Picking a dedicated PC

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I dont dispute that. BUT, it works! And it works great! I think the latest bios update has a boot on power option.

You know boys, I'm not exactly running the Green Door at the Pentagon. And I doubt you are either. Carry on!
When you spend time and money on security cams, you want them to be reliable and effective. You can carry on with your sricams/foscams...1080p cameras are CHEAP. PC's are CHEAP. The cost difference between a junk setup and a good one is about 300 dollars, probably less.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you spend time and money on security cams, you want them to be reliable and effective. You can carry on with your sricams/foscams...1080p cameras are CHEAP. PC's are CHEAP. The cost difference between a junk setup and a good one is about 300 dollars, probably less.
Forgive me one last time. But I did mention that I am right now building a server that will be running BI and servicing my storage needs on my network? And I will probably be upgrading my cameras if I perceive a new requirement. The stick will be employed in other areas of my network for testing different software configurations. Carry on!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgive me one last time. But I did mention that I am right now building a server that will be running BI and servicing my storage needs on my network? And I will probably be upgrading my cameras if I perceive a new requirement. The stick will be employed in other areas of my network for testing different software configurations. Carry on!
What you are building is irrelevant. The point is the stick should not be used. Carry on.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, but the fact is I am using it with BI as a dedicated system and it works great!

Thanks for the wonderful discussion. You being the expert in all, I will let you have the last word. Carry on!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, but the fact is I am using it with BI as a dedicated system and it works great!

Thanks for the wonderful discussion. You being the expert in all, I will let you have the last word. Carry on!
It doesnt work great, thats my point. You keep missing it. Carry on!

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its all about goals. 640x480 may not be good enough to read license plates at a distance or do facial recognition, but it will certainly do to detect if a car is entering the drive way or someone is in the house. If his system serves hotbrass goals, then it does work great for him. It may not for others.

As going cheap skate, I just bought a used acer veriton small form factor PC. It has a good old Core2 quad @2.3 GHz, 4 gigs of ram. Hardly cutting edge, but it can handle my single 1080p camera @25 FPS without problems. I could almost certainly handle 2, maybe 4 if you cut down on framerate. Best thing, it cost me 65 euro. (Worst thing, its pretty damn loud under load).

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its all about goals...
It is about goals and for most hobbyists, homeowners and small business owners the goal is to squeeze the best possible resolution out of the lowest possible cost. As I see it, today this means 2MP cameras @ 1920x1080...absolute minimum. Such decent quality cameras can be had for as little as $50.00 each. Add in Blue Iris software and a used i5 system and you've got a reasonably decent hi-res HD system for around $825.00, with excellent motion detection and with mobile device alerts and viewing functionality. Running 640x480 in this day and age seems to me to be a tad foolish given the fantastic low-cost high-resolution alternatives which are available today.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
>=1080p or go home, your wasting your time with 720p.. 640x480? Trash..

its not all about the resolution, its about the encoding and advances in image processing..

640x480 MJPEG camera @ 15fps = 233GB per day
640x480 MPEG2 camera @ 15fps = 47GB per day
1080p H264 camera @ 15fps = 53GB per day..
and if resolution really is not important to you, turn down the resolution and you get:
640x480 H264 camera @ 15fps = 11GB per day

hodgepodge all the junk you want together, if your goal is to flush good money down the drain.. then buy something sub-1080, idgaf.. not my money, but dont go advising others to follow you.. your being penny wise and pound foolish.

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just hooked up another 720p cam for inside the house. It only serves to detect intrusion, any video it shoots of a person will be from ~2-3 meter distance. A friend of mine put a VGA cam inside his mail box to be alerted when the mail arrives. Explain to me what a $800 UHD solution would provide extra? A PIR sensor would have worked just as well in either case, you could consider that a 1 pixel camera. Its just that I had a 720p IR camera laying around. It is all about goals, and not everyone is interested in shooting 4K video of ski masks.