible idea. Another serious defect that applies to most laptops as well is that this stick cannot resume on power http://www.amazon.com/review/R3O3R67QHD5XSG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B014644NPI&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc
Its a terrible choice and members should know to avoid it.
OK. I dont dispute that. BUT, it works! And it works great! I think the latest bios update has a boot on power option.

You know boys, I'm not exactly running the Green Door at the Pentagon. And I doubt you are either. Carry on!