plugged in new IPC-HFW1831E ... not showing up

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if a manual is required to use a network device then the setup/configuration was not well planned out in the design stages..
If you wanted a setup/configuration experience "well planned out in the design stages" for consumers, then buy a consumer-grade camera designed for the home environment. Nest, Arlo, Ring, ... there are a million different brands that are designed for the home environment where having DHCP around is pretty much a given.

Professional-grade cameras are designed to be installed in environments that may not have DHCP servers. In additional, contractors hired to install cameras in these types of environments are never guaranteed to have access to the client's routers and/or DHCP servers (if they happen to exist). So for scenarios like this, the camera coming out of the box with a KNOWN static IP address (vs DHCP) is an aspect that was well planned out in the design stage.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
......and if a manual is required to use a network device then the setup/configuration was not well planned out in the design stages...
Reread that sentence to yourself a couple of times to absorb how contradictive it is: you have little or no network experience and yet you want to set up a network device. Realize also that your issue was resolved for you by others on this forum who, over time and through not only reading manuals but by performing hands-on configuration and improving their understanding of how networks work....so they could use network devices effectively AND provide assistance to others.

......shockingly the only manual i had to read in the past 40 years is for a rice cooker.....
So you're telling me that you never used a vehicle owner's manual or haven't owned a new car since 1979?
Don't tell the auto industry, as they could save HUGE amounts of money by eliminating their thick, well prepared owner's manual in the glove box and replacing it with a CD that contains an equally HUGE .PDF file.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if it had worked i would not have posted, well i did post too early because i was trying to do other things unrelated ...tho i did figure it out without having to RTFM
and if a manual is required to use a network device then the setup/configuration was not well planned out in the design stages...
shockingly the only manual i had to read in the past 40 years is for a rice cooker, and no it does not have an ethernet port
if ya'll wanted this website to be public then dont expect simple questions not to be posted
I actually like skimming manuals and I often do it before I buy a product. Doing so can often reveal if a product is crap before you buy it. There are certainly things that I don't even glance at the manual for. On some products (like these cameras, it would be kind of nice if they gave you some bullet points on the first page of the manual with the essentials.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
if it had worked i would not have posted, well i did post too early because i was trying to do other things unrelated ...tho i did figure it out without having to RTFM
and if a manual is required to use a network device then the setup/configuration was not well planned out in the design stages...
shockingly the only manual i had to read in the past 40 years is for a rice cooker, and no it does not have an ethernet port
if ya'll wanted this website to be public then dont expect simple questions not to be posted
You must be really clever as for me I’ve had the opposite. For any network device I’ve had to had a look at either the quick start guide or do a quick google to see what the default setup might be so that would be establish default IP address or config, default username and default password.

If the device is a WiFi device then I’ve had to consult the manuals to see how to get it connected to the home network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it would of been much quicker for you to have RTFM, then posting here and waiting for someone to respond. Be glad we have access to the pro grade equipment, instead of having to rely on the consumer grade CRAP that is being spewed out.
I hear this at the range all the time, after some jackwagon is pointing his gun at me, not following the rules, I get on them about it, and the reply is "I've been handling guns for 40yrs, I know what I'm doing". My reply is "Well then you've been doing it wrong for those 40 yrs, stop pointing that effin gun at me, keep it down range."