PLEASE HELP..IP CAM COMPLETE NOOB NOT COMPUTER ILLITERATE AT ALL

dallas916

n3wb
Reaction score
so i bought some cameras on offerup not knowing really anything about wireless ip cameras or how they are hooked up via dvr/nvr well the guy didnt tell me the set i bought and i foolishly didnt look into em beforehand..well he didnt give me the nvr for the set of canavis wireless ip cameras(also didnt give me the power supplies but i can get around that ) there ethernet not p.o.e now iv read so much stuff online for months now iv been working or trying to find a way to hook em straight to my pc to view live on a monitor i dont need to record as of now i just want to get em to work but theres so much online its not clear enough and its frustrated me to the point of actually turning to a forum for the 2nd time in my life i dont like asking for help but i need these to work.....so can someone help me step by step if its possible and everywhere says it is to just hook em to my pc via ethernet or plug them into my router to get it going.....im having issues finding the ip of the camera im slightly familiar with network scanning in linux and stuff i just need some help with this please can someone give me the idiots guide?

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're not going to be able to scan the network to find them if they aren't on the same subnet as your pc. You say they aren't POE but ethernet... can you explain that?
Do you know the make/model? If so, look up how to factory reset them. Then you will know what the default IP is. Once you do this, you can power it up and plug the ethernet cable into your pc, change your pc IP address to the same subnet as the default of the camera. For example, default ip of camera = 192.168.2.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 you would change your PC IP to 192.168.2.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway = irrelevant

post a link to the model

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so i bought some cameras on offerup not knowing really anything about wireless ip cameras or how they are hooked up via dvr/nvr well the guy didnt tell me the set i bought and i foolishly didnt look into em beforehand..well he didnt give me the nvr for the set of canavis wireless ip cameras(also didnt give me the power supplies but i can get around that ) there ethernet not p.o.e now iv read so much stuff online for months now iv been working or trying to find a way to hook em straight to my pc to view live on a monitor i dont need to record as of now i just want to get em to work but theres so much online its not clear enough and its frustrated me to the point of actually turning to a forum for the 2nd time in my life i dont like asking for help but i need these to work.....so can someone help me step by step if its possible and everywhere says it is to just hook em to my pc via ethernet or plug them into my router to get it going.....im having issues finding the ip of the camera im slightly familiar with network scanning in linux and stuff i just need some help with this please can someone give me the idiots guide?
Welcome @dallas916

Ask the person who sold it to you:
1) IP addresses he used.
2) User / Passwords he used.
3) Ask if they have any "how to" links or guides for the product you purchased.

Also as ClarityAVS notes, if you're looking for assistance you're going to want to share more information on the products you purchased.

dallas916

n3wb
Reaction score
You're not going to be able to scan the network to find them if they aren't on the same subnet as your pc. You say they aren't POE but ethernet... can you explain that?
Do you know the make/model? If so, look up how to factory reset them. Then you will know what the default IP is. Once you do this, you can power it up and plug the ethernet cable into your pc, change your pc IP address to the same subnet as the default of the camera. For example, default ip of camera = 192.168.2.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 you would change your PC IP to 192.168.2.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway = irrelevant

post a link to the model
it has two ports on the camera one for the ethernet plug and one for a power supply???? p.o.e powered over ethernet dont they require only one plug and the cameras are canavis wireless ip cameras model name CA-WL672-IP1M 720p/1.0 megapixel and like i said i got them off offerup they could be stolen for all i know

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CA-WL672-IP1M 720p/1.0 megapixel

A quick search lead me to the CANAVIS amazon product page.

note the vendor states: ". If you need any help in installation, please e-mail us for teaching video"

Wireless Security Camera System Outdoor,CANAVIS 4 Channel 960P DVR 4Pcs 720P 1.3MP Night Vision IP Security Surveillance Cameras Home, Plug&Play,Easy Remote View, NO HDD
1585249537314.png

If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a better IP PoE kit. WiFi kits are not very reliable from our experiences, and 720P is obsolete.

Otherwise, bench test the kit - hopefully you have the user / password to the DVR.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@dallas916 Usually a POE camera will include two connections , one for external power incase you don't have POE capabilities or the distance you're running requires it, etc, and then also the port for the ethernet cable. It looks like the model you have is wireless with an option for ethernet, but you are correct, it's not POE in this case. Everything else still stands though, if you can reset the camera you will be fine. You may be better off spending money to get a new system and cutting your loses with these cameras. Wyze makes wireless cameras that are very capable for $25-35 and you won't need an NVR/DVR for those.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, often times you can remove the housing of the camera. Once you have that off, you may see a reset button on the chip (power board ,motherboard, whatever you want to call it). Once you find that button, you hold that down while plugging in the power supply, continue holding for another 10-20 seconds. This will set it back to factory reset. But this isn't for every brand/model, it's hard to find any information on canavis cameras. Good luck!

dallas916

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you guys very much i appreciate sorry to waste your time one more quick question. say i change over the ip and get that all set what software should i use to view the cameras i heard about ispy and vln also what kind of load will it put on my pc im running a dual cpu mobo xeon 5560 cpu's 24gb ddr3

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m not sure what software will work with those cameras. I’ve read people having success with iSpy with that brand but I’m not sure if those were the 720p models or not. First is to get them reset, then worry about software. Email that seller on Amazon and ask for the manual for the cameras or reset information.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked the CANAVIS system that @mat200 found on Amazon, you can search the comments/questions and reviews to see if anyone figured out the rtsp and/or ONVIF to be able to play in other software, like VLC to test them out:

From Amazon user Luke:
"...Here are the rtsp urls so you can stream with alternative players. Replace PASSWORD with the password you set in the device setup and replace x.x.x.x with the ip of the recording unit. Use a static ip or assigned ip from DHCP if your router supports it for getting the nvr on your network. I've been able to view using iSpy on my laptop and an rtsp player on my android phone. I also tested in VLC and it streamed from the rtsp urls fine as well.
rtsp:/admin:PASSWORD@x.x.x.x/media=0/channel=1&level=1
rtsp:/admin:PASSWORD@x.x.x.x/media=0/channel=2&level=1
rtsp:/admin:PASSWORD@x.x.x.x/media=0/channel=3&level=1
rtsp:/admin:PASSWORD@x.x.x.x/media=0/channel=4&level=1"

Last edited: