Plan for more than 2 cameras... package thieves

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you ID these 2?

Ring camera watching the driveway ( thankfully has a embedded time stamp 11/19/2019.. )

and a view of the packages they stole

Often when starting out with security cameras, folks tend to underestimate how many they need to produce the results they want.

Personally I want to have 2 good chances at getting an ID image of any suspect. In this case they really needed at least one more camera mounted lower by the front door...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't count on thieves following your "Do not walk on grass" signs....

another example of a 2 camera setup.

Notice the thief's head in the lower part of the video

Need more pixels on the street to capture a good ID of the get away driver..

Bonus video from this youtube channel.. late night tire slashing..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I was searching for some other good ones, I found this string of captures:

Mail thief in Woodinville

10-28.2019 16:09+ cam1

cam 2

( seriously need more cameras and at least some mounted lower.. )
1576465736315.png

10-28-2019 16:11+

"The suspects have been identified as Leslie Hildreth (35) with her boyfriend and accomplice Zachary Kelly Kier (27) driving a stolen Toyota Highlander. Both have been arrested and charges are stacking up. Leaving these videos up just to shame them. "

Nest capture of the car.. notice NO embedded time stamp..

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simplisafe video capture.. no embedded time stamp

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm... guess I should make certain I can get a good capture of tats..

1576466124980.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of ghosts door checking parked cars... ( nest failure to capture any worthwhile images .. )

kroq83

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera are cheap if you pay the $100 for ring. Get them mount at face level.
Also ring has a nice sign.

Someone came across why doorbell camera picture are good because they mount chest high.
Also tell them not to put the packet in front of door. Have a area view block from the street.

I been thinking a way to put a motion sensor to turn on a clicking sound so they look at the camera.
I think the click sound would be better for them to look them a voice.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hops the gate.. well, actually just hops to the top so he can open it..

stuffs his backpack with contents of packages

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Eco thief - brings his own bag and uses alternative transport...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera are cheap if you pay the $100 for ring. Get them mount at face level.
Also ring has a nice sign.

Someone came across why doorbell camera picture are good because they mount chest high.
Also tell them not to put the packet in front of door. Have a area view block from the street.

I been thinking a way to put a motion sensor to turn on a clicking sound so they look at the camera.
I think the click sound would be better for them to look them a voice.
Hi kroq83

Here's what appears to be a very clear Ring video doorbell capture. Can you ID the suspect?
1576469765398.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Police need a web site where it get shown because someone know him.
Hi @kroq83

How many feet away do you feel he is from the camera in this photo?

So you feel someone needs to recognize him.

Or the R part in DORI

This suggests that he is too far from the ID range, and is now in the Recognize zone...

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I hate to say it but you really can't do much when your valuables are just sitting outside waiting to be plucked. If you DO get a good, clear picture of their face, how will the police determine their name? Most likely they'll say "yeah....its a white/brown guy/girl". If you want to protect your packages, I would advise using a drop box system like Amazon in Garage delivery, Amazon locker, or a manned drop place. Just somewhere that will guarantee that there will be someone available to accept the package.

I enjoy my surveillance hobby but I think its not realistic to spend a good deal of money only to get a good clear picture "of someone". Unless you get a license plate, you have no id. And even then, some states will have a difficult time proving that the owner of the car was the one in the video.

Have a good time. Enjoy the hobby but stay realistic about it.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Slightly off topic - adding a LPR camera is also another great way of IDing porch pirates. Understand it's not always feasible, but will provide some hard evidence.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I hate to say it but you really can't do much when your valuables are just sitting outside waiting to be plucked. If you DO get a good, clear picture of their face, how will the police determine their name? Most likely they'll say "yeah....its a white/brown guy/girl". If you want to protect your packages, I would advise using a drop box system like Amazon in Garage delivery, Amazon locker, or a manned drop place. Just somewhere that will guarantee that there will be someone available to accept the package.

I enjoy my surveillance hobby but I think its not realistic to spend a good deal of money only to get a good clear picture "of someone". Unless you get a license plate, you have no id. And even then, some states will have a difficult time proving that the owner of the car was the one in the video.

Have a good time. Enjoy the hobby but stay realistic about it.
Hi @area651

While having packages sent to a more secure drop location would help reduce these issues, there are still people who may want to receive packages at home. ( example elderly who no longer drive )

Do note that there have been a numerous amount of arrests and convictions thanks to video evidence. The better the evidence, the greater the chances of success in these areas.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As a blanket statement, people always under estimate what it takes to get a good quality video ID of a suspect. Your camera has to provide a good quality image and be mounted in a location that is going to provide a good unobstructed view of their face. Most cameras are mounted too high and/or are not providing high enough quality video - especially at night when many of these events occur.

Don't get me wrong, any video is better than none. They may help the police ID a suspect and they may eventually nab them on other charges (or in possession of stolen goods), but most of these videos would never stand up in court on their own merits.

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
kroq83, I think the sound of an AWP reloading or a silencer being put on an M16 from Counter Strike will certainly make folks look directly where the noise is coming from.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you ID these 2?

Ring camera watching the driveway ( thankfully has a embedded time stamp 11/19/2019.. )

and a view of the packages they stole

Often when starting out with security cameras, folks tend to underestimate how many they need to produce the results they want.

Personally I want to have 2 good chances at getting an ID image of any suspect. In this case they really needed at least one more camera mounted lower by the front door...
And they casually drive down the street and stop at their next target.