Please help with camera selection

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to setup a security camera system at my house. The house is a small single story of approximately 1400sqft. I call it a glorified mobile home only because it has stucco vs aluminum siding, and it's rectangle shape like a mobile home.
I'm am wanting to setup a Blue Iris PC to run the cameras. Initially I want 2 bullet cameras placed under the eaves, one in the corner under the eave looking sideways across the front of the house and the other down the side by the front door looking towards the front of the house.
How should I go about selecting my first 2 cameras? What should I expect to pay? Yes, I would like a very good quality picture, so I would say upper range in quality. I do already have a POE switch, this one , so maybe it is usable or not depending on what cameras I get.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to setup a security camera system at my house. The house is a small single story of approximately 1400sqft. I call it a glorified mobile home only because it has stucco vs aluminum siding, and it's rectangle shape like a mobile home.
I'm am wanting to setup a Blue Iris PC to run the cameras. Initially I want 2 bullet cameras placed under the eaves, one in the corner under the eave looking sideways across the front of the house and the other down the side by the front door looking towards the front of the house.
How should I go about selecting my first 2 cameras? What should I expect to pay? Yes, I would like a very good quality picture, so I would say upper range in quality. I do already have a POE switch, this one , so maybe it is usable or not depending on what cameras I get.
Hi @Oceanslider

Define what you think are the greatest threats which the security cameras will be used to counter.

Examples:
1) If car door checkers you'll want a good low light ability in the camera. ( as we often see them come out at night )
2) If the mailbox is by the street and you want to watch it, you'll want a varifocal camera. ( to change the FOV / "zoom" to get enough pixels on the mailbox area )

Without knowing the particular threats I would look at a varifocal Dahua OEM 2mp starlight or a 4mp starlight+ model.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

Define what you think are the greatest threats which the security cameras will be used to counter.

Examples:
1) If car door checkers you'll want a good low light ability in the camera. ( as we often see them come out at night )
2) If the mailbox is by the street and you want to watch it, you'll want a varifocal camera. ( to change the FOV / "zoom" to get enough pixels on the mailbox area )

Without knowing the particular threats I would look at a varifocal Dahua OEM 2mp starlight or a 4mp starlight+ model.
Yes basically car door checker at night most important. Where I leave my work truck in front of my house would be about 15', maybe 20' to back of truck, from where I want to put the camera. Regretfully I have to leave certain tools that are just to much to take out of the truck bed every night also.

The other camera will be on the side of the house about 2/3 way down from the front of the house looking towards the front gate entrance. So about 35' from side entry gate that leads to the front door on the side of the house. This camera will also be able to see part of my truck bed at least, and persons that walk up to the side entry gate.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes basically car door checker at night most important. Where I leave my work truck in front of my house would be about 15', maybe 20' to back of truck, from where I want to put the camera. Regretfully I have to leave certain tools that are just to much to take out of the truck bed every night also.

The other camera will be on the side of the house about 2/3 way down from the front of the house looking towards the front gate entrance. So about 35' from side entry gate that leads to the front door on the side of the house. This camera will also be able to see part of my truck bed at least, and persons that walk up to the side entry gate.
Hi @Oceanslider

Looks for some of the image captures from @TonyR on door checkers.

Get 2 cameras - mount them about 6-8 feet high - one on each side of the garage door ( assuming you are parking in front of your garage ) both pointing inwards. This way you can increase the chances of a good facial ID image.

One of the cameras I would look at a good varifocal 4MP starlight+ model that you can keep in full color mode around the clock, and I would modify the FOV so that at the sidewalk where your driveway starts you have a width of 1.5x19.2 feet = about 28.5 feet. ( that will give you about 100 ppf density )

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

Looks for some of the image captures from @TonyR on door checkers.

Get 2 cameras - mount them about 6-8 feet high - one on each side of the garage door ( assuming you are parking in front of your garage ) both pointing inwards. This way you can increase the chances of a good facial ID image.

One of the cameras I would look at a good varifocal 4MP starlight+ model that you can keep in full color mode around the clock, and I would modify the FOV so that at the sidewalk where your driveway starts you have a width of 1.5x19.2 feet = about 28.5 feet. ( that will give you about 100 ppf density )
Good idea on 2 cameras in each corner of the front of the house over just the one I was thinking. Very good. Sounds like i could adjust parameters of the cameras being that it could be “varifocal”. Do you by chance have a link to some examples? I see there are vendor topics here and have heard mention of “Andy”. But when I go to that storefront it’s all Greek to me with the Myriad of options available.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good idea on 2 cameras in each corner of the front of the house over just the one I was thinking. Very good. Sounds like i could adjust parameters of the cameras being that it could be “varifocal”. Do you by chance have a link to some examples? I see there are vendor topics here and have heard mention of “Andy”. But when I go to that storefront it’s all Greek to me with the Myriad of options available.
Hi Oceanslider

Check out the following forum section:

Ok - correction, I want you to check out bigredfish's video:

here's the black and white from one side.. he's got a really good color one from the other side / camera ( note he is using a CVI / coax analog model.. still the concept of FOV is the same .. )

hmmm.. search his youtube or the above forum section for the other video capture.
( I did not find it quickly this time.. )

other examples to check out that have been shared here:

In terms of particular models, look for SouthernYankee's list he recommends new members to check out.