Plug-in for iPad or Android?

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So thanks to a lot of people's suggestion on this forum, and to minimize the chance of my network being compromised, I set up my Asus router as a VPN server. Two days ago I didn't know how to do that but I am slowly learning thanks to everybody. I set up openvpn as well as pptp servers.

From what I understand, one of the safest ways to view your NVR from outside of your network without opening ports is to install the client software and connect to your home network through the VPN. Then you can simply put in the local IP address of your NVR and see the cameras that way.

So I installed open VPN clients on both my iPad as well as my Galaxy S9 Plus. I can connect to my home network open a browser and put in the local IP address of the NVR. Everything works well until I log in and there is no picture it says I have to install the plug-in. On my house computer I did already install the plug-in and the cameras are easily viewed but apparently when I remote in those plugins are not there and I could do everything but see my cameras.

I I really wanted to avoid forwarding any ports. Any ideas how to make this work?? I know there are apps like dmss light but since my NVR is 192. X. X. X and my cameras are 10. X. X. X I don't think forwarding any ports would work anyway. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So thanks to a lot of people's suggestion on this forum, and to minimize the chance of my network being compromised, I set up my Asus router as a VPN server. Two days ago I didn't know how to do that but I am slowly learning thanks to everybody. I set up openvpn as well as pptp servers.

From what I understand, one of the safest ways to view your NVR from outside of your network without opening ports is to install the client software and connect to your home network through the VPN. Then you can simply put in the local IP address of your NVR and see the cameras that way.

So I installed open VPN clients on both my iPad as well as my Galaxy S9 Plus. I can connect to my home network open a browser and put in the local IP address of the NVR. Everything works well until I log in and there is no picture it says I have to install the plug-in. On my house computer I did already install the plug-in and the cameras are easily viewed but apparently when I remote in those plugins are not there and I could do everything but see my cameras.

I I really wanted to avoid forwarding any ports. Any ideas how to make this work?? I know there are apps like dmss light but since my NVR is 192. X. X. X and my cameras are 10. X. X. X I don't think forwarding any ports would work anyway. Any ideas?
you cant install those plugins on your mobile browser, you need to use the manufactures mobile app. You dont need to forward any ports to use the mobile app if you are using vpn. The app connects to your NVR not the cameras, just as it does when you are on your local network.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and while pptp (if that's what you're using) is better than port forwarding, I'd look at something better as it has been compromised. Like l2tp/ikve2 at least.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you cant install those plugins on your mobile browser, you need to use the manufactures mobile app. You dont need to forward any ports to use the mobile app if you are using vpn. The app connects to your NVR not the cameras, just as it does when you are on your local network.
If I may ask, for Dahua which app are you talking about? I could not get dmss to work

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought that was a port to forward, and If I'm using my local IP through vpn it's not needed. No?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that was a port to forward, and If I'm using my local IP through vpn it's not needed. No?
you are confusing port forwarding with ports. even locally, data is sent over specific ports.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You seem very knowledgeable about how this stuff works, so maybe I can ask you a quick q to further my understanding: so a cam is at 10.x.x.x through the nvr. My entire network is 192.x.x.x. is it possible to connect directly to the camera if I want to without taking it down? I know if I connect the ethernet cable to a laptop, I can change the Network IP range and subset to that of the camera and directly connect with its IP. What can I do that through the network? I assume since the router is 192.x.x.x the answer is no

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You seem very knowledgeable about how this stuff works, so maybe I can ask you a quick q to further my understanding: so a cam is at 10.x.x.x through the nvr. My entire network is 192.x.x.x. is it possible to connect directly to the camera if I want to without taking it down? I know if I connect the ethernet cable to a laptop, I can change the Network IP range and subset to that of the camera and directly connect with its IP. What can I do that through the network? I assume since the router is 192.x.x.x the answer is no
I dont use NVR's. There are many ways to do this, including simply clicking on the explorer icon in the NVR interface or you can go old school like this Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@drrich1101, fenderman's first suggestion is probably the easiest. The NVR should have a tab somewhere that shows camera information, and next to each camera should be an Internet Explorer icon. If you click on that, it should connect you to the camera.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually found that last night very possibly based on your explanation to somebody else and I was thrilled to be able to directly access the camera so thank you

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it works...you need to enter the local nvr address.
You were correct, so thank you. It was simply iDMSS light or plus from the App Store, entered my local ip and login, and it was done.

Is there any security benefit to changing that port that almost every camera uses, the 37777 to something else? Or is that totally not hackable.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You were correct, so thank you. It was simply iDMSS light or plus from the App Store, entered my local ip and login, and it was done.

Is there any security benefit to changing that port that almost every camera uses, the 37777 to something else? Or is that totally not hackable.

Thanks
no, you are using VPN..