Plastic junction box water tight?

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a junction box to make my IP cameras connections in to seal from the weather. The camera is on on a wood pole the junction box below it.

The junction box uses NPT 1/2 cable glands that is still to big for a single cat5e cable so how does one make it water tight? I can't find a cable glands 1/2 that goes down to the size of a single cat5e cable.

And if you go to small the network connector from the IP camera wont fit through the hole.

Suggestions?

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
I have found that you may need a 3/8" gland for a single cat5e cable. You may be able to find a 3/8" to 1/2" reducer to use that in a 1/2" inlet.

Alternately you can wrap the cat5e cable with a couple turns of self-sealing tape such as coax-seal to increase the diameter sufficiently for the 1/2" gland to then compress around.

Also don't forget that even with glands and every other bit of sealing you could possibly apply always leave a drip loop in the cable before it enters the box.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Many industrial electrical MFR'S make cord grips with all sizes of holes. Try an electrical supply house (not Lowes or Home Depot). They can usually fix you up with whatever you need in the size you need it>

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a junction box to make my IP cameras connections in to seal from the weather. The camera is on on a wood pole the junction box below it.

The junction box uses NPT 1/2 cable glands that is still to big for a single cat5e cable so how does one make it water tight? I can't find a cable glands 1/2 that goes down to the size of a single cat5e cable.

And if you go to small the network connector from the IP camera wont fit through the hole.

Suggestions?
I use coax-seal for that, but I don't understand why wasting a j-box on a single connection. The camera's waterproof connector works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not many here would trust just the camera's waterproof connector, especially if it isn't in a junction box or tucked back into the soffit.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use coax-seal for that, but I don't understand why wasting a j-box on a single connection. The camera's waterproof connector works.
Cameras are not cheap a junction box is. I have had that so called waterproof connector get water inside it over time and short out blowing a pin off the cameras connector now i use that waterproof connector inside a junction box.

BTW does anyone know the pin out for dahua cameras?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score