Pixelated motion on IPC-HFW4431R-Z

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
Aww man... and I just bought this too... but for sub 100, I guess I'll put up with it. Anyone else read this review on Amazon?

"The best camera ever! Super quality! The only thing is a firmware. The original installed firmware is really old, but has English Web interface. The problem I found - the iOS iDMSS app doesn't do zoom!. You can upgrade a firmware to V2.420.0000.22.R.20161209 and it works great! But you won't be able to see English web interface :) But you don't need a web interface at all. Just better use the last English version of SmartPSS_v2.00_20161116. You can set up your camera through it."

Apparently, there's a new firmware that may be able to fix the issues but it's i Chinese...

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amazon reviews are mostly bought advertisement ( sorry i diddn´t find maybe the right translation for gekaufte Bewertung), you should use and believe them very carefully.

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Encase you are still having these shudder problems. I would recommend using constant bitrate, then disabling IVS, and then disabling built in event/motion detection.

How is your webUI experience? Are the web pages slow, or do saves take a long time?

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
So I finally received the camera, and I have to say this is one of the BEST camera I've ever used (although my experience has been with NVR CCTV in a box so that isn't saying much). Incredibly clear picture in day time and night, and the ability to still "see" in color with very low light is amazing. I had no issues with the IR when everything is dark as everything was clear with no light creatures that I can see. The cam I got came with a July 2016 firmware which is later that the version that came on OP's camera. I found no issues with my limited testing. However, I still flashed with Cor35Vet's modded firmware to future proof, and everything works fine.

For what I paid, I am pretty dang jazzed at the quality. I'm sure there are better 2MP cameras, but for my need, CCTV and the ability to change optical zoom levels, and catch details, I can't be happier with this 4MP camera. I'm going to buy 4 more to surround my home with these.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you like it, but before you buy more of those see this:

You only think these 4MP cameras are worthwhile, 2MP Varifocal Starlights totally fucking destroy em.. You can change zoom levels and get many times more detail and less noise at night.

For better comparison of 4MP vs 2MP Starlight see these images: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure they're great. But I can get 4 more for 350 vs 720 for the 2MP. I don't really care to spend that much for my CCTV needs ;).

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
I have to say, the 4431 is closer to the your second picture than your first.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no its not, the top picture is the same Sensor, Aperture and Ratings as the 4431R-Z

Color Ratings:
4431R-Z: 0.01Lux
5421R-Z: 0.01Lux
5231R-Z: 0.006Lux

The 2MP Starlight gathers twice the light of a 4MP Varifocal camera

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the MP captures twice the light. But the clarity is different to me between the 5421 and 5431. Are you sure the 5421 and 5431 uses the same sensor? I thought the 3rd gen uses the Aptina sensor which to my eyes seem superior. The clarity is better.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are the same sensors but yours is a Chinese Domestic model made out of cheap plastics, cheaper components on it to make its price competitive in the local markets..

They perform the same, I have a couple 4431 fixed lens just took apart and are sitting in a box going to the junk pile..

They only look good in your head until you put it up next to a starlight.. The two I put up got removed within a few months because in my environment they were entirely unable to get a quality ID image.. A still image is nothing, you have to compare people in motion and the noise floor on those 4MP's just goes through the roof.. I even added big giant 10W external Illuminators to help and they still failed to get a reasonable image out of em... Now my only 4MP left are watching the cat door and reading license plates.

In my experience, 4MP was just chewing up more resources for less detail.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
So I finally received the camera, and I have to say this is one of the BEST camera I've ever used (although my experience has been with NVR CCTV in a box so that isn't saying much). Incredibly clear picture in day time and night, and the ability to still "see" in color with very low light is amazing. I had no issues with the IR when everything is dark as everything was clear with no light creatures that I can see. The cam I got came with a July 2016 firmware which is later that the version that came on OP's camera. I found no issues with my limited testing. However, I still flashed with Cor35Vet's modded firmware to future proof, and everything works fine.

For what I paid, I am pretty dang jazzed at the quality. I'm sure there are better 2MP cameras, but for my need, CCTV and the ability to change optical zoom levels, and catch details, I can't be happier with this 4MP camera. I'm going to buy 4 more to surround my home with these.
Post Some Night time pics with the Ir in AUTO mode. Mine was mounted about 9' up and you could not get front of that thing anywhere without it washing you out. The auto mode never would adjust to objects. It did have great daytime picture but it did not get along with my nvr. The camera would drop out for hours then like magic appear. It very could be I had bought from a crappy batch. I have not flashed it because i was sending it back.

Come to find out these Cameras have hit the USA market. This is from a Dahua approved USA reseller. N42AC3Z 4MP Bullet Camera

Last edited:

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
Post Some Night time pics with the Ir in AUTO mode. Mine was mounted about 9' up and you could not get front of that thing anywhere without it washing you out. The auto mode never would adjust to objects. It did have great daytime picture but it did not get along with my nvr. The camera would drop out for hours then like magic appear. It very could be I had bought from a crappy batch. I have not flashed it because i was sending it back.

Come to find out these Cameras have hit the USA market. This is from a Dahua approved USA reseller. N42AC3Z 4MP Bullet Camera
Here it is with "SmartIR" enabled with all lights turned off and door closed. There's no "auto" or the translation is different.
dahua.png

Edit: Added thumbnail instead of fullimage.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Here it is with "SmartIR" enabled with all lights turned off and door closed. There's no "auto" or the translation is different.
View attachment 15294

Edit: Added thumbnail instead of fullimage.
Very cool, mine was fine inside when I had close objects, Try it outside and stand about 8 feet away from it.

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have my POE Cisco switch yet (still on the way) I'm still using a 12v adapter to test. Plus my house is under remodeling for another two weeks before I can properly hang this up. However, here's another image of the other side of the room which is 10-12 feet away (room is 10x12).

dahua2.png

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys

I recently acquired this camera in addition to my other 7 dahua's and have just noticed that when i review recorded footage of it, most if not all motion events appear to be staggered and pixelated. Like below:

TIA :)
Ryan
I had the same issue when I first installed mine but I think mine were drive related. Was having some issues with my Raid Array and it was in rebuild at the time the pixilated footage was being recorded. That appeared to be causing my issue as the live view has none of the pixelation and the later recordings don't suffer from it either. Seperate to that issue I have notice that image quality suffers in WDR / BLC modes.

What recorder are you using? Do you have enough network throughput at the recorder?

The 2MP Starlight gathers twice the light of a 4MP Varifocal camera
Well it does have half the pixels on the same area of image sensor.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the 2MP is actually a lil bit larger 1/2.8" Sony Starvis Backlit Sensor made in japan.. vs 1/3" Aptina made by Foxcon in China..

The 4MP Aptina are very cheap, so people just buy whats less expencive and with moar megapixels it has to be better right!?

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, just checked the price for the R-Z version of the 2MP. 350 for one? I'm taking pictures of strangers and potential burglars... not pictures of my kids. There's no way I can spend 1400 for 4. I'm pretty happy with the cheaper 4431. Awesome quality on a budget.

Edit: North American version MSRP $578.

Last edited: