PIR activate light when camera is in night mode IR

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to know what happens when a camera is in night mode with IR and no visible light, but when an external PIR activates for an intrusion and lights a strong LED spotlight.
Does the camera switch to daylight? Does it remain blind for some seconds? Do you miss something in the recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to know what happens when a camera is in night mode with IR and no visible light, but when an external PIR activates for an intrusion and lights a strong LED spotlight.
Does the camera switch to daylight? Does it remain blind for some seconds? Do you miss something in the recording?
depends on how close the camera is to the light...on some cams you can set the transition time. Some cameras cameras may be blinded for a moment while the camera adjusts.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The idea was to leave the area in the dark to not encourage a theft to enter seeing what's there. But if a theft enters, having a PIR to illuminate well all the area to make him go away because he was discovered and in the same time having a clearer recording of him instead of only the IR.
The problem is in the seconds of adaptation of the sensor to this new lighting condition. I don't want he can go away without being recorded. How fast is an Hikvision or Dahua sensor to adapt? I mean: if it's 1 (maybe2) seconds could be good.
Eventually I could put the spotlight not in the direction of the sensor and not so near it. Should it suffice?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The delay is not long and should be fine. If this is outdoors you are better off having the place lit up...dark areas allow folks to be present without being noticed.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dark areas allow folks to be present without being noticed.
Yes, that should the reason of the PIR to detect them.
Anyway I will consider your suggestion to keep always lit, maybe little lightings over the place AND the PIR+spotlight.