Please critique my camera placement/selection

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I was looking for some help with camera types (turret vs bullet) around my house. Below is a survey of our home. I was leaning towards 6-8 cameras outdoors.

Here's what I was thinking:
  1. Corner of the garage near the backyard facing the driveway (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E? although I don't love the bullet cam look).
  2. Two to cover front of the house (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE?).
  3. One rear corner of the house opposite side of the garage facing out (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE?)
  4. Two to cover the backyard (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE?)
That's 6 cameras outside. I can probably use something at the front door as well for package and facial recognition/identification but I'm not sure what maybe a IPC-T5442TM-AS.

Is this layout and camera selection reasonable given my property size? Can I do better?

Thanks
Sam

OurHouseInTheMiddleOfOurStreet.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks ok to me.

I use two cameras on the front door, one covering the package drop area, and one mounted low covering people walking up.
I would buy only one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE then test what lens are need at the other locations.

Build a test rig and test your location, Test rig a 5 gallon bucket with rocks, a 8-12 foot 2x4, mount one camera.
Remember to test that you can get the face of the person coming up to the house, what happened and more importantly who did it. Get a friend in a hoodie, ball cap, sun glasses can you identify them.

Try using the camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Amazon.com: Empire Tech
Kingsecurity2018 @ Amazon.com:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
looks ok to me.

I use two cameras on the front door, one covering the package drop area, and one mounted low covering people walking up.
I would buy only one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE then test what lens are need at the other locations.

Build a test rig and test your location, Test rig a 5 gallon bucket with rocks, a 8-12 foot 2x4, mount one camera.
Remember to test that you can get the face of the person coming up to the house, what happened and more importantly who did it. Get a friend in a hoodie, ball cap, sun glasses can you identify them.

Try using the camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Amazon.com: Empire Tech
Kingsecurity2018 @ Amazon.com:
Actually Andy helped me select the cameras but he didn’t actually have context at the time about my layout etc which is why I posted it with my survey, locations of the cameras, etc

Not noted on there is my existing doorbell camera which is a Nest. Frankly I quite like its package detection and facial recognition despite the RMF and lack of local storage. But I’m hoping the additional cameras especially the 5442TM takes care of the rest. I haven’t seen too many people ultra excited about any of the other doorbell cameras but maybe I’m wrong. Happy to hear suggestions.

I saw the calculator but wasn’t too keen on the extra $100 cost for a membership. Almost rather make a mistake on an extra camera than pay that price for a calculator.

I like the idea of the test you suggested and maybe I can do that and just run the Cat5e through a window until I know where they would go. Thanks for the suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (at 70 y.o. that is not as good) You can do three cameras for free, just do three at a time.