Plugins for cameras won't since Firefox update

Reaction score
I'm having a problem getting access to all my cameras since Firefox update to 52.0, the ESR version.

My cameras are Foscam FI9828W (2 of these still work out of 3) and 3 brand new IPC-HDW5231R-Z IPC-HDW5231R-Z/S2 Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera 2.7mm-12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera, and one Dahua SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera.

All of the Dahua camera are being set up now. I've been getting what I need to have them put out in there spots. I'm on fixed and very low income, so its taking a while, but finally got got all I needed.

With the Foscam, it says "plugin not found, click to download". I do and follow each step and it says its completed. however after it say download completed, I go back to the login screen and the "plugin not found, click to download" is still there. I can't access there page to change the setting. some are set to night, not IR, I change the brightness and other stuff so there is color at night.

With Dahua, it says to, "Please click here to download and install the plug-in". I click the link it downloads. When I click it, it says " Unspecified error". So I can't set up my new cameras.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Do I need to move to a different browsers? I prefer to stay with firefox, but can flip to another just for the camera

Thanks in advance

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Several threads have already been created and discussed this. Your 51 will update again it's just a matter of time. You can manually add NPAPI support back in with the following steps I've outlined in a few threads.

open a new browser tab in firefox
1. enter the following: about:config
2. you will be prompted with a security warning, accept and move past it.
3. right click on the screen over one of the exsisting commands and goto "New" then select "Boolean"
4. enter the following: plugin.load_flash_only
5. accept/ok
6. set tag to "false"
7. accept/ok
8. press "shift+F2" to open command line
9. type "restart"
10. this will force firefox restart and when it comes back up you should be good to go!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the Blue Moon browser based on recommendations here. FF stopped supporting the plug-in. BM supports my Dahua nvr and cams.

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to Pale Moon. Looks like this is my last option for a browser solution for my IP group. (and so far is working with all of the camera brands in my stable)

My most recent issue was my Amcrest 721's that would fail to work on Firefox (even with the above guide) and IE 11 started getting cranky. What surprises me is Amcrest don't seem to recognize or act on the problem. Their solution is to direct you to their desktop software (like Surveillance Pro) but it works only with their cameras, thing is I have quite a collection of brands and would like to have a one product to cover them all. (as a bit of a newbie, I find Blue Iris to be a bit to complex... )

Curious, does anybody have a suggestion for good desktop software that is easy to use and covers all brands of IP cameras?

Thanks

Martin

RGlover

n3wb
Reaction score
Several threads have already been created and discussed this. Your 51 will update again it's just a matter of time. You can manually add NPAPI support back in with the following steps I've outlined in a few threads.

open a new browser tab in firefox
1. enter the following: about:config
2. you will be prompted with a security warning, accept and move past it.
3. right click on the screen over one of the exsisting commands and goto "New" then select "Boolean"
4. enter the following: plugin.load_flash_only
5. accept/ok
6. set tag to "false"
7. accept/ok
8. press "shift+F2" to open command line
9. type "restart"
10. this will force firefox restart and when it comes back up you should be good to go!
I created this account just so I could thank you. Recently I have been unable to make adjustments to my Trendnet TV-IP751WIC camera via Firefox even though it had been working pefectly for the last 4+ years. I couldn;t figure this out until I came across your post. Your solution worked perfectly, thanks a million!!!

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious about the "Plug-in" issues for Chrome and other browsers.

Well the Firefox tweak above did not work for me (the 32bit Pale Moon was a solution for me...for now...) I got thinking about some very old Foscams that I'm running in a remote location (f18910W), Well not the greatest quality image the one thing that has always amazed me is how long I have been able to run these early cameras with regular browsers and without out all the grief that has come with my FDT and Amcrest cameras that I also have.

The experts might be able to explain this but when logging into the old Foscam's you get a menu that gives you the options of Active X / Push Server / Cell phone.... I'm going to assume this is the cameras UI ? Thing is, up until recently Chrome handled the cameras fine, Explorer still works good and no issues... even Firefox has no issues, no tweaking no drama.

Why is this early UI so stable yet the newer cameras can't seem to get it straight and have to make it such a PITA? Also funny, none of my newer cameras have the sound quality of the old Foscam 18910W... models that followed later the sound turned garbage. Even more amazing is these indoor cameras have been stress tested outdoors, freezing, cooking... and they just keep ticking.

One other question... Pale Moon is bugging me about an update (Running 27.2.1 right now)... Anybody know if the update has any issues with the plug-in's ?

Thanks

Martin

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pale Moon is bugging me about an update (Running 27.2.1 right now)... Anybody know if the update has any issues with the plug-in's ?
look at Pale Moon future roadmap
Pale Moon supports and will continue to support the following features/technologies:
  • Full UI customization
  • Full theming (complete themes) and lightweight theming (personas)
  • XUL and XBL to build interfaces and applications (including the ability to launch independent XUL-apps from the browser binaries).
  • NPAPI plug-ins
  • XPCOM binary components for extensions
  • Overlay and bootstrapped extensions, including restartless ones
  • Access to low-level APIs from extensions
  • Pale Moon Sync (in the secure, time-tested Weave fashion)
Update it to your hearts content.

EDIT: typo limit exceed, sleep required

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Recent Palemoon (V28.0) issues,

Maybe a combination of things but after adding an few extra devices (Amcrest NVR and another Amcrest camera) to my local network, Palemoon has wants me to download and install the plugin again. I do so but then randomly cameras (Amcrest) that had previously worked (both remote and local) also request the re installation of the plugin. Tried going back to earlier versions of Palemoon (currently 29.#) but no success in getting rid of the glitch. Any thoughts?

The version of plugin that Palemoon points me to is 3.0.0.3.... What I find interesting is, depending on the camera I'm trying to view, the file being downloaded is a different size. So...if I try to view one camera (an older camera in the system), the downloaded plugin will allow the camera to be viewed (3.0.0.3 1.34MB). If I switch to the newer camera, it requests me to download the plugin (again), this time the file (has the same name and version # but is a larger file 1.7MB), I install it, the newer camera works, but ... you guessed it, the older camera does not.

Thoughts?

Martin

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can only share your agony. I've got different dahua cameras and have to change the plugin version sometimes due to the issue you've run into. The very latest camera I got forced me back to Pale Moon v25 to run its plugin. But some of the nvr functions don't work with that Pale Moon, however they do work with Firefox 52ESR. So for some nvr functions I use one browser, and for the other functions I use a different browser. I've got 7 different camera plugins saved. Each one works with a different subset of the cameras. What a mess these plugins are!

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Palemoon had worked flawlessly for over a year, trouble started when I installed the Amcrest NVR and a 825E camera... Trying to figure out a way to have both plugins installed at the same time. There should be a way to install to another sub folder or something? I have sent both files to Amcrest for comment... but I won't hold my breath ;-)

M

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if Armcrest is built by Dahua or not. if it is, and you're using Windows, take a look at Program Files/webrec. That's where my camera plugins get installed to. I ended up making subdirectories to copy each set of plugin files to, and batch files to copy them back to webrec. Doesn't take much longer to just reinstall the plugins. As installs go, it's pretty fast.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Palemoon had worked flawlessly for over a year, trouble started when I installed the Amcrest NVR and a 825E camera... Trying to figure out a way to have both plugins installed at the same time. There should be a way to install to another sub folder or something? I have sent both files to Amcrest for comment... but I won't hold my breath ;-)

M
I'd try this:
open about : plugins (no spaces)
find the camera plugin path.
make a copy of the plugin folder elsewhere on your computer with the camera model, plugin version, and camera firmware version in the folder name
maintain similar copies of all plugins
copy these to the palemoon plugin folder and see if you can make them work.

***I haven't actually tied exactly what I'm suggesting*** The plugins may behave badly if they don't have access to some particular hard coded paths, but I would recommend creating your own backup of different plugins.

I'd use something like winmerge to compare differences between plugin versions.

I did dig into the Mac OS plugin a while ago and patched a couple typos that were causing plugin compatibility issues.

Last edited:

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently mashing about with much the same thought, creating another folder for each installed plugin (version)...will re-read the above posts and see what sort of damage I can do ;-)

Ah... and just for the joy of it all, looks like the NVR plugin is different then both of the camera plugin's, I missed that because it worked ok with the older cameras...

Thanks

Martin