Please help me out, newbie :)

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Defender older 8ch system to monitor / record with a 600 tvl cameras , and be able to check on my Samsung phone. My neighbor will buy it from me, and I would like to upgrade it to a better system. So many out there , and my budget is limited. Please help me out . I have a D1 system now, and I would like to get a 1080p dvr 8ch . I only want to buy 1 dome and an other regular cam's now and if i will have money later will buy 6 more. I can't afford a $500-600 hikvision system, i heard people prefer them. I have a budget around $200-250 for the DVR and $100-150 for the camera /each. What should I get?
I found this camera: http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Outdoor-Bullet-Security/dp/B00G7GMEOG
and the systems are :
- Amcrest
- Swann
- or mini dvr?
Please help me out. Price doesn't need to include hdd, and 1 more question, is the quality of the video will be significantly better than what i have now?
Thank you for any help!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I found for $300 a Hikvision Original Overseas English DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH NVR for HD IP Camera. What else I need for this system? Honestly like I posted I am not an expert and the Defender D1 system I have use an rca connector from the camera. What is this system use ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found for $300 a Hikvision Original Overseas English DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH NVR for HD IP Camera. What else I need for this system? Honestly like I posted I am not an expert and the Defender D1 system I have use an rca connector from the camera. What is this system use ?
Welcome to the forum. Dont buy anything until you understand the difference between US region and china region hikvision. You will be really sorry if you dont. There are many threads on this subject. You are looking at ip cameras and an NVR. Your old system uses Coax cable, are you sure its rca not bnc?
IF you want to use your old cable look at something like this http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html
Otherwise, since you have the budget, start reading and learning about ip systems.
Do your neighbor a favor and dont sell him that 600tvl system. its crap. He can buy a MUCH better cheaper system with lifetime return for 300
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-8-720p-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100161016.html

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that q-see system you think even would work for me as well? Is it a huge difference against my d1 600 tvl? Honestly i don't know anything about ip cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that q-see system you think even would work for me as well? Is it a huge difference against my d1 600 tvl? Honestly i don't know anything about ip cameras.
The qsee system and lorex system i linked are both not ip. They are HD over coax, but 720p which is MUCH MUCH better than 600tvl. The difference is night and day.
if you can afford it get the 1080p system its a good deal for 8 cameras and NVR.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
How much would cost a 1080p 8ch with 4 cam? And where should i look for it?
Will it use my data the ip cams? I have gap on my usage with my internet provider...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@atti_mac you seem very very very green in this topic and technology. While this site will help guide you and educate you understanding some basics first will most likely go a long way vs. having everyone hold your hand question after question. Take a look at these guides I posted awhile ago. They will help you understand IP Cameras, Differences in Quality, Different Lens options, etc.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7097-Resource-Guide-on-IP-Technology-for-all-Noobs?highlight=Noobs+guides

Good luck sir, there are plenty of people here willing to help you but you'll need a little understanding on your end in order to be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand your point but honestly I really don't have time spent 2 weeks to learn about the whole system and read lots of article. Usually I do when i buy something but this time i will have no time . If the ip cams only use a network system with an internal ip it is fine but if will use my data all the time it is an issue. I guess it will not. Also did a calculation and dont think i can find cheaper deal than 85$x4 for the cameras and $300 for the unit. That is about $650. I don't think in my needs required that . I will fine with a costco deal. Thank u for that. Even ebay more expensive than that . Will look tonight in it but i will work till 11pm. Looks like for that price it is a decent quality to me.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
so anyone familiar enough to tell me what are the differences of those 2? I can't find any detail on the Costco one, and the Newegg what selling is not posted on the q see website as well... So are those dvr's a same? What about the cameras?
Looks like Costco comes with : 720p HD Bullet Camera QCA7209B 3.6mm
And Newegg with : 720p BNC HD Bullet Camera QTH7211B 2.8mm
I noticed the image sensor is different too. Any noticeable quality different because of it?

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Costco deal... The cameras are better. DVR looks a same , just different design, or production line...

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman , for the video, it was very helpful. Some people can answer to the question with clear answer...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman , for the video, it was very helpful. Some people can answer to the question with clear answer...
I would suggest spending a bit more and getting the 1080p.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I looked for hours and a best deal i found was $300 for the dvr and $85/each for the ip cams. 8 cameras with the dvr is $990. I can't afford that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked for hours and a best deal i found was $300 for the dvr and $85/each for the ip cams. 8 cameras with the dvr is $990. I can't afford that.
I posted this link earlier.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html
Also, in your original post you budgeted 100-150 per camera and 250 for the NVR. You can get a good ip system for that kind of money. That is why you were advised to learn about the difference between systems and not just jump into it and buy right away.
Spend some time now vs regretting it later.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, i only clicked on the $300 one you posted. I bought that one. It will be a huge difference after that 600tvl i had. Maybe next time i will buy the lorex 1080p :)

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
In my previous calculation I was only planing to have a IP dvr with 1 or 2 cameras. But when you posted the Coscto deal, i realized, I don't need that system. If I was happy for 2 years with my 600 tvl Defender, I will be satisfied with a 720p. I only need to monitor things around my house. It will give me much better , clean picture than i had. So I am not trying to chase the "best" newer systems , I wanted something better than I have, and I think for the money , that was the best choice.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
In my previous calculation I was only planing to have a IP dvr with 1 or 2 cameras. But when you posted the Coscto deal, i realized, I don't need that system. If I was happy for 2 years with my 600 tvl Defender, I will be satisfied with a 720p. I only need to monitor things around my house. It will give me much better , clean picture than i had. So I am not trying to chase the "best" newer systems , I wanted something better than I have, and I think for the money , that was the best choice.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@atti_mac glad you are happy with your purchase but this is why I said "invest the time" as well as "we're here to help, not hold your hand". You received some solid advice. Fender tried to guide you to a solid solution on a very tight budget and you still purchased a sub par system by todays standards. No one recommended the best of the best to you, and all you did was a moderate upgrade, when for another 100-200 bucks you could have almost doubled your quality and feature set. A 600TVL system is okay if you want to watch the dog and kids, but if something were to have ever happened and you needed to replay, ID, and enlarge a subject you would have thrown that system out in the yard and gone Office Space on it. While the 720 analog system you picked up will surely be better then that defender system, you still could have done better.

Best of luck and hope you don't regret not investing the time into doing additional research and understanding what your options were.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The nice thing is he can always return it, its costco, so if he changes his mind next year he can just pack the system up and bring it back.:D