Planning a first-time camera installation

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Pete here, new member.
I'm planning to install some cameras for my home; maybe as many as 8 eventually.
Right now my immediate need is to wire the attic of my new shed that is under construction, preferably before blowing in attic insulation.
The shed is 16 x 24 with a gable roof, 8:12 pitch, with 18-inch overhangs (sloped soffits).
At least one of the cameras can point towards my house and/or towards the detached garage/shop; the others could point at the door of the shed and then out the back towards neighbors' fields.
There is one location, at one gable end, where a bullet camera mounted to the sloped soffit, at the gable end, would be perfect to have a good view of my house's back yard and side door.
But the other locations might be better served with wall mounting; otherwise, along the eaves, a bullet or turret would need to be dropped down from the soffit quite a few inches so it can see under the eave and gutter.
This forum has a huge wealth of information; I've been lurking on and off for years; thank you to all contributors!
I'd like to take advantage of the current sale Andy is having, so might purchase one or two cameras to start.
I'm thinking of the IPC-T5442T-ZE, as the variable focal length would allow me to experiment in a couple of locations.
Similarly the IPC-B5442E-ZE bullet version.
And then how about the IPC-Color4K-X with 3.6mm lens for keeping an eye around the doorway area?
The shed is connected to the house via a 250-ft trench that has a 1.5-inch PVC buried conduit. I plan to pull two direct-burial/outdoor-rated CAT6 cables (one of them is redundant) through this conduit and place a POE 8-port switch in the shed to connect to all the cameras.
I'm installing conduit and cabling in the shed walls right now, so that is why I'm considering the best options right now.
I've read the Cliff Notes which was very helpful, BTW.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Consider fiber instead of a CAT6 between the shed and the house. Electrical isolation is an important consideration. Switches with SFP ports are readily available and not much more expensive.

The 5442 series with a varifocal are excellent choices for testing. Only you can determine if there's enough light to use a 4K-T however. I have one in a location that a 5442 really couldn't cover in color at night but I am using the onboard white LEDs, at 5%, to get enough light for good night video.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Was going to mention fiber but I see that has been mentioned. Now is the time to plan for extra wiring, especially different views that cover similar area, especially driveways, walkways, access points, etc

You are off to a great start.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I already bought the direct burial rated CAT6 (1000 ft spool from Vertical Cable). I suppose I could resell it on eBay. I found a 250-ft fiber patch cable (LC connectors) on Amazon. But if I wanted to pull bulk fiber and terminate it myself, where would I look for connectors and an assembly kit?

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
If a switch includes an SFP port, is that RJ45 and then you need an adapter (transceiver) to connect to fiber? Or are there switches that include an optical port?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If a switch includes an SFP port, is that RJ45 and then you need an adapter (transceiver) to connect to fiber?
A SFP module can be had with either Ethernet or fiber; the fiber will have many options (single or multi-mode, different fiber connector, etc.).
Or are there switches that include an optical port?
A switch with SFP module(s) is likely the best way to go due to the many options mentioned above for the fiber.

I bought two TP-LINK gigabit media converters, two TP-LINK gigabit SFP modules for multi-mode LC fiber and a 98 ft. pair of FLYPROFiber LC to LC patch cables last month to replace the 75 ft. piece of CAT-5e in my attic that runs the length of the house. It has been the reason why I've lost a couple of switches, AP's and a motherboard the last few years. The $140 I spent for everything above is far less than cost of the the damaged items and the aggravation it will likely prevent in the future caused by nearby lighting strikes.

About the time it cooled off enough to venture into the attic I had what I thought was a gout attack for the first time in my left ankle joint about 3 weeks ago. After some tests, etc. and some wasted time and sleepless nights the diagnosis was changed to cellulitis. I'm on antibiotic orally 2X / day and a topical anti-bac cream 3X / day. It's likely because it's the leg with DVT and has poor circulation. Anyway, it IS painful.

The co-op put in and lit up my 1G up/down fiber with public, static IP about 3 weeks ago and you can imagine how badly I want the above fiber link in and working to replace that CAT-5e. We've had 1 bad electrical storm since then and I unplugged both ends of the CAT-5e.

Looking VERY forward to this infection going away so I can do something; like they say, "when your feet <or insert any leg or skeletal component that has to do with walking here> hurts, you hurt all over."

TL; DR: I went with gigabit media converters (fiber to Ethernet) because I already had several good gig switches but often times switches or POE switches with SFP capability are best depending on your situation.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I already bought the direct burial rated CAT6 (1000 ft spool from Vertical Cable). I suppose I could resell it on eBay. I found a 250-ft fiber patch cable (LC connectors) on Amazon. But if I wanted to pull bulk fiber and terminate it myself, where would I look for connectors and an assembly kit?
Keep in mind that fiber may be preferred but not required since you already have purchased the direct burial cable. There are also ways to isolate your direct burial cable, another factor is your location. If you live somewhere like Texas or Kansas vs. a lower lightning area that also comes into play.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Tony. I will research those options.
Praying for your speedy recovery; that sounds very painful.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
I may go ahead and pull the CAT6 and see how it works. The conduit is 1-1/2" PVC buried about 24" deep. It will remain accessible at both ends (of course), and I can add a separate pulling string when I pull the wire. So running fiber in the future should be straightforward, if it becomes necessary.
My DC power supply for the switch and POE will be isolated. Not sure what happens as far as grounding within my existing Ethernet switch, computers, router, etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What else is going in that 1-1/2" conduit? Low voltage, CAT cable for example, cannot comingle with AC, 120 or 240 volt, lines. Fiber can because it is non-conductive.

Last edited:

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Only a 2-conductor 18 AWG 24 VDC cable for the Rapid Shutdown switch for the photovoltaic system. It's 0.26" diameter, also rated for outdoor and direct burial. Actually two of those cables, as I plan to pull a spare.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this after a little more searching:
Gigabit Ethernet Multi-Mode LC Fiber Media Converter (SFP SX Transceiver Included), up to 550M, 10/100/1000Base-Tx to 1000Base-SX (I suspect that link won't work right in this post).
It's a CAT6-to-fiber converter for $29 each end. From Amazon. A pre-terminated fiber pair, 250-ft long, adds another $85. Simple.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it's been over a year. I installed the CAT6 in the shed walls while they were open, along with 4" round boxes at the four camera locations.
I ended up going with LC-LC fiber and the 10Gtek transceivers for the 250-ft trench run.
Today I finally finished installing the four cameras: two IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocals, one IPC-Color4K-T, and an IPC-Color4K-T180 I just bought; all from Andy's Amazon listings.
The attached snapshot is from the live video from the T180; it's quite dark outside but there is a full moon, which apparently provides PLENTY of light for the 1.8" sensors:

192.168.11.105_ch_1_20231126_212032.jpg

However this next snapshot is from the Color4K-T, showing how awesome that 1.2-inch sensor is with only moonlight (same exact lighting, 14 minutes later):

192.168.11.101_ch_1_20231126_213409.jpg

For reference, here is a shot from one of the IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras, same lighting:

20231126_213848.jpg

For reference, none of the cameras' illuminators are on.

Thanks again to all the super-helpful members of this forum, for steering me in the right direction to choose these cameras.

ICPete

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's a (grainy) picture of the Color4K-T180 taken with my cell phone in late afternoon (cropped), just to show the mounting location under the eave. The eave protrudes about 18 inches out from the wall.

IPC-Color4K-T180.jpg

The rain protection will be a bit better once I get the gutters installed.