Please help configure my new Asus

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to get my cameras working in BI with my new Asus AC2900 router. They work fine when I plug the unmanaged POE switches into the old modem/router but when I move them to the Asus they give me the old check IP notice. I tried a few simple things like going to properties on each cam and clicking ok so they go to the color bar but nothing seems to work. When I move them back to the old router they pop right up. My PC and the Roku don't have a problem getting to the network from the new router either. As usual, it's probably something simple to you guys but I figured I'd ask and save the headache.

Thanks
network Final.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cameras ip address must match the asus subnet...most likely you are on a different subnet than your old router. Also ideally the pc should be connected to the same switch as cams but unrelated to your issue.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
ideally the pc should be connected to the same switch as cams but unrelated to your issue.
Q: Why?
A1: To keep the [camera]-to-[BI-PC] video traffic from going through the Asus router?
For ip traffic mgmt, that makes sense.
A2: Or are you concerned that the home LAN (supported by Asus Router) will take a performance hit?
By that logic, maybe connect the Roku to the Asus, instead of thru the POE switch? I don't believe Roku benefits from POE, ie: a Roku power supply will be needed. And why have a streaming camera and streaming Roku go through the same POE switch?

Inquiring minds want to know, lol
Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Q: Why?
A1: To keep the [camera]-to-[BI-PC] video traffic from going through the Asus router?
For ip traffic mgmt, that makes sense.
A2: Or are you concerned that the home LAN (supported by Asus Router) will take a performance hit?
By that logic, maybe connect the Roku to the Asus, instead of thru the POE switch? I don't believe Roku benefits from POE, ie: a Roku power supply will be needed. And why have a streaming camera and streaming Roku go through the same POE switch?

Inquiring minds want to know, lol
Fastb
Some routers choke on the cameras video feed. He likely doesn't want to run a separate cable for the Roku...the switch will handle it no problem.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some routers choke on the cameras video feed. He likely doesn't want to run a separate cable for the Roku...the switch will handle it no problem.
I actually was running the PC and cams into the switch on the old modem/router before with no problem, that would still work taking the Asus out of the loop.

Now BI will not see the cams unless the switches are run to the old modem and the PC is run straight to the new modem. Still lost.

fenderman, I can't figure out "cameras ip address must match the asus subnet...most likely you are on a different subnet than your old router"

It's been a long day, Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually was running the PC and cams into the switch on the old modem/router before with no problem, that would still work taking the Asus out of the loop.

Now BI will not see the cams unless the switches are run to the old modem and the PC is run straight to the new modem. Still lost.

fenderman, I can't figure out "cameras ip address must match the asus subnet...most likely you are on a different subnet than your old router"

It's been a long day, Thanks
There are a bunch of threads that discuss it..basic networking...

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DHCP v Static, your PC and Roku are probably using DHCP to get an address so are indifferent when on either of the routers, but the cameras may be on static and so become confused, BUT having said that, this is only an assumption based on the minimal info you have provided and the answer may be different

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did battle with my network and finally got the cams to show up behind the Asus. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the DHCP starting and ending pool addresses not matching the other settings. I also set my PC to a fixed IP per this vid: I also changed my cams to 192.168.1.XX instead of 192.168.0.XX which took a lot of running back and forth switching from the old router/modem to the new one so I could update BI. I'm not sure this was the best way to do it but like I say sometimes "don't argue with success".

Anyway, I hope this helps someone that may be in the same situation in the future. It's probably networking 101 anyway.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would have been much easier to change the Lan settings in the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. :)