Please confirm if I'm on the right track

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's our new setup so far (see picture). This is a dual NIC BI server.

The LAN will plug into the back of the server.

With the second port (separated), I will run a cable to Keystone 1 (red line in picture). Then using a patch cable, connect Keystone 1 to port 1 of POE switch (yellow line in picture).

1000002688.jpg

If the above is correct, my second question is about the NanoStation Loco M5 and it's POE adapter for cameras across the street.

Please see the wiring diagram picture. Where it shows "ToLAN." Is it correct that I need to plug the "ToLAN" into port 2 of the POE switch and the other run is for the antenna?

1000002689.jpg

Please let me know if you need any clarification, and thanks in advance for your time and help!

Last edited:

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why would you not just plug the server directly into the switch?

Guessing we could?? But was thinking the route I mentioned above to use the patch panel and to keep most of the wiring behind the hardware for a clean look. Thank you for your idea!

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, that LAN port from the Nano POE power supply will plug into any of the ports on your POE switch where your other cameras are plugged into and the terminal marked POE goes to the Nano.
Actually it does not draw any power from you POE switch as it (Nano) gets is power from that "so called" POE power supply.
You will need to provide POE to the remote cameras at that location (if needed) via another POE switch, wall warts, or injectors since the Nano does not pass power, only ethernet data.

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guessing we could?? But was thinking the route I mentioned above to use the patch panel and to keep most of the wiring behind the hardware for a clean look. Thank you for your idea!
It's no different to how you're going to run the power.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
99% of my connections are all to the back of the patch panels and then patched on the front to the switches.

2023-07-05_10-46-42_650.jpeg

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, that LAN port from the Nano POE power supply will plug into any of the ports on your POE switch where your other cameras are plugged into and the terminal marked POE goes to the Nano.
Actually it does not draw any power from you POE switch as it (Nano) gets is power from that "so called" POE power supply.
You will need to provide POE to the remote cameras at that location (if needed) via another POE switch, wall warts, or injectors since the Nano does not pass power, only ethernet data.
Thank you for your time and info.

And yes, we have the equipment for across the street. Just need to complete our server infrastructure build. Then we'll hang this and start on the other side.

1000002690.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While I understand the desire the have a "clean" install, adding the keystone panel/connectors for this use case just adds several extra points of failure (the keystone connector itself and a second patch cable) for absolutely no reason. Patch panels are normally used to terminate runs from other locations at a central location so that the tech can plug in only the runs that are actually needed at that time. In this case, you know you will always need to plug in that wire, so why triple the chances of failure?

They make 1u "brush" panels that you can use to clean up any wires coming from the back of the panel to the front of the panel. With some proper cable management, the "look" the brush panel provides can be exactly the same as a patch panel. However I would highly suggest this solution vs a patch panel for those wires because it removes two points of failure.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I understand the desire the have a "clean" install, adding the keystone panel/connectors for this use case just adds several extra points of failure (the keystone connector itself and a second patch cable) for absolutely no reason. Patch panels are normally used to terminate runs from other locations at a central location so that the tech can plug in only the runs that are actually needed at that time. In this case, you know you will always need to plug in that wire, so why triple the chances of failure?

They make 1u "brush" panels that you can use to clean up any wires coming from the back of the panel to the front of the panel. With some proper cable management, the "look" the brush panel provides can be exactly the same as a patch panel. However I would highly suggest this solution vs a patch panel for those wires because it removes two points of failure.

Great explanation and makes good sense. Thank you for this input!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.