Pixelation, Round Two

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its an issue with blue iris on some cams when using the direct to disc recording option...as you can see here, sometimes its easily resolved.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2437-BI-4-Playback-issues&highlight=pixelation
That is the WORST i have ever seen it...im guessing its related to the cpu maxing out
I have already done all those steps and more. I am sitting at 73% CPU utilization according to BI and yes, it makes it pretty much useless if I was to try and identify someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And now that I think about it, the pixelization came back when I switched over to Direct-2-Disk to try and reduce the CPU utilization so that must be the cause. Well that plus the higher than average CPU utilization. Hopefully the system upgrade will reduce the utilization down a bit.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you stop live view when you playback or do you keep cameras up live and playback on another page? I never used BI, so I'm asking. Have you tried closing live view while playing back?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you stop live view when you playback or do you keep cameras up live and playback on another page? I never used BI, so I'm asking. Have you tried closing live view while playing back?
Live view is up all the time. I just use the web enterface or the BI application to view motion events and that is where the issue is, in the recordings.

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thing is, I never had pixelation or ghosting issues on BI3. I have two setups. Both were D2D and both were BI3, until I upgraded one of the computers to BI4. Based on what I've tried its the D2D that's affecting it. Weird thing is, it comes and goes. Its much better, I think since I did fenderman's suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having this issue as well. Everything was working fine until the last round of updates. I turned direct to disk off and the pixelation goes away.

I only have 3 cameras (2 hikvision and 1 Foscam) with only one hikvision set to record. Utilization not my problem. Running i7 gen4 with Utilization under 20%. I've tried changing settings recommended in this thread but they didn't help.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having this issue as well. Everything was working fine until the last round of updates. I turned direct to disk off and the pixelation goes away.

I only have 3 cameras (2 hikvision and 1 Foscam) with only one hikvision set to record. Utilization not my problem. Running i7 gen4 with Utilization under 20%. I've tried changing settings recommended in this thread but they didn't help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I would email support.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would email support.
I emailed support, we'll see.

I also wanted to note that my issue is only with recorded playback from the Blue Iris Mobile app. Playback via server PC is fine. Viewing live feed from both server and mobile app is fine as well.

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if using BI4 32 bit will resolve the pixelation/ghosting issues. Anyone want to try reinstall BI4 (32 bit)? I'm just guessing if this is a possibility, since I have the 64 bit version installed.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can install the 32 bit version right alongside the 64 bit version - at least that is what the docs say...:cool:

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These pixelation threads have been invaluable to me. I'm new to Video, and current have 2 HIK's 2032's connected to a jetway mini-top JC600 (yea, yea I know. need to save for something better) and was having horrible pixelation when using D2D. With the information in these thread, I have been able to greatly improve (get rid of) the stream.

Thanks!!

Phoneman79

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue with Dahua cams using BI4. CPU usage was very high and after reading threads changed to D2D. Now playback is terrible, with figures pixelating very bad. I've changed FPS from 10 in 5fps steps all the way up to 30 and still see the issue. Was there 1 particular step that helped the most? Should I try every step in this thread?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue with Dahua cams using BI4. CPU usage was very high and after reading threads changed to D2D. Now playback is terrible, with figures pixelating very bad. I've changed FPS from 10 in 5fps steps all the way up to 30 and still see the issue. Was there 1 particular step that helped the most? Should I try every step in this thread?
In the camera Use h.264 not h. 264h...
Then follow the suggestions in the thread..

Sent via Taptalk

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Give them a go, but so far I haven't had much luck. I have been talking to Ken and he is aware of the issue and trying to resolve it; hopefully he will figure it out soon.

Phoneman79

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just got done with the steps given in the link a few comments above. 1 set to DRD. 2 set cam FPS to 10. 3 set BI FPS to 12.5. 4 increase network buffer from 1.5 to 10. I didn't touch noise reduction. So far so good. I'm running 12 1.3mp Dahuas and 12 3mp Dahuas. I was maxing out CPU at 100%. I/m now at 30-35% and the ghosting is so far gone. I'm only 15mins in tho. Thanks again fenderman!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just got done with the steps given in the link a few comments above. 1 set to DRD. 2 set cam FPS to 10. 3 set BI FPS to 12.5. 4 increase network buffer from 1.5 to 10. I didn't touch noise reduction. So far so good. I'm running 12 1.3mp Dahuas and 12 3mp Dahuas. I was maxing out CPU at 100%. I/m now at 30-35% and the ghosting is so far gone. I'm only 15mins in tho. Thanks again fenderman!!
No problem..also if you havent done so, make sure adjust automatically (under the frame rate) is unchecked

Phoneman79

n3wb
Reaction score
oh yes, I did.... I missed to add that step in the comment!! Hey question. Just for better quality. Could I up the fps to 12 on cam and 15 on BI to get a more fluid pic on playback?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
oh yes, I did.... I missed to add that step in the comment!! Hey question. Just for better quality. Could I up the fps to 12 on cam and 15 on BI to get a more fluid pic on playback?
The actual fps sent to blue iris will be limited to the rate set in the camera. So try 15fps in the camera and 20fps in blue iris. Or 20/25...