Picture quality of a 12MP camera - can't even read plate numbers ...

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Dahua IPC-EBW81200 whic is a 12 Beg Pixels installed at home, and as far as I can see, I can't even read plate numbers of cars parked at a few meters from the camera.
This is even worst as you can imagine for vobing cars ...

Is it normal or are there ettings to set to enhance picture quality ?
plates.JPG
plates1.JPG

MAny Thanks !!

Last edited:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try uploading the full size image, not scaled down as above. I've seen images from 4K cameras and yours is streets apart.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you mean Cryptelli (and many thanks for the quick reply ...) ?
The picture above is a snapshot from the live view where I wommed a little bit.

This is a screenshot of the 100% image :

plates3.JPG

and a screenshot of the 100% view on which I zoom :

plates4.JPG

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no ... main Stream ... coming from the Live view.
In this page you either have the choice to see a scaled down view or 100% view

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Running that through the ipvm.com/calculator, that wide angle fisheye lens looses the ability to read plates at about 6ft away.. sounds about right, Fisheye's are garbage outdoors

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but it has the advantage to take the complete facade end to end ... with 1 cam.
So it is good to have a global view, maybe not to have détails ...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fisheye cameras are designed to be installed horizontally on a ceiling indoors, they have no advantage at all outdoors.. they have tiny apertures that ruin low light capabilities, and cant see any detail further than a few feet away... Installed vertically outside your wasting half of your pixels on the sky

Dahua makes these for outdoor use: IPC-PFW8800-A180

A non-fisheye 4k camera would have no problems getting that plate, even with a fairly wide angle.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, but that was the only solution I has to install this on my house facade and see what happens side to side (right from left).
But this is correct you loose half to the sky ;-)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats so important that you need full side to side coverage? espically what makes that coverage more important than being able to identify people or cars that go by? Are you not using it at for any security purposes? If your not using it for security why do you care about reading plates?

I'd rather have a ton of blind spots as long as I can ID people and read plates.. nobody's gonna be stealing my grass or trees

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Dump the fish eye and install two cameras. A fraction of the cost and 110% better results! Fish eyes are beneficial in very specific applications and this sure isn't one of them, especially for plate reading.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
plate number was only an argument to tell about the "poor" quality of the picture ...
But again, I had no other choice than installing this camera as on a huse facade I didn't want Something too big ...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Your making concessions where they shouldn't be made. You are using a camera in a way it was NOT designed to be used. Mount that camera on the ceiling of a warehouse and you will be thrilled with the results - you are at fault for the challanges you are facing here.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes sure, I had seen it ... but I can't install this at my house.
Ok, many Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To make things worse a lot of fisheye cams don't even use the full sensor, as the sensor is often a great deal wider than the circular image that is centered in it. So a PPI calculator is probably going to give an overly optimistic result.