Planning New Install - Your Advice Appreciated

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I opted for delayed shipment from Amazon knowing I would be at the coast, but instead of doing that I ended up evacuating the family and building fire suppression on my roof. Was supposed to get my camera today, but Amazon apparently isn't venturing into the danger zone.

Here's the fire suppression I cobbled together in about an hour:

Oh man, best of luck!
Your google drive is locked, and can't be seen.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't distinguish between a package being lost, and being delayed, apparently. My 2nd order is delayed with no explanation, and I expect another message saying "maybe we lost it". I went on chat regarding the issue, and the rep said I have as much info as he does.

Amazing that Amazon ships millions of things per day and doesn't distinguish between something delayed, and something lost. I told the rep where I was going with my line of questioning, that every time I get a message saying the item "might be lost", I'm going to order another one, and that I'm only expecting and accepting 1 item to be delivered. Delays are understandable, not knowing the difference between a lost item and a delay for a company that size is incredible.

I picture myself as a package delivery person walking up to an address empty handed, greeting the resident, and telling them I can't explain why my hands are empty. "I've either lost the package, or it's very delayed for unknown reasons", I tell them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't distinguish between a package being lost, and being delayed, apparently. My 2nd order is delayed with no explanation, and I expect another message saying "maybe we lost it". I went on chat regarding the issue, and the rep said I have as much info as he does.

Amazing that Amazon ships millions of things per day and doesn't distinguish between something delayed, and something lost. I told the rep where I was going with my line of questioning, that every time I get a message saying the item "might be lost", I'm going to order another one, and that I'm only expecting and accepting 1 item to be delivered. Delays are understandable, not knowing the difference between a lost item and a delay for a company that size is incredible.

I picture myself as a package delivery person walking up to an address empty handed, greeting the resident, and telling them I can't explain why my hands are empty. "I've either lost the package, or it's very delayed for unknown reasons", I tell them.
Most likely shipped via USPS, the post office doesn't have a clue, so how would amazon know?
Many complaints in my area about USPS loosing packages and mail.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most likely shipped via USPS, the post office doesn't have a clue, so how would amazon know?
Many complaints in my area about USPS loosing packages and mail.
I forgot about this. Lately they have been delivering things from their own vans or from random delivery drivers, but I suppose they utilize all delivery mechanisms.

In other news, I've been having a hell of a time trying to fish cat6 down a hole that runs to an exterior light. Just as well I suppose as everyone is going to tell me not to run data next to power.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Running a CAT down the same hole as a power cable will violate electrical code, I think. In terms of actual interference with the ethernet signal, I doubt it would be a problem. I would find another way to run that cable though, not really a good idea.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Running a CAT down the same hole as a power cable will violate electrical code, I think. In terms of actual interference with the ethernet signal, I doubt it would be a problem. I would find another way to run that cable though, not really a good idea.
FYI - you could have interference with power lines and cat5e/cat6 cables which are too close to each other. So do keep some distance between them. ( 1/R squared rule applies.. that is 2x the distance gives you 1/4 the interference )

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed. I'll drill another hole.

At my parents farmhouse, the electrical is a mess and probably breaks dozens of modern codes. I ran cat6 with electrical through conduit about 120ft to the garage. There's only 1 conduit, and I'm not running another one, and the place is way out of code anyhow.

Photos show sloppy electrical, not my cat6 run. That hole in the garage is where network will run though, up into the rafters, and out the other side, hopefully running 2 cameras on an NVR.

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a pretty "wild and crazy guy" who, occasionally, has been known to "bend" code and rules, but there's no way in hell I'd run a CAT through 120 feet of conduit with a live AC feed in it. That's looking for problems of all sorts. I strongly suggest you rethink that and either use fiber in that conduit or a dedicated RF link instead. The electrical isolation doing it that way will help reduce, or even help prevent, surge problems from lightening strikes in the area as well as stay in code. Running low voltage and high voltage in the same conduit is a really big no-no!

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well come to think of it, we haven't connected the circuit yet, so network very well could go to hell once it's live. Maybe I'll look into copper to fiber hubs. I just have no interest in another conduit because it would have to go under a concrete walkway, under a boulder wall, through a dog yard and several fences...

Other thought is a Powerline adaptor once the garage is on the same circuit as the house.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Powerline adapters are not a good choice. Too any problems with those having dropouts. They can work, but it can take trying a number of different brands. Why no a dedicated RF link? Ubiquity Loco Nano would work very well in your application. Encrypted RF link, no wire, no fiber and, basically, plug and play. No worry about surges or "being on the same circuit", which actually means being on the same "leg".

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Powerline adapters are not a good choice. Too any problems with those having dropouts. They can work, but it can take trying a number of different brands. Why no a dedicated RF link? Ubiquity Loco Nano would work very well in your application. Encrypted RF link, no wire, no fiber and, basically, plug and play. No worry about surges or "being on the same circuit", which actually means being on the same "leg".
Trying to keep complexity and cost down, and I avoid WiFi whenever possible. Already too many devices connecting to that old AP.

Hah, I don't even have encryption at my parents place. If you're getting signal, you're in the driveway out in farmland, and I'd give you access anyhow.

I've also got to figure out how to get a camera or 2 about 250 ft to the north of the house, at my grandparents place, and about 450 feet east to the barn. There are unused water pipes going both places, so I thought about blowing a pull string through them and using it as conduit. I know that exceeds distance, but I'm not looking for full GB speed. Just enough for a camera or 2.

At my house things will be a little less crackpot.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A dedicated RF link is not WiFi. It is encrypted but is designed as a point to point solution,, directional antennas, to avoid wire. Distance limitations are in the 5km range so that won't be a problem. Cost wise, they aren't all that bad, especially given the amount of work they can save..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A dedicated RF link is not WiFi. It is encrypted but is designed as a point to point solution,, directional antennas, to avoid wire. Distance limitations are in the 5km range so that won't be a problem. Cost wise, they aren't all that bad, especially given the amount of work they can save..

Oh yes, I'm familiar with Ubiquity products. I briefly looked into establishing a connection between my parents and my house 7 miles away, but terrain is still a problem. I thought it still utilized 802.11xx protocols though, similar to a WiFi router in bridge mode and directional antennas.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I've also got to figure out how to get a camera or 2 about 250 ft to the north of the house, at my grandparents place, and about 450 feet east to the barn.
Reconsider fiber. If you have power at those two places, you could run POE switches there that have an SFP uplink port. So your cams get POE and link to the switch close by, but the long run is back to your main switch with an SFP port via the fiber.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to keep complexity and cost down, and I avoid WiFi whenever possible. Already too many devices connecting to that old AP.

Hah, I don't even have encryption at my parents place. If you're getting signal, you're in the driveway out in farmland, and I'd give you access anyhow.

I've also got to figure out how to get a camera or 2 about 250 ft to the north of the house, at my grandparents place, and about 450 feet east to the barn. There are unused water pipes going both places, so I thought about blowing a pull string through them and using it as conduit. I know that exceeds distance, but I'm not looking for full GB speed. Just enough for a camera or 2.

At my house things will be a little less crackpot.
as long as you have decent line of sight, @sebastiantombs just gave you the least problematic way for all of this.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Received an email from Amazon this morning that my 2nd order for the camera has shipped. Clicking the link to track the shipment takes me to a page that says they think the item has been lost (for the 2nd time). On my 3rd chat with Amazon, they can't tell me if the item actually shipped, or is lost. They refunded the purchase and said if it shows up I can keep it.

I know a fool keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results, but do I order it a 3rd time, or finally try a different portal? Reason I went through Amazon is I get 5% off purchases with my store card.