Please tell me if I am on the right track, building Server:

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be building a Skylake based i7-6700 computer, 275GB SSD, 3TB HD, 8GB 2400MHz (2x4GB) DDR4,

At my home I have Six 3MP POE Cameras on a gigabyte network and using Milestone XProtect Go. I am not opposed to changing to Blue Iris if the benefits outweigh Milestone’s features.

Does Intel Quick Sync work with Milestone and does it reduce the CPU load? Does Milestone use the Intel Quick Sync on the i7 6700 or i5 6500 CPU’s

How much ram is really needed on a Milestone System running six cameras, 8GB or 16GB, does Milestone take advantage of more ram?

Since I am using Milestone Go and never going to need more than 8 Camera and cannot record more than 5 days how much storage is ideal? I have a 3TB drive now is that enough.

Suggestions? Am I missing anything?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will be building a Skylake based i7-6700 computer, 275GB SSD, 3TB HD, 8GB 2400MHz (2x4GB) DDR4,

At my home I have Six 3MP POE Cameras on a gigabyte network and using Milestone XProtect Go. I am not opposed to changing to Blue Iris if the benefits outweigh Milestone’s features.

Does Intel Quick Sync work with Milestone and does it reduce the CPU load? Does Milestone use the Intel Quick Sync on the i7 6700 or i5 6500 CPU’s

How much ram is really needed on a Milestone System running six cameras, 8GB or 16GB, does Milestone take advantage of more ram?

Since I am using Milestone Go and never going to need more than 8 Camera and cannot record more than 5 days how much storage is ideal? I have a 3TB drive now is that enough.

Thanks
Milestone supports quicksync...milestone essentials is now FREE for up to 8 cams. No storage limit. Go is over with.

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Milestone supports quicksync...milestone essentials is now FREE for up to 8 cams. No storage limit. Go is over with.
Yes you’re right. Thanks for replying.

Is there anything more beneficial to use Blue Iris?
Does Milestone take advantage of more ram? Do I need more than8GB ?
Using 3TB drive is that enough?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you’re right. Thanks for replying.

Is there anything more beneficial to use Blue Iris?
Does Milestone take advantage of more ram? Do I need more than8GB ?
Using 3TB drive is that enough?

Thanks
I dont know about milestones ram usage. You should be fine with 8...since your will be limited to 8 cameras anyway...
storage capacity depends on how long you want to store video for and the bitrate you are recording it...that is a personal choice.
I would suggest using trying milestone and if it suits your needs then stick with it...I have not fully tested the latest essentials but off the top of my head, it does not allow for nas archiving, two way audio, ptz preset patrol, or more than five users...its not as versatile for pc based motion detection/alerts/profiles...but does have a full client that blue iris does not have. Its also free. My preference is BI.

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman your help is greatly appreciated. Just a few more questions.

Is there any downside to running Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 or visa versa?
Does Milestone support Direct-to-disc recording and does that reduce CPU usage?
Can Milestone run as a service and does it save more on the CPU?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman your help is greatly appreciated. Just a few more questions.

Is there any downside to running Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 or visa versa?
Does Milestone support Direct-to-disc recording and does that reduce CPU usage?
Can Milestone run as a service and does it save more on the CPU?
Windows 7 security updates will eventually expire...they you will have to pay to upgrade..and since a clean install is best, you will need to wipe everything..
I believe milestone only supports direct to disk or at least that is the default. (it should be set default in blue iris too)..
Not sure about the service..I have to tinker with it more.

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Milestone does run as a Windows service, so it starts without logging into the computer on boot. Milestone uses very little CPU for the recording server less than 15% for a 8 camera setup. This is because it can use motion detection from the camera HW. That's my experience running on an i3 with Hikvision camera's. The live view is what takes resources.

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows 7 security updates will eventually expire...they you will have to pay to upgrade..and since a clean install is best, you will need to wipe everything..
Good point about Win 7 vs. Win 10. One more question.

I plan on building a Mid Tower with a 4 memory slots (future proofing, so later I could add another HD with Storage Pooling and could increase the Ram if needed, etc.) Where is the best place to get a 80+ platinum certified 240W Power supply?

Thanks again.

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Any suggestion on where to get any 80+ platinum certified Power supply?

Thanks again