Playing sound file when motion detect is triggered

stefaand

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua 4216-8P NVR and I was wondering if it is possible to play sound files (like: "Warning, you are entering private area, your presence is now being recorded, please leave the area as soon as possible") and send the file to the speakers, which can can be heard, when motion detect is triggered above a certain amount of movement ?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same question stefaand. On my NVR5416 under Setting -- System -- Voice Prompt there is a place to add custom sound files for alarms I assume. I tried to add some basic sound files with .wav, .mp4, and a few others but it wouldn't show up. I don't know what type file the NVR uses....

stefaand

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same question stefaand. On my NVR5416 under Setting -- System -- Voice Prompt there is a place to add custom sound files for alarms I assume. I tried to add some basic sound files with .wav, .mp4, and a few others but it wouldn't show up. I don't know what type file the NVR uses....
My NVR does not have the Setting > System > Voice Prompt, maybe it is somewhere else ? I think should be an easy implementation by the Dahua NVR, as it is able to send email notification when motion is detected, so sending a simple .wav file to the external speakers should be a simple piece of cake, not ? I am sure this must be possible somehow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are expecting too much...it can't do it...PC based software like blue iris has this function...

Ealgiros

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my brand new XVR5108H with latest firmware, I managed to upload a few Mp3 to the device but still no audio out... maybe I have to change the plug adaptors, something to do with the RCA to 3.5 mm male plug ... or I dont know, its not only that the voice prompts do not work but just no audio at all.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get the default beep noise for the motion detection or tripwire, etc......

Ealgiros

n3wb
Reaction score
I am "close" but it's not enough... if I try several times to play the mp3 file, every once in a life time it works, the rest of the times the audio makes a click noise and stops... It seems lik a buggy feature to me... not fully deployed yet... may be next firmware... ?

Ealgiros

n3wb
Reaction score
it was not obvious to me at the beginning ... that the RCA audio output IS NO amplified (you can't just connect a regular non amplified speaker), at least I could solve the cabling, amplifing aspect, now it's all codec playback related, apparently...

Ealgiros

n3wb
Reaction score
I kinda "made it WORK !", I found out that... if you throw mp3 songs to the voice folder.. the XVR just play them back right away. But... if you record a voice from a microphone and save it as mp3 (or export it as mp3 from several formats) for some reason it does not work... tried with the smart phone, from a mic in the computer, from Wav, from 3gp, from amr, from opus, from acc, from mp4, from mpa, etc etc... It seems to be related to the format and also a bit about the size of the file... I managed to playback a few voice recorded mp3s but just the beginning of the audio file... then the playing back gets interrupted before the end. That's how far as I got so far...