Playback/Web/Mobile always stuttering, but export is fine

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ive been fighting this issue since I moved to BlueIris trying to track down whats causing it and not finding the cause.

I have an i7-11700 with 16gb RAM, Quadro P1000 Nvidia GPU for DeepStack. Machine I feel is plenty powerful, its barely using 15% on normal use with 17 cameras (Majority are 4k and recording substream and moving to Main on DS alert).

Each time on playback via any method of on server, Web, Mobile its always got this stutter every second or so. But on export its flawless, so I know its recording fine.
I thought it was hardware acceleration, so removed that still same issue. On Playback when monitoring CPU usage its barely going to 20-25%. So not pegging anything there.
All my cams have 1.00 on the keyframes.

Here is a video sample of the stutter im seeing (screen recorded this to show it)

Here is the video sample of that same clip exported. This is what I would expect it to be on playback.

Ive checked alot of the guides/threads and searched around on this and none of the recommendations is really fixing this. Its not a deal breaker for me, so nothing urgent, just be nice to get this to playback normal.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is certainly not normal. Post the video tab from the cameras own interface as well as the video tab in the BI camera settings

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using H265? If so, try pure H264.
Have you completed every single optimization here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Specifically properly excluding BI from any antivirus software, including Windows Defender?
Win 10 or Win11?
Several reported issue's with BI on Win 11.
Win10 Enterprise.
Im using H265, but this happens on H264 as well.

Ive done most of all the optimizations that apply. Ive even completely shut off Windows Defender to rule that out completely. I dont have any Hardware Acceleration, Ive tried it with Intel, Nvidia (which oddly got alot of garbled video), so just kept it off.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is certainly not normal. Post the video tab from the cameras own interface as well as the video tab in the BI camera settings
Video Cam settings:
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.01.29 AM.png

BI Video Tab
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.01.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.02.13 AM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Up the Receiver buffer to 20MB in BI and in the camera GUi go with CBR instead of VBR.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has made headway. Some of the longtime forums members also have this trouble. I have stuttering on playback either webgui or mobile app. exports are fine.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve got no where on this unfortunately and semi gave up on this. It still stutters on any live or playback feed be it on console, we, or mobile. But export is always fine. So we know for a fact nothing to do with recording front.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve got no where on this unfortunately and semi gave up on this. It still stutters on any live or playback feed be it on console, we, or mobile. But export is always fine. So we know for a fact nothing to do with recording front.
This has been an ongoing issue for BI. Any other platforms out there on windows.?

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Webgui does a lil better,but the mobile is oof.

Also, timeline on webgui is perfect. this is just the alert clips.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think others have missed the point that your exports are fine, so that means your camera settings or BlueIris camera recording settings are not to blame.
Here are some pointers that effect playback but not recording;
  • BlueIris try toggling the "also BVR" (Quick Sync can be a bit funny in how threads\queues are allocated)
  • Settings -> WebServer -> Advanced -> Configure on your Streaming Profile. These are the key settings that impact playback on the Web and Mobile apps. Have included mine below, someone more experienced may have some Optimised settings.
Note: These do not impact playback via the GUI!!

1661300701942.png

Attachments

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Same here, no matter what I try settings-wise for the Steaming 0 configuration, my UI3 playback always stutters.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the bi fps being 30 instead of 15 to match camera matter?
No. Here is what they state from the help page:

The max frame rate will always adjust higher, never lower. This value is used internally by
Blue Iris to allocate buffers only, and is not “settable” for network IP cameras. However it is
used to adjust the FPS (frames per second) on USB and other camera types. If the actual
frame rate dips below 15% of the max frame rate, the yellow caution symbol will be
displayed in the camera’s window header.
I think one of the forum posts from the BI tech Sam mentioned something about it allocates more memory.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did alot of troubleshooting last night and this is what I got on this if it helps others. Basically if I adjust the streaming0 settings (you can choose which one as far as 0, 1, 2 based on what you use) to resize the output frame to 720 x 480 its smooth, bitrate doesnt seem to matter. If I bump it to 1280x720 it starts stuttering on either web or mobile playback. Doesnt matter what profile you use of baseline main, high, default (thats usually for the h264 transcoding codec side). Even ultrafast doesnt make a difference. im running this on a i7-11700k with a Quadro P1000 GPU. It also doesnt make a difference if its on IntelQSV or NVenc. Seems like the moment I go above 720x480 it has issues trying to potentially transcode this.

I watched the GPU/CPU while i tested playback via web/mobile on the same clip and CPU never goes above 30%, GPU doesnt even hit 12%. On CPU side I only saw what seemed like 1core pushing higher, which led me to think is this single threaded for some reason the transcoding process, not sure, hard to isolate that when you got 17 cam feeds coming in at substream and deepstack also running on GPU side.

So for now i have it set to use the streaming profile that sets it resize the output frame to 720x480 and its smooth.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did alot of troubleshooting last night and this is what I got on this if it helps others. Basically if I adjust the streaming0 settings (you can choose which one as far as 0, 1, 2 based on what you use) to resize the output frame to 720 x 480 its smooth, bitrate doesnt seem to matter. If I bump it to 1280x720 it starts stuttering on either web or mobile playback. Doesnt matter what profile you use of baseline main, high, default (thats usually for the h264 transcoding codec side). Even ultrafast doesnt make a difference. im running this on a i7-11700k with a Quadro P1000 GPU. It also doesnt make a difference if its on IntelQSV or NVenc. Seems like the moment I go above 720x480 it has issues trying to potentially transcode this.

I watched the GPU/CPU while i tested playback via web/mobile on the same clip and CPU never goes above 30%, GPU doesnt even hit 12%. On CPU side I only saw what seemed like 1core pushing higher, which led me to think is this single threaded for some reason the transcoding process, not sure, hard to isolate that when you got 17 cam feeds coming in at substream and deepstack also running on GPU side.

So for now i have it set to use the streaming profile that sets it resize the output frame to 720x480 and its smooth.
I 'd probably report that to BI support.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just another "me too" chime in. Though, FWIW, using the direct-to-wire option enabled (vs inherit) on one of the UI3 quality profiles causes it to stream live smooth as butter. Still trying to figure out if there is a way to do the same on playback, but I think that isn't possible...

1661651960636.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ever since I "upgraded" my support subscription and jumped to a newer ver of BI. The Ui3 has acted differently and looks a bit different. @wittaj says I got a newer version of UI3 and thats why it's acting diff( worse) laggy) and the iPhone app isn't as smooth.
But I can't pin it down yet, becuase I changed Centruylink routers around at the Condo and this other one doesnt seem as zippy. So I'll have to iron that out first before I say anything concrete.
If your 17 cam system is laggy/stuttery/ at the "console" on playback, ( like mine used to be) it helps to write the cams to 2 drives vs. 1. This frees up resources to actually play video while still recording.