Pls help deciding on NVR for Dahua system

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning on a system with 4 cams.
2x IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M
2x IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP

I may in the future add a couple more but undecided.

I am keen on a NVR that has POE builtin if possible. I have a tight space for my NVR/screen etc and wanted to see what model I should buy?

Is this one enough for my needs?
NVR4208-8P-4KS2

Also can I use any old computer LCD monitor?

I want a set and forget sort of setup. Definitely need to be able to check the footage from mobile phone.

Is it easy to get the camera view to another monitor elsewhere in the house? Do I need to run a HDMI cable?

Thanks very much.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have NVR 5232-4KS2 without POEe and love it.
Thanks man. Do you see any disadvantages to having POE builtin? I wanted to reduce cables and complexity as much as possible. I won't tinker once it's setup.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two of the 4208-8P-4KS2 in outdoor weatherproof boxes for our HOA. They've worked fine for 2+ years running 3 2MP cameras each all max bitrate and FPS.
To access the cameras directly you must go through a link on the NVR as it assigns IP's to the cameras on a different subnet.

That said, the 52XX series is a bit more powerful and robust.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks man. Do you see any disadvantages to having POE builtin? I wanted to reduce cables and complexity as much as possible. I won't tinker once it's setup.
I consider there are 2 major disadvantages to built-in POE:
1. Lower replacement cost if something fails.
2. High fan noise compared to non-poe nvr

Having a separate switch doesn't have to add very more cables.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To access the cameras directly you must go through a link on the NVR as it assigns IP's to the cameras on a different subnet
Thanks! I am very new to this but does this make it easier or harder to use a mobile to check on your cameras?

Having a separate switch doesn't have to add very more cables.
Is there a non POE version that I could consider? Could you recommend a switch that's appropriate?

Do you guys know of a graphic where it explains how the switch is wired etc to the NVR? I am still trying to get my head around the concepts! Thanks.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
To find a non-poe nvr, just remove the 8P or 16P from the model number. For instance, NVR4208-8P-4KS2 becomes NVR4208-4KS2. If simplicity is important, you probably don't want something like the 26 port Cisco switch I use. It's an example of the killer deals on used enterprise level switches readily available on ebay. There's one of many discussions here Reccomend me a POE switch . If fan noise is an issue, there are some fanless switches that use external power bricks. I think they're limited to 4 or 8 ports. You can stack switches to get more ports but I suppose you might consider that getting more complicated. It's really pretty easy. The comments about the enterprise level switches being noisy are correct. For a monitor, the NVRs generally support VGA and HDMI. Check the specs. I do 99.9% of my viewing on a computer via the home network. I don't do remote access so can't help with that. That's where complexity could hit you.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For a monitor, the NVRs generally support VGA and HDMI
I see so I can just use my laptop to view em rather than needing a monitor! Great, because I'd like to avoid a monitor under my stairs! Thanks.

I will look into a POE switch and go for a NVR without the POE functionality. Thanks!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can view the cameras equally easy on a mobile device or your laptop on either version, with or without built in PoE ports.

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
You can view the cameras equally easy on a mobile device or your laptop on either version, with or without built in PoE ports.
Thanks for the reassurance! I self monitor my home alarm so really need functionality to view these cameras remotely.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There's an app for that. And a laptop software that allows viewing and some management. If tu want to go deep into settings you log into the NVR/camera via its web interface.

Both the mobile app and pc/laptop software allow you to monitor multiple cameras/NVR's easily

OrangeHue-whitebalance.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
That type of switch, yes. That particular switch, there are probably better ones.
Will hunt around. Throw me some brand names if you know any. Personally I would have rather got Dahua branded but it seems like people are encouraging me away from it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s not a POE switch from what I’ve just read? In order to provide power to the cameras over the same Ethernet switch you need to make sure the switch provides POE.

Various brands will get mentioned, so for example I use a TrendNet which has 8 POE ports and 2 gigabit ports for uplinking.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer unmanaged switches for a home network. I also prefer small switched to larger switches, no need to but all your eggs in one basket. I also found it is easier to run cable if you place switches around the house.

Look at
Netgrear GS108LP
Netgrear GS108PP

there have been a number of posts reporting problems with the BV-Tech switches.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just bought a NVR5432-4KS2. This one is a monster, supports four hard drives, 1 e-sata. But I think the biggest feature of this guy is that it has dual NIC lan. I get the benefit of VLAN but I can also jack into the VLAN bypassing the NVR. The Dual NIC supports either loan balancing, redundancy, and the separated vlan.

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question; if I get a NVR with POE but later change my mind about having a switch, could I bypass the POE and add a switch while keeping the same NVR? Thanks!