Plugins for cameras won't since Firefox update

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua nvr plugin files are in Program Files(x86)\webrec .
Even though it's a 32bit plugin, I've often seen it installed in Program Files not Program Files (x86)

There are a bunch of things you can do to bend plugins to your will. I've done many of them over the years, but I've forgotten what works and what doesn't on the camera plugins.

Some thoughts/ideas:
mozilla based browsers check a whole bunch of different locations for browser plugins. There are a bunch of locations that may have /plugins directories as well as a bunch of registry keys used to point to plugins. Plugins that aren't in specific folders the browser checks are found by an environment variable or registry key.
This is a bit old, but you get the idea: Plug-in Basics

The Dahua plugins put a registry key at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\...
Before you go mucking up your registry or parts of your registry, export a backup of relevant settings.

If you look at other plugins in your registry (non-camera), you'll notice some of them do some things a little differently defining multiple mime types or defining multiple versions and pointing them to the same file. If I remember correctly it's possible to make some similar registry changes to improve compatibility of the plugins. Changes may also be required to a manifest file in the plugin directory.

You can also merge some of the files from different plugin installations together (add missing files) but that may not work.

It's possible to use userscripts to alter a webpage (greasemonkey), and do things like change the plugin detection code that runs on the webpages for certain devices.

Even if you can gain some additional functionality making some tweaks like this, it's likely you'd discover some things don't work right.

Last edited:

Martin2017

n3wb
Reaction score
What would make this process much simpler would be to have the installer ask for its install location, an option I don't seem to have. At least with that option the device would look for its own plugin.

Palemoon comes with a built in plugin that installs to: C:\Program Files (x86)\IPCWebComponents\npIPCReg.dll (Which I think is an old Foscam plugin?)

The Amcrest file heads off to: Path: C:\Program Files\webrec\Torch\3.0.0.3\npmedia3.0.0.3.dll

I have even noticed that occasionally I see a plug in installed to: C:\Program Files (x86)\webec.... (which must have something to do with one of the Amcrest plugins.

I have always wanted to have access via a browser but more and more it looks like I will have to settle for a program that can handle the task. Always amazed that my little android program IPCam Viewer has worked so well with so many cameras, unfortunately you can't play back recorded material and or make any in depth adjustments. Still waiting to see if Amcrest has plugin in fix that will work with Palemoon but as I expect I know I will be on my own! ;-)

Cheers

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What would make this process much simpler would be to have the installer ask for its install location, an option I don't seem to have. At least with that option the device would look for its own plugin.

Palemoon comes with a built in plugin that installs to: C:\Program Files (x86)\IPCWebComponents\npIPCReg.dll (Which I think is an old Foscam plugin?)

The Amcrest file heads off to: Path: C:\Program Files\webrec\Torch\3.0.0.3\npmedia3.0.0.3.dll

I have even noticed that occasionally I see a plug in installed to: C:\Program Files (x86)\webec.... (which must have something to do with one of the Amcrest plugins.

I have always wanted to have access via a browser but more and more it looks like I will have to settle for a program that can handle the task. Always amazed that my little android program IPCam Viewer has worked so well with so many cameras, unfortunately you can't play back recorded material and or make any in depth adjustments. Still waiting to see if Amcrest has plugin in fix that will work with Palemoon but as I expect I know I will be on my own! ;-)

Cheers
Plugins are dead. Don't expect much if any development effort from the cam mfgs on plugins at this point. The truly sad thing is how badly the existing plugins work given how long the mfgs have been developing them.