Piecing Together First System

rcicu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to home surveillance. I'm piecing together my first system and would like a little feedback. here's what I have so far-

1) I'm renting a 3br/2bath home in a suburban neighborhood.
2) PC has an i5-3570s with Intel "HD" graphics; 8GB memory; 5400rpm HD
3) A Netgear NAS
4) POE switch

Here's what I've ordered-

1) Evo 860 SSD for PC
2) Amcrest ProHD 1080P camera, IP2M-841EB

My plan is to buy a Blue Iris license, hook up the camera in my living room and learn how to set up the system. Once I get the hang of it I'd like to add a wireless camera to the front door (maybe an Amcrest IP2M-842) and later something to watch the driveway and back yard. I'd like to get notifications if there's activity at my house and be able to remotely review video .

So first question is once I get my camera, should i mess with Amcrest software or go straight to Blue Iris?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome rcicu

I think it would be useful for you to play with both the Amcrest and Blue Iris software. This way you will have a greater appreciation of the work the developer of Blue Iris has done. ( he's on this forum btw, and the forum moderators have a good relation with him ;-)

In terms of the outdoor camera - I would highly recommend looking closer at the Dahua OEM starlight models to help you get good coverage outdoors. Seriously far better results with those at night compared to the wifi bullet model you are considering.

Do check out the notes as well
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome rcicu

I think it would be useful for you to play with both the Amcrest and Blue Iris software. This way you will have a greater appreciation of the work the developer of Blue Iris has done. ( he's on this forum btw, and the forum moderators have a good relation with him ;-)
Sorry, but no, the developer of BI is NOT on this forum.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but no, the developer of BI is NOT on this forum.
Hi Looney2ns,

Thought he was well connected to us as I see the various notices w/regards to the new UI and testing.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wonder why Ken does not read this forum? Or does he? Being a software developer, I would think you would want to know what people say about your work. Seems strange to me.

Hay Ken, I am happy with BI!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd skip the Amcrest Surveillance Pro and go right to BI, as it has plenty of things to dazzle you and occupy you.

The Amcrests are re-branded Dahua (which are great) but you pay a premium, their support is lacking and they don't offer many Dahua versions.

I'd think again about using any bullet cam outdoors, as the spiders are attracted to the IR (as they are with any cam with IR) but the LEDs are in a ring around the cam lens so they string across it. I had to clean mine this morning and do so every week to prevent false motion detect.

The turret style cam has a large IR or a small array on one side of the cam's lens so the spiders are less likely to string their web from one side to the other.

And speaking of turret cams, please read the Cliff Notes regarding the 2MP Dahua Starlight (very low light) turret cam, mounting heights and options, etc. ..lots of good info for someone just getting into IP cams.

rcicu

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot to read/learn before I get a second cam.

Than