Please recommend a DVR

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Members - My simple NVR finally kicked the bucket. I am looking for a NVR with has 16 channels and a simple interface. I have 10 Dahua ONVIF cameras. All IP cameras so I don't need any interfaces iPhones and iPads have IP software that I am very happy with to view cameras. Don't need any POE ports or hybrid capability. The old NVR has a 4TB Purple drive which still works fine.

Any thoughts?

Thank You.

M

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm purposely skipping the BI vs. NVR issue. Should you decide on an NVR I'll report that my 5216-4ks2 has been extremely reliable for a few years, and isn't horribly difficult to use. Be warned that if any of your cameras are chinese market dahua cameras, a dahua NVR with current firmware will not work with them. Also, older dahua cameras may or may not send IVS events over onvif. You can determine this with onvif device manager. If your cameras are international models, then a new dahua NVR should work great with them using the "private" protocol. (I'm hedging with "should" just because I don't personally know any of the cameras other than those I use).

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Only have Mac OS computers so have not looked into BI. Our setup needs a 16 Channel NVR with or without POE. Since I have 100% Dahua Cameras I started my search with Dahua DVRs.
My System - I have a Cisco POE Switch so I really don’t need NVR POE ports unless it somehow helps the DVR Function. Record and Playback is really all I use. All mobile devices are running IP Cam Viewer Pro. On the Mac OS computers I am running IP Camera Viewer 2. For cameras I have 8 of Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, 1 IPC-HDW5631R-ZE cameras and doorbell DB2
I am currently looking at NVR4116HS-4KS2, *NVR4216-4KS2 and *NVR-5216-4KS2. *These also come with 16 Port POE.

Any help would be appreciated on pros & cons. I not against going with other brand NVR but thought I would start with Dahua.

Thank You

M

Last edited:

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know how loud the Dahua NVR-5216-4KS2 is. The NVR is in the rack with our theatre system so if it is loud I think I should keep looking... The inop old one did not have a fan.

M

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I not against going with other brand NVR but thought I would start with Dahua.
If you go with another brand NVR, you most likely won’t be able to use any Dahua “Smart” features in your cameras, like IVS. The NVR brand has to match the camera brand for Dahua/Hik smart features to work.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess I never use my "Smart" features. I even had to look up what IVS was. Most likely because we only have Mac OS computers with NACL Web Service and most nice interfaces are from Windows based machines.

Quiet operation is essential as I like the NVR to be in the theatre room for convenience.

M

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The only NVR I know personally is a 5216-4ks2 (no POE). It uses an external power brick and therefore has no power supply fan. My opinion is that its built in fan is pretty reasonable, noise-wise. Not silent, however. In general, NVRs with built-in POE have very noisy power supply fans. When you realize that it takes at least a couple hundred watts to power the POE switch, that explains the need for a lot of airflow. If you use an external POE switch, many of them are horribly noisy. There are some external power brick fanless switches out there. The biggest port count I've noticed is 8. If low noise is a priority, the only choices I'm aware of are (1) an NVR without built-in POE (and verify the noise level before committing to it), or (2) A quiet running PC with Blue Iris. Both require external switches. Do you know if your Daha camerea are chinese market models or not? If you don't know, post the model numbers and somebody here can likely tell you.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a pair of Cisco SG350-10Ps managed switches. They are fanless. I got cameras from Andy. I believe they are International models, i posted in above reply. IPC-HDW5x. Blue Iris is out because I refuse to run Windows, and that is a whole other story.

I am leaning toward NVR-5216-4KS2 at the moment.

Thank you for the replies...

M

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want quiet, definitely go with an NVR that does not have any POE ports in it.
Then use your cisco switchs to power the cams.
How do you use your cameras?
Do you just record continuously and nothing else?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing fancy. Yes only to record and local playback if needed. Also need to be able to download any video that is important. My Cams have 128gb disk that are suppose to continuously record as backup. They are not working and I asked Andy if I had the latest firmware. No answer yet but they only record for a few minutes even thou the disks show large amounts of storage. Pretty sure it is a programming error on my part...

Thank you for the reply,

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is out because I refuse to run Windows, and that is a whole other story.
There are plenty of other vms out there for linux snobs who shoot themselves in the foot and arbitrarily refuse to run windows yet have no issues or qualms running random NVR's that are known to have exploits and back doors direct to china.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Purchased a NVR5216-4KS2. Thank you for the replies.

M
How are you finding the new NVR5216 ?
I have a Dahua camera set up which is forever growing but my NVR5216 was missing form my last order.
So need to reorder with a differnent supplier or maybe try one of the newer models ?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will let you know as soon as it arrives. My 10TB Purple disk has arrived.

M

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I got NVR from Andy. Initial observations.

When it starts up the fan is noisy, after it boots the fan is quiet. Obviously a variable fan driven by heat. I installed a 10TB Purple drive easily. Room for 2 drives but only running one drive. One drive says it will hold ~50 days with my 9 IPC-HDW5x31R-ZE cams. Strange thing I have to run the Dahua cams on ONVIF as there is setup for canon, panasonic, samsung axis, arecont etc cams but not one for Dahua cameras. Anyway the NVR automatically records 24/7 from the factory which is actually what I wanted. The only issues I ran into so far is 1) Dahua Doorbell DBII does not work. 2) The 6mp cams I have only record at 1020P. I am hoping that those can be fixed as I struggle going thru the manual and setup on NVR. I have not tried to down load video yet to a USB.

M

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes sir I fixed that now. Talked to Andy. Still no doorbell...

M

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well my reordered 5216 as an ETA 8/5/20 so won't be long before I have chance to compare with my outgoing 4108