Pivot Rack

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your network should be pretty static and low maintenance, I dont see the point.. I would go for high security with multiple attachment points, perhaps with a few tack welds to keep tools off.

really your going to be replacing failed disks, and perhaps equipment.. the wiring wont change unless you expand and your planning so well just do that now even if it goes unterminated for a while.

your going to use patch panels right? do all the wiring from the front as much as possible.. at least the stuff you need to change.. thats the nice thing about using these cabinets, you have a secure central termination point for all the wiring, into patch panels.. then you can rewire and repatch things inside the cabinet without touching the runs.. if you need to plug into a camera directly and configure it because it got reset to defaults or something you just patch it through to your computer and take them off the switch.. from the front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your network should be pretty static and low maintenance, I dont see the point.. I would go for high security with multiple attachment points, perhaps with a few tack welds to keep tools off.

really your going to be replacing failed disks, and perhaps equipment.. the wiring wont change unless you expand and your planning so well just do that now even if it goes unterminated for a while.

your going to use patch panels right? do all the wiring from the front as much as possible.. at least the stuff you need to change.. thats the nice thing about using these cabinets, you have a secure central termination point for all the wiring, into patch panels.. then you can rewire and repatch things inside the cabinet without touching the runs.. if you need to plug into a camera directly and configure it because it got reset to defaults or something you just patch it through to your computer and take them off the switch.. from the front.
I was not aware of patch panels. So as with other things I am learning, I went to YouTube and I see plenty of instructional videos explaining the application and how to. However, I can't quite figure out how you would get a patch panel to the front of a rack frame inside a cabinet? Or, is there a special rack unit that supports the patch panel? The switches all seem to plug in from the front witch makes good sense.

Otherwise I see the logic in what you are saying to use a lock box. essentially.

OK I found em. Pretty standard equipment for racks. Time to switch my thinking --- AGAIN!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812998067

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All 19" patch panels can be easy mounted in a rack. I did not have room for a rack, so i only bought 4U rails and have mounted all my switches and nvr with that.

It does not look very clean, but there is not enough space for a rack, and with short patch cables in between the patch panel and the switch it still looks decent. I installed the nvr with the backside to the front to have the connections visable.
i also need to get a smaller monitor with a mount to make that workable.

it is basically fiber into the home, splitted vlans via switch, voice goes to provider box, iptv and internet via firewall and than to switch for set topboxes.
cameras are on seperate POE switch.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All 19" patch panels can be easy mounted in a rack. I did not have room for a rack, so i only bought 4U rails and have mounted all my switches and nvr with that.

It does not look very clean, but there is not enough space for a rack, and with short patch cables in between the patch panel and the switch it still looks decent. I installed the nvr with the backside to the front to have the connections visable.
i also need to get a smaller monitor with a mount to make that workable.

it is basically fiber into the home, splitted vlans via switch, voice goes to provider box, iptv and internet via firewall and than to switch for set topboxes.
cameras are on seperate POE switch.
Orange is fiber right? Witch brings up a question. Can a fiber trunk cable be patched into a patch panel with other Ethernet cables? Or more specifically, is there a panel that has multiple different types of plug interfaces?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Indeed keystone patch panel.

I do not touch the fiber of the isp. That enters the house and terminates in a white box (left in the picture) from there it is cupper wire (Ethernet with rj-45)
i just wanted to show you that you can use 19" device's and patch panels without a rack if needed.

as for the color:
red is the outside of the firewall
white is trunk with more than 1 vlan
blue is inside lan
black is ip camera
yellow is the ip tv

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed keystone patch panel.

I do not touch the fiber of the isp. That enters the house and terminates in a white box (left in the picture) from there it is cupper wire (Ethernet with rj-45)
i just wanted to show you that you can use 19" device's and patch panels without a rack if needed.

as for the color:
red is the outside of the firewall
white is trunk with more than 1 vlan
blue is inside lan
black is ip camera
yellow is the ip tv
I would not be interested in messing around with the ISP cable other than a patch cable from the wall to the Modem.

The keystone Patch panel looks like a great Idea! I would use two of them, one in each of my two buildings. My interest in fiber cable is the trunk line connecting two switches, one in each building. It looks like there may be a Fiber keystone coupling compatible with the keystone panel but I'm not sure what kind of fiber cable/coupling I need? Notable, there appears to be at least 7 different types that I have seen.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/fiber-optic/fiber-optic-connector/product-30sc-sc400.php#reviews

fiber coupling.JPG
This is a SC type what ever that means?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If i read your link:

Converts: Converts back and forth between SC Female Fiber Port and SC Female Fiber Port

So at the back there is a SC connector and also at the front.
so you have to put a fiber cable with SC connectors between both buildings. You need to put fiber in protected tubes as it cannot withstand a lot if it is the ground.
SC cables you can buy everywhere online.

do you have an idea how much length this fiber would be ?
there is much difference in the optical modules you use for different lenght.
i am from Europe and you can have multi mode for max 500 meters
and single mode for 80 KM max.
The optics are for multi mode sx, for single mode you have lx/lh for up to 10 KM, and lz for up to 80KM

i would try to go for LC connectors though. SC is a bit outdated by now..
also LC will fit much simpler through tubes if needed.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you have an idea how much length this fiber would be ?
there is much difference in the optical modules you use for different lenght.
i am from Europe and you can have multi mode for max 500 meters
and single mode for 80 KM max.
The optics are for multi mode sx, for single mode you have lx/lh for up to 10 KM, and lz for up to 80KM

i would try to go for LC connectors though. SC is a bit outdated by now..
also LC will fit much simpler through tubes if needed.
I estimate that my total length between the two switches will only be about 40'. 20' of that will be underground. I think for this short distance I could afford the faster single mode cable? The only thing I know about the port interface on the switches is that they are SFP. Which I understand to be a small form factor. That still levies a lot of variations?

http://www.tripplite.com/pdu-ethernet-switch-1u-combo-with-24-unmanaged-gigabit-ports-8-ports-poe-95w-and-2-sfp-ports~NSUG24C2P08/

Or, Similar.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sfp has lc connectors. You could off course use a lc-sc patch cable between the optical jack plug and the sfp in the switch.
but if you can find lc jack modules you are better off.

for such short distances you should only use multi mode fiber. If you use single mode, you have wat to much signal on the optical receiving side and overload or burn the optics (seen only damage with a ZX module connected to a SX i think somewhere in the past)

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sfp has lc connectors. You could off course use a lc-sc patch cable between the optical jack plug and the sfp in the switch.
but if you can find lc jack modules you are better off.

for such short distances you should only use multi mode fiber. If you use single mode, you have wat to much signal on the optical receiving side and overload or burn the optics (seen only damage with a ZX module connected to a SX i think somewhere in the past)
That Would be this one between the patch panel and the switch? Does "duplex" make any difference?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/01123/0.5m-lc-sc-10gb-50-125-om3-duplex-multimode-pvc-fiber-optic-cable-aqua

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Cable Link is for 50/125 multi mode. However I agree the SC end would be cleaner with a LC with the LC to LC coupler you have linked to. Do you think that coupler would fit in the Keystone Patch Panel?

Is their no significance to the "Duplex" notation?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Duplex is a bit strange for fiber.
you always have a seperated send and receive part, and between ports on switches you have a colission domain of 2 hosts only (or better there cannot be a colission)
with other words it would be full duplex, but this is more from the modem ages i think..

only thing you have to worrie about is the working of the sfp modules in the switches. Lots of brands work only with their own brand optics. If you buy a 3rd party i would want guarantee it works or money back.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Cable Link is for 50/125 multi mode. However I agree the SC end would be cleaner with a LC with the LC to LC coupler you have linked to. Do you think that coupler would fit in the Keystone Patch Panel?
I cannot tell you. I would look for store that sells these 19" jack panels and also the keystone modules and put the questions there. Make clear what you want and ask them if their products work for you.
better spend few $ more for working stuff i think. But perhaps other people can give you good links with great prices.

i work mainly on routing in very large networks and have field engineers built the cabling for me. So my knowledge is more from the books and experience when i still did lan management, but we had ST connectors back than, and more hubs than switches..