Planning a new setup..

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, Nice to meet you here!

I've been reading here for a short while and there is still a lot to read depending on the functionality to be implemented. In-depth info, invaluable reviews as well as members' practical experiences make this forum really outstanding!

To start with, I am inclined towards starlight varifocals: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, IPC-HDW5231R-Z because of low light performance. Still undecided which way to go... like the ZE specs but like the Z aesthetics...
Also, how does the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS compare to IPC-HDW5231R-Z (<---can't find this model on Dahua's website)?

I am attracted to IPC-HDW5831R-ZE due to higher resolution and yes, it's sad that it suffers at low light.
What is the experience of using extra IR illumination to cover areas apart from camera's IR? In other words, is it possible to get the best of both worlds?

Regarding NVRs, is it recommended to get Dahua's NVR and ePOE switches? There is no 800m requirement but I would like to achieve highest frame rate possible and wondering if there are some "proprietary" features that won't work without Dahua's NVR &/or Switch.
This will be a new network with CAT6 solid copper UTP cables, other hardware is still under research. Wish to avoid bottlenecks/limitations of processing, bandwidth and storage to get the best performance. Considering 10Gb network as well (I know, it's not required right now). Prevailing thought is to have a higher spec'd system now so cameras can be added/upgraded later to 4K without issues.

Lastly, who is this "Andy" person and how can I contact him to get cameras? Is this still the best route to price+quality for US customers? Or, any other options?

Your thoughts/comments are welcome.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to check out the wiki at the top of the page.

2231 doesn't have a microphone so no audio.
ZE replaced Z, availability of Z version may be limited.

The HDBW4239R-ASE also does very well in COLOR at night if you've got a decent amount of ambient light

There are some new "Starlight +" 4MP cameras that have potential, but only HDCVI models are on the website at this point. IP versions of these are likely a few months away.

Overall, I'd go for mostly 2mp starlight and (future) starlight + models. A camera or two that's higher resolution could be useful during the day.

In a typical house, ePoE isn't necessary. Some NVRs have PoE built in, others don't. Many people here prefer the flexibility of a software VMS like BlueIris on a PC to an NVR.

Last edited:

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you Tangent. Read the wiki as you suggested as well as the cliff notes. Have to go back and read some topics again anyway as needed.

Agree that a separate switch and a PC with BlueIris is better and I'd prefer that as well. Just concerned that certain camera/network features and/or performance may be missing/limited without related OEM hardware. In theory it should not but, would like to make sure of this. I'd rather take time to find all the details than to have surprises later.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Tangent. Read the wiki as you suggested as well as the cliff notes. Have to go back and read some topics again anyway as needed.

Agree that a separate switch and a PC with BlueIris is better and I'd prefer that as well. Just concerned that certain camera/network features and/or performance may be missing/limited without related OEM hardware.
The NVRs are generally far more limiting.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Agree that a separate switch and a PC with BlueIris is better and I'd prefer that as well. Just concerned that certain camera/network features and/or performance may be missing/limited without related OEM hardware. In theory it should not but, would like to make sure of this. I'd rather take time to find all the details than to have surprises later.
HI @myipcam

Remember you can test the Dahua OEM VMS or Hikvision OEM VMS products vs Blue Iris vs other VMS software products.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI @myipcam

Remember you can test the Dahua OEM VMS or Hikvision OEM VMS products vs Blue Iris vs other VMS software products.
Thanks for the reply mat200! Question is, how do I go about "testing" these without buying and returning? Instead, thought I'd gather consensus on what is being used effectively. At the same time, wanted to make sure not to miss out any important parameter(s) i.e. performance, compatibility etc., that OEM equipment *might* have. On the other hand, if a camera is ONVIF compliant, one would assume all of its functions should be available via management software such as BlueIris and the like.

One thing I learned is that assumptions are just that. Many times they can be completely wrong. Hence, trying to get folks here to shed some light before I go down this road.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mat200! Question is, how do I go about "testing" these without buying and returning? Instead, thought I'd gather consensus on what is being used effectively. At the same time, wanted to make sure not to miss out any important parameter(s) i.e. performance, compatibility etc., that OEM equipment *might* have. On the other hand, if a camera is ONVIF compliant, one would assume all of its functions should be available via management software such as BlueIris and the like.

One thing I learned is that assumptions are just that. Many times they can be completely wrong. Hence, trying to get folks here to shed some light before I go down this road.
Hi @myipcam

You need a PC - if you have one that is decent enough you can test for free the various VMS software products - while it is not an NVR they will give you a good idea of differences that are possible.

Just pick up a small POE switch ( LaView recently had a deal for an 8 port, and there was a 9 port Netgear one at $45 on Amazon posted yesterday iirc ) and at least one good camera.

Smart PSS here: ( we have threads here at IPCT on it - so search for those )
SmartPSS – Dahua North America

Hikvision also has software for their products.

Blue Iris has a demo version you can play with.

IPVM has a list of other software you can try out also:
Free VMS Software Directory

There's a number of ways to organize a good solution - I would recommend trying the Blue Iris Demo and compare it with the SmartPSS or the Hikvision OEM VMS.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mat200, got it. Software testing is not a issue at all. I was mainly talking about hardware whether I'd need OEM. Anyway, got the main idea and will have to dive in to see what else shows up.

Thanks!

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question, is it possible to record audio as a separate file and not along with video? Waiting to order cameras and since i haven't played with either hardware or software yet, I am not sure this is a camera specific setting or the NVR software i.e. Blueiris..

Apparently, some states are so lame that you can record security video in what is considered a public space i.e. front yard etc., BUT, it is illegal to record audio without the consent of the other party. Mind you, the "other party" we are talking about here is not on my property to deliver roses.. perhaps, I should give them a warm cup of milk and ask them politely to leave after they broke in..

Don't you think this is asinine?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Laws about recording conversations aren't new. What state are you in?

The video is likely to be more useful than the audio anyway.