Please Double Check my Assumptions

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried Arlo for about a week and learned a lot about what I didn't know :) It quickly became evident that I needed a better system.

I'm going with Blue Iris and want to start with my front door (see attached picture - red dots are proposed camera positions) to get my feet wet. BTW - this site and you people are wonderful!

Front Door.png

Near the left side of the door, 5 ft high, I'll mount an IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Mini Dome to see people's faces. Mounting will be direct to the cast concrete above the intercom, no junction box, to help with the WAF.

Higher up and to the left I'll mount an IPC-HDW5231R-Z to cover the approach to the door. (I'll also use this camera to test other locations for the eventually completed system). I'm going to use the 2x4 and bucket approach to determine the final positions.

The 52311R-Z will be mounted on a junction box. The wall construction is Synthetic Stucco/EIFS/Stucco-covered Foam. I'll drill mounting holes large enough for "spacer tubes" to be inserted. These tubes will reach from the surface of the stucco, through the foam, to the sheathing. The tubes will support the junction box and keep it from dimpling the stucco/foam when it is tightened down.

I went with the 5231R-Z instead of the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS because of the improved substreaming (but this is just a guess on my part).

Any comments would be appreciated!

TIA

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at a turret cameras. Dome cameras have problems with reflections.
The locations look great to me.
Go with Andy from Empire Tech for your camera purchased.