Placement of Surge Protectors and Shielded Cable...

Zeigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

What is the best placement of a Cat6 data PoE surge protector for an IP security camera run; inside or outside of the structure? How about shielded cable just being installed anywhere outdoors and between the surge protector and camera only?

I suffered an expensive lesson recently with a close lightning strike causing the damage to an Axis PTZ camera and loss of a PoE switch (first one in four years). I didn't have shielded cable or surge protection on the data/PoE side. Now I am in the process of installing protections for a possible repeat event on the entire network of eight outdoor IP cameras.

Ideally, I would like to save on the cost and hassle of replacing the entire runs of Cat6 wire from my centrally located network closet to all of the cameras (average run of 100 feet). Since all of the outdoor cameras enter my home via three separate locations, I could easily install the surge protectors just inside the wall at theses spots with a handy access door for maintenance. In what I have read the biggest concern seems to be the electrical spikes from a close lightning strike effecting equipment and wiring outside of the structure primarily.

Any comments?

Peace,
Dr. Z.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score