Please help me out, newbie :)

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Zero-degrees,
Few things happened from the day when i decided to do this :)
I am working offshore, and because the oil prices i couldn't go back to my rotation. I had to stay an other 2 weeks home, what is a significant pay cut...
My neighbor needed a cheap system asap, so i had to sell it install it, and replace mine asap. The Costco deal was only for couple more day . I know about electronics, so not that newbie than you guys thought , but i needed to see what is the quality differences earlier, and because i didn't follow the sec cam industry lately, i didn't know about the 1080p or IP connection cameras . I am appreciate all the help, and specially the Costco deal what was pointed out. Yes, i could spend more money , but not worth it in my situation right now. I payed $325 with 2T and 8 cameras. I could buy the 1080P as mentioned from Costco for $540 , but that is $215 more, and now, I don't think I should invest more in this. It would be perfect for me. The 600 TVL did a job for 1.5 years . I recorded a burglary in the night with it , when they stole my neighbor's tail gate from his truck, and gave it to the police , and they were able to recognize the Truck! Cut the mail guy to lie to deliver an $800 value box , when he just drove by that day. :) So it did the job. Now I can't wait to see what will be the 720 P can show :) . Like you said maybe next year will change it to 1080p. 1 more question.. That 1080p deal with Costco what uses a same bnc cameras , how is the quality improving versus the IP camera system with the cat5 cables?

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Well a small update.. I received the 8ch 720p yesterday night, put it together , and turned out the motherboard is bad. No video... That was a reason I asked for help. Didn't want to spent 2 weeks to learn about the system, and hear people whining about (brand war).. I came here to ask opinion if somebody use any of this system so they can compare it. No I have to RMA -it send it back and wait weeks for replace when I will leave monday and will leave the family without cameras. I could even buy the 1080p lorex for $540, but i can't afford it.. All I have if i decide to return this instead of sending it back, I can squeeze an other $100 so total of $425. Any of you can help me to refer any other 8ch 1080p or 720p ? I was doing research, and a best price I found was $300 itself for a dvr 1080p, but the cameras are 8X $85 is the catch.. I don't know what brand or system you guys talking about when was mentioned a much better system for couple hundreds more investment..
What is a really difference between the 1080p with BNC or 1080P with cat5 cables? The speed ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well a small update.. I received the 8ch 720p yesterday night, put it together , and turned out the motherboard is bad. No video... That was a reason I asked for help. Didn't want to spent 2 weeks to learn about the system, and hear people whining about (brand war).. I came here to ask opinion if somebody use any of this system so they can compare it. No I have to RMA -it send it back and wait weeks for replace when I will leave monday and will leave the family without cameras. I could even buy the 1080p lorex for $540, but i can't afford it.. All I have if i decide to return this instead of sending it back, I can squeeze an other $100 so total of $425. Any of you can help me to refer any other 8ch 1080p or 720p ? I was doing research, and a best price I found was $300 itself for a dvr 1080p, but the cameras are 8X $85 is the catch.. I don't know what brand or system you guys talking about when was mentioned a much better system for couple hundreds more investment..
What is a really difference between the 1080p with BNC or 1080P with cat5 cables? The speed ?
You dont need to rma it, its costco...just return it and buy a new unit.
You dont have enough of a budget for 8 decent ip cameras...so there is no point in discussing it unless you are willing to spend more. There are tons of threads discussing hikvision and dahua cameras.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't return it and buy a new... It was only few day sale, this is why i told you i need to hurry to make a decision. And they don't have it in the store, only online order..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't return it and buy a new... It was only few day sale, this is why i told you i need to hurry to make a decision. And they don't have it in the store, only online order..
call them they will likely do it for you. Dont sent the unit back, its a waste of time...or swap it for the 1080p unit.

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking to swap it to the 1080p unit , but it is $200 different. I am not sure if worth it. What do you think? I got the 720p for $325 with 8 cams. Just those cameras worth the $300 , cost $40 a piece, and the dvr is free :).. But broken :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking to swap it to the 1080p unit , but it is $200 different. I am not sure if worth it. What do you think? I got the 720p for $325 with 8 cams. Just those cameras worth the $300 , cost $40 a piece, and the dvr is free :).. But broken :)
its worth it. By the time you make up your mind you will be robbed with no footage, murphy's law.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Go to Costco, walk up to the return counter, place the bad product on the counter and give them the receipt, make the following statement, "I purchased this the other day, it no longer works, I would like to exchange it for the same model/item". They will most likely 99.9% likely give you the exact same one in exchange for not a penny more. They should be able to ship it to you since it isn't carried in store.

sorry, but tried to help last time and don't feel like talking to someone who doesn't want help again. Just get the same thing so you can get your coverage back up and protect the family before you leave.

Also, no one once brought up "brands" or even took you down a "brand war" path - that rarely happens here, people might have preferences but few OPs slander brands.

good luck sir

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Will not bug you guys more, I only ask for 1 thing :)
I think I will walk in tomorrow, and screw the rma , i will return it. I can get this unit below, from Sam's Club, this 1080P with 8 cam for $399. I can get it before I will leave the town. So you guys think this is worth the money, and that 1080P will much better than the Costco model?
Here is the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-8x8-1080p-1tb-hh-wd/prod18670269.ip?navAction=push

And thank you again!

atti_mac

n3wb
Reaction score
Will not bug you guys more, I only ask for 1 thing :)
I think I will walk in tomorrow, and screw the rma , i will return it. I can get this unit below, from Sam's Club, this 1080P with 8 cam for $399. I can get it before I will leave the town. So you guys think this is worth the money, and that 1080P will much better than the Costco model?
Here is the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-8x8-1080p-1tb-hh-wd/prod18670269.ip?navAction=push

And thank you again!

midnight

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Dont buy anything until you understand the difference between US region and china region hikvision. You will be really sorry if you dont. There are many threads on this subject.
Tried distributors and had no response so bought elsewhere and think I have run into China problems. All my DS-2CD3345-I cameras work perfectly but the DS-7608NI-E2/8P I cant access and Hikvision wont support. Be careful... Not sure what I can do. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8110-DS-7608NI-E2-8P-can-t-access-new